The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2018, 06:44 PM   #1
KLCane

Anyone try the sticky holster??

I have heard that they actually work well for IWB in addition to fitting well in the pocket. I'm a bit leery of not having a clip on my holster.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:30 PM   #2
jonnyc

We sell a lot of them and people have been pleased. You need to wash them periodically to restore the "stickiness".
Old March 21, 2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Kwik2010

I carried a 642 in one for quite a while. Mainly in my pocket but I slipped it into my waist band on occasion and it always held in place. I found myself checking it continuously throughout the day because I knew in the back of my mind that I didn't have anything more substantial holding in my waist band other than friction. That bothered me to no end and I ended up changing it out for a kydex holster my buddy made that clipped to my belt. I can honestly say it never fell out under any of my day to day activities but once again I didn't carry it iwb often. Not sure if that helped but it may give you a little insight.
Old March 21, 2018, 10:48 PM   #4
tranders

For these style of holsters I prefer Remora holsters. I think they are of a little better material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2018, 11:08 PM   #5
Water-Man

I believe it has a lot to do with your body build.

My son, 6'1" w/33" waist, uses one IWB all the time with no problem. And he is very active.

A person with extra meat around the middle, not so well.
Old March 22, 2018, 05:06 AM   #6
TJB101

I have one for my Sig 238 ... works great. The ‘wing’ on the holster does more to release the gun from the holster when drawing the gun as it catches on the edge of the pocket.

So much easier to drop that into my pocket vs a IWB or OWB holster. And so much more comfortable driving.

But, while sitting, it is not the easiest to draw. Has its advantages and disadvantages.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:33 AM   #7
Scoits

Works well
Old March 22, 2018, 07:53 AM   #8
David R

LIke it, Girlfriend uses one too.

david
Old March 22, 2018, 09:00 AM   #9
kraigwy

I have and have been impressed.

Before I introduced them to the women in my Ladies Firearm Safety and Self Defense class I had my wife try it.

Wearing yoga pants, or leggings (what ever they are called) the put her Smith 642 in the holster and tucked it in the waste ban. If you ever saw such pants you know there isnt much of a wast ban, just some elastic. She's a skinny little thing, but still when she danced around the gun/holster stayed in place.

Other girls in my class have tried them and like them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 22, 2018, 02:02 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I've had a few clip-less Remoras. They worked 95% of the time.
But, because of that other 5%, I've gone to clip holsters. ...Though half of them are still Remoras.

That "other 5%":
Too sweaty. Too dirty/dusty. Too vigorous of activity. Wrong pants/belt to work right.
Old March 22, 2018, 02:41 PM   #11
TailGator

I have a Remora, and my wife has one, too. I use mine mostly for pocket carry, with occasional use as an IWB, and it has never given me a problem. I don't wear it IWB all day, though, and both of the pistols we use them with are Sig P238s, pretty small. My wife uses hers IWB quite a bit, and says it stays put quite well.

My only experience with bigger guns is second-hand. My daughter has one for her Beretta PX4 Compact and said it was stable. A friend had the same report with the same pistol.

Basically, they work way better than I expect. As someone else mentioned, the stickiness decreases a bit with time. Simple washing didn't help mine, or at least not enough. I scrubbed it with dish soap and an old toothbrush and it went back to like-new, though.
Old March 22, 2018, 05:08 PM   #12
scsov509

I've got two Remoras that I used for a while, and they're not awful. What I found for me though is that they add a lot more bulk to the gun then something comparable in kydex or leather, so that I don't like them personally unless I'm using them in a pocket where I do think they can work well.
Old March 23, 2018, 06:10 AM   #13
kymasabe

I have a few for pocket carry and they work well, my daughter also uses Sticky holsters, neither of us would consider them for IWB use without a clip of some kind.
Old March 24, 2018, 12:34 PM   #14
dano1200r

I've used one with a Smith and Wesson 642. It stayed put in my pocket when drawing the gun. But as stated, drawing while seated requires me to straighten my leg, so I don't use it if I know I'll be sitting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old March 25, 2018, 10:35 PM   #15
5whiskey

I've used a remora with a clip. For me the clip isn't needed as best I can tell. I still prefer owb carry in a thumbbreak pancake style holster. That just my style. I don't care about not printing, I've found that the overwhelming vast majority of society doesn't notice. Plus I open carry on occasions (duty carry when I'm not plain clothes duty) so I need the retention.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 26, 2018, 10:37 AM   #16
jrothWA

I heard of a sticky holster in Seattle, a security guard had to pull sidearm and couldn't due to spilt soft drink gluing the duty arm and holster together.

Follow-up was she was given a taser is a shoulder holster for accessibility and cleanliness..
Old March 31, 2018, 05:53 PM   #17
Tacoma

We have sold well over 500 of them at the shop I work at. ( Maybe over 1000 ) It's a (very) rare case where we hear a complaint from an actual owner/buyer.
I own and use 2 myself for my Walther PPS, S&W 360 and S&W BG380.
What I like best is the versatility. That lack of clip allows me to wear in Kidney , small of the back or pocket positions. For $27, they are quite a bargain!
Old March 31, 2018, 07:59 PM   #18
kenny53

I have a couple I use for pocket carry. I like them a lot.
Old April 2, 2018, 03:43 PM   #19
CraigV

I use the remora for my G42. I also have one of their mag pouches and like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 2, 2018, 08:09 PM   #20
LilPewPew

Is that the one that like compresses onto the gun from the pants or something?
If so that seems kinda sketchy to me and I wouldn't trust it.
Old April 3, 2018, 03:29 AM   #21
Model12Win

The Remora material gets uncomfortable after a while against my skin. It starts to get irritating after a while.

The Sticky holsters don't do this and feel very velvety and conform better to the gun over time. They are certainly my choice over the Remoras. I've had several and use them often, I think they are great and are super convenient and low profile.
Old April 3, 2018, 03:56 PM   #22
chris16371

I was just reading your thread and the sticky holsters peaked my interest. Idk if you have come across this video but it compares the 2 and speaks of some issues. It's the only video I've watched on them so far and like I said I know nothing about them so take it for what it's worth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zwKMAYPvM

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk