The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2018, 06:56 PM   #1
webberwood

Optic for CZ 452

I’ve been allowing my CZ to be a safe queen for far too long now so it’s time for an optic. I’m looking for something that’s either an adjustable objective, side focus or rimfire specific. The gun will be primarily used for squirrels but I also have an interest in long for caliber range (150-200 yds) paper punching. The CZ is an absolute tack driver and deserves an appropriate optic. My current top pic is a Leupold Mark AR 4-12x40 AO. Suggestions and opinions welcome!
Old February 6, 2018, 01:54 PM   #2
2damnold4this

I use a fixed 4x Nikon on my 452 but that might not be as much magnification as you want. I enjoy hunting with the rifle and scope and plinking bottle caps at 60 yards is fun.
Old February 6, 2018, 03:45 PM   #3
std7mag

150-200 isn't that long a distance for 22lr.

Check out the Sightrons.
Also looking at a Burris.
Old February 7, 2018, 12:48 PM   #4
webberwood

I’be heard good things about Sightron. I noticed that they also have a 4-12 with adjustable objective. I’m curious how they stack up against a leupold though. I’ve grown quite accustomed to their vx3 line.
Old February 8, 2018, 04:58 AM   #5
ms6852

I use a Big Sky Sightron 4X14X42 on my 22lr. I love shooting all my 22's beyond 200 yards. This scope is great, but I paid about $500 a few years ago. I know that someone is selling a used one for $350 on accurate shooter dot com.
Old February 8, 2018, 06:14 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

If you can still find one, a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40AO with the LR reticle. There's still some around, but you have to look to find them.
Old February 8, 2018, 04:17 PM   #7
webberwood

Does anyone have experience with the Nikon p-22 EFR target? It is 3x9 and has the AO as well. Looks like they can be had under $200
Old February 9, 2018, 06:43 PM   #8
spacemanspiff

When you do get yourself a scope, I would like to see pics of your groups at 150-200 yards. I rarely shoot my CZ past 50 yards because group size gets atrocious. Probably not using the right ammo for that distance.

I have a Leupold 2-7x on my CZ. Would like a little more magnification but its perfect out to 50 yards.
Old February 9, 2018, 06:59 PM   #9
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
When you do get yourself a scope, I would like to see pics of your groups at 150-200 yards. I rarely shoot my CZ past 50 yards because group size gets atrocious. Probably not using the right ammo for that distance.

I have a Leupold 2-7x on my CZ. Would like a little more magnification but its perfect out to 50 yards.
I normally do not shoot at a target other than the initial zero for the scope just to get on paper. What I do is place clay targets on a berm at about 230 yards. The berm allows me to see impacts for adjustments. On windy days it becomes way more challenging, but it is still a lot of fun.

I have found that aguila hypervelocity rounds to be very accurate on my 10/22 ruger. I am able to hit fragments of the clay target as well. There does not seem to be much of a transition that happens once the bullet goes to the transonic stage. I find the subsonic rounds are affected more by the wind, probably because it takes longer to get there and the wind has more time to shift its direction. Just an observation no scientific proof.
Old February 10, 2018, 02:36 PM   #10
RC20

Quote:
That's what I have. Warne rings. Very nice Rimfire specific scope though its rugged, approved to shoot on an AR as well (per Leupold).

One you get past 50 yards the least cross wind or drafts is going to drift that relatively slow moving bullet. I shoot clays out at 100 sometimes, it works fine for that. Its all Kentucky windage out at anything over 70 yards.
Old February 13, 2018, 02:38 PM   #11
scottycoyote

for the money i really like the various offerings from hawke vortex and nikon. They all have comparable glass at the different price points, and offerings with ao and ir. Ive been comtemplating a new scope with a small red dot, something along the lines of 4x18....i like headshots and being able to zoom on in for a longer shot.
Old February 13, 2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Fotheringill

Whatever you do, make sure you will have bolt clearance. The CZ rimfires have a very high bolt throws.