The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2018, 07:41 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
it's safer at the indoor range
The ranges I frequent are all pay by the day. I have only felt the need to take a break due to safety while someone else did their shooting once at the outdoor ranges. I do so pretty regularly indoors. I'm not sure I could count the number of times I have been muzzled at indoor ranges. Part of that is most people indoors are shooting pistols and outdoors is rifles.

Quote:
I really like the automatic target holders, very easy to change a target , no interruptions
That is the huge year round benefit. When I am doing a lot of pistol shooting the indoor ranges always tempt me.
When it is cold out I tend not to shoot. The indoor ranges either have enough ventilation they don't stay that warm or they have it disabled/lowered when it is cold.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:54 PM   #27
mr bolo

at the indoor ranges you can also turn off the light in your stall to practice shooting in dim light or try out your night sights

I can shoot better groups at the indoor range because the conditions are perfect, no heavy winds / cold or wet weather , target is straight and your standing on a nice level surface

when people pay to use a range it seems to have more responsible shooters, since they will be asked to leave if they do unsafe handling or dont follow the rules, some places say no rapid fire, and some indoor ranges allow it.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:53 AM   #28
Machineguntony

Nowadays, there are two types of indoor ranges: the old school range and the current crop of guntry clubs.

Almost every new range built nowadays follows the guntry club model because they cost so much to build from scratch. I looked into building one, and the lowest cost possible, after land, permits, construction, etc, all in was $10,000,000 minimum. And that’s on the low side. The ROI on new indoor ranges is horrible.

That’s why I appreciate people who build new indoor ranges. I’m a member of a guntry club here locally, even though I rarely ever go to it. I joined and pay annual dues just to support it (and also because my wife prefers how clean and upscale it is). I much prefer the old school hardcore range, of which I’m also a member, and shoot there frequently.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:10 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I much prefer the old school hardcore range,
MMMMMMMMM.......... Heavy metals.
Much of that cost is location dependent. I know it has been done in the flyover for less recently.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:45 PM   #30
AL45

We had a very nice range open up a couple of years ago. The first thing I asked the owner was it OK for me to pick up my brass and he said no. I told him then I wouldn't be shooting there. He must have had other complaints because he quickly changed that rule. My complaint is that it is too loud with certain calibers. And I feel a ittle funny shooting a rifle at a 25 yard range. I thankfully have a great spot outdoors on a friends land.
Old March 18, 2018, 11:26 PM   #31
mr bolo

always wear good eye protection & hat

I was using an indoor range and found this near my stall, I also felt something hit my ankle that felt like a rock but was low velocity and I was wearing boots

I dont know how these bullet pieces made it back to my area? these are not mine they were from other shooters.

my guess is the bullets deflected off the wall or floor or ceiling and bounced back toward the stalls, they never made it to the trap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-18_211634.jpg (69.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by mr bolo; March 18, 2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old March 19, 2018, 12:58 AM   #32
DaleA

Well sometimes the trap can get deformed. If it gets really dinged up there's no telling what the result could be.

I shot at a range for .22LR and pistols where the whole back wall was some kind of metal plate from ceiling to a sand floor. The metal was at a 45 degree angle so pretty much as long as you shot 'down range' you'd be okay. Well somebody brought in a high power rifle and before anyone stopped him fired 3 rounds that made nice little nickel sized craters in the smooth sloping metal. A round hitting the crater just might come back at you. I'm not sure what they ever did about it powers that be weren't pleased about their backstop getting dinged up like that.
Old March 19, 2018, 01:35 PM   #33
RGRacing

Twin Cities Shooter here - Stock and Barrel, Chanhassen. - Best so far for a city boy. RO sweeps brass to me - I'm nice and so is he. I have a Nylon Laundry Bag Brass catcher - no issues.

Lanes are 25 yards long, and can accommodate any caliber up to .50 caliber.
Old March 19, 2018, 01:40 PM   #34
Jim Watson

I do not consider the recent "rifle rated" bullet traps to be an advantage to this pistol and .22 shooter. Doesn't matter how good the trap is or how much acoustic tile they use, a rifle inside is LOUD.
It is also good for business, so I understand their viewpoint.