The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 5, 2014, 06:56 PM   #1
wayneinFL

Reporting identity theft

To what law enforcement agency would you report fraud due to identity theft?

Here's the situation. I live in Florida. I am currently working in GA. I found today that 3 transactions went through against my bank account in Freehold, NJ. The bank knows about it, and has shut off my card, and filed a claim.

Freehold won't take a police report, because I can't do it in person. MCSO in FL won't take the report, because I am not there either. Kennesaw won't take the report, because I am a resident of FL and the crime happened in NJ.

It sounds as if I will get the money back eventually. I hope that happens. In the meantime, crooks are walking around with my hard earned money and there's not a damned thing anyone will do to stop them. These people did this in front of a security camera in Barnes and Noble and are going to get off scot free.

Looking at the apathy of all 3 jurisdictions, it's no wonder that consumers are paying over a billion dollars a year to fund these crooks.

Is there anything I can do to get something done about this?
Old April 5, 2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Interstate crime ==> FBI
Old April 5, 2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Sarge

Depends on the laws of your home state. Some states, like MO, allow a resident to make the report with the agency having jurisdiction where they live.

Your immediate problem is to get a report made and/or fax a fraud affidavit to your bank, so they will abate the debits against your account.
Old April 6, 2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Fishing_Cabin

wayneinFL,

Attempt to make a contact/report with the agency in your home state who issues your photo ID. Like DMV. I don't know about FL off hand but I know the NC DMV License and Theft guys take ID theft pretty seriously. I would advise you to check with your home state and see who is over investigating ID theft, and set up a time to meet with them and share the information you have. You may have to make a report in your home state so that they have jurisdiction in the matter.
Old April 6, 2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Salmoneye

At least they are well read criminals...

(Sorry...Couldn't resist)

Been there...

Had 5 brand new smart phones and 5 service plans taken out in my name at a security cammed Verizon Store in the midwest a few years back...All they had was my card number...No ID, and gave a false SSN...I verified all of this myself by going through the local Verizon store...

No one wanted to hear about it...Filed a report with the FBI and never heard another word...

The only time I had used my card anywhere near that part of the country was one time on the phone buying a part for an antique outboard motor...Business was 20 miles away from the Verizon store, and only one week had elapsed between my legit purchase and the crime...

I figured even the FBI could do the math on that one...

I wish you luck!
Old April 6, 2014, 07:25 AM   #6
wabashman

I had my card compromised last week. Freaking douche bag crooks stole 1300$ from me. I filled a report in Pennsylvania where they used it to purchase some dominoes pizza. Was no need to file one locally as nothing was used here I guess. Now the waiting game to see if any charges will be filed.

I should have all my money back come Tuesday of this week.
Old April 6, 2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Be sure to file a written report with the three credit agencies (Experian, Equifax, and ???).
Old April 6, 2014, 06:30 PM   #8
wayneinFL

Thanks for the responses. I received a response from the people in NJ I tried to contact yesterday.

Quote:
We received your spirited email.

Unfortunately, you contacted the wrong police department.

We are the Freehold Borough Police Department. Barnes and Noble is in Freehold Township, and the restaurant is in Howell Township. Both have their own investigative units.
"Spirited" was a kind way of putting it.

Howell has gotten back with me already, waiting for a response from Freehold Township.

I contacted the bank, and since the transactions in NJ happened 4 hours after I made a transaction in GA, it was pretty clear it was fraudulent.

I did check my credit reports, and each one of my other cards. Nothing so far, so it looks like maybe they just got my name and debit card number.

I'm hoping they haven't gotten my driver's license number. I'm going to look into that Monday.
Old April 6, 2014, 07:40 PM   #9
WyMark

Sounds like credit card fraud rather than identity theft. Happened to me a few years ago after a visit to a restaurant in another town not far away. When I noticed the charges I called my bank, they had already flagged one ~$450 charge as likely fraudulent. There were two other charges for ~$100 each that I put a stop on, I had to contact both vendors and explain that the charges were fraudulent and they they would not be paid. One hadn't shipped yet and stopped the order, the other was able to recall their order from the shipper before it was delivered.

I got a new card, and nobody got screwed. Moral of the story: check your credit and debit accounts every day or two for charges that shouldn't be there. I notified the restaurant, hopefully that waitress got the boot but who knows how many other cards she was able to scam.
Old April 6, 2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

While this is certainly an unfortunate occurrence, it doesn't really fit the mission of the forum.
Closed Thread