The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2000, 04:15 PM   #1
nralife

When a thread is locked, could the moderators please give a bit more of an excuse why they did it other than a silly rolling eyes graphic? A rolling eyes graphic may be cute and "hip" but it conveys nothing and it makes you guys look like smart asses .

Thanks,
Joe
Old September 8, 2000, 04:26 PM   #2
nralife

...and no, it wasn't one of my threads that was locked.

Joe
Old September 8, 2000, 06:54 PM   #3
FUD

On a related note, can a moderator re-open a thread? I was looking at the buttons on the bottom assuming they are the ones available to moderators and there doesn't appear to be a re-open one.

Suppose you lock the wrong thread by mistake. I've deleted files by mistake but fortunately they ended up in the trash bin and I was able to restore them. What happens if you close the wrong one by mistake? Can you unlock it?
Old September 8, 2000, 07:11 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

First off - We Don't Need an "Excuse" to lock or even delete a thread.
Also - as we have jobs elsewhere and we are volunteers for TFL - sometimes we dont have the time to write out the full reasons for closing a thread... and if we do a Roll Eyes - then the reason is probably self evident if you have read the whole thread.

Also - we do not automatically reopen a thread... unless the thread is hot and continuing. Otherwise the option remains for members to reopen the thread if they wish to carry on that discussion.

Yes - if a thread is closed by mistake - we can and do reopen the threads... Move the threads... remove - whatever.

We dont want to walk over any members, or anything like that. But please bear with us as TFL has become very very large and threads can move very fast - when you get dozens of threads per forum a day, it can be hard to keep up.
If you take a day off - good luck trying to catch up! I dont think other sites have to volume that we do and still try to keep everything under control... not with this crowd!

Oh - and the next person that calls one of us a name will be tasked with trimming the grass and bushes around all our firing ranges with a pair of toenail clippers!

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited September 08, 2000).]
Old September 8, 2000, 08:33 PM   #5
nralife

First off - We Don't Need an "Excuse" to lock or even delete a thread

Yes sir mein Fuerer.

I made a simple request and even used the word please. I don't want to hear a bunch of crap as an answer! Go trim your own grass.

Later,
Joe
Old September 8, 2000, 10:52 PM   #6
RWK

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited September 09, 2000).]
Old September 9, 2000, 11:11 AM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

nralife - I sense you have some issues.
Take it to email - you can find my email address as you can any other staff member.
Since I have not locked any threads lately - I'm thinking you have some issues with another staff member?

Oh - by the way - check your email.
Closed Thread