The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 20, 2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Virgil Cofer

Ruger Single Six

I am new here and have a question. I have been given a Ruger Single Six 22LR/22MAG revolver. From the serial number I have found that it was made in 1975. I have the original box, papers and owners manual.

Q#1, I see several comments about a "3 screw" model. What is a "3 screw" model?
Q#2 How do I tell if mine is a 3 screw model?
Q#3 Is a 3 screw model more prefered? and why?

Thanks for the add to this group. I live in a very rural area on 5 acres and like target practice out in my yard. So convenient than having to go to a gun range.

Keep your powder dry.
Old March 20, 2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Virgil Cofer

Never mind, further exploring with Google, I have found my answers
Old March 21, 2018, 12:04 AM   #3
Mycin

Congrats on the new revolver. My Single Six convertible was the first handgun I ever bought, back when I was still in college, in the '80s. It's still going strong. They're good guns.
Old March 23, 2018, 03:44 PM   #4
gunman5646

Single six is a solid performer

That revolver you just bought will outlast you. You'll probably find that it's a little more accurate with 22 WMR, but you'll shoot 10 X as many LRs. Perfect companion for walks in the woods, fishing in the outback. They also come in Single six in 32 H&R, single seven in .327 Fed, Single 9 in 22 WMR, single ten in 22 LR, and the list goes on. I have a few myself and love them all. The smaller frame fits most folks perfectly.[IMG]jpeg[/IMG]

The three screws are more prized by collectors, but the new models(2 screw) are safer and function just as well. If you have a 3 screw, only load five rounds and rest the hammer on an empty chamber, just like a Colt. If it's a new model, load all six with full confidence that you have the safest single action ever designed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3230004.JPG (79.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by gunman5646; March 23, 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old March 23, 2018, 04:10 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I've had a Super Single Six (dual cylinder, adjustable sights) since 1983, and other than where I've dinged the finish, its still as good as new.

Quote:
If it's a new model, load all six with full confidence that you have the safest single action ever designed.
Just to be clear, "new model" refers to the transfer bar lockwork system Ruger introduced in/about 1973. The guns say "new model" on the frame.

The original system, what is today called "3 screw" is functionally identical to the Colt SA, the new model Ruger is safe to carry with all chambers loaded. The 3 screw models are NOT, and must be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber for safety.
Old March 23, 2018, 04:23 PM   #6
dgludwig

If one so desires, I think Ruger will still convert the original Single Six design (to be carried with the hammer over an empty chamber) to make it safe to carry the revolver with six rounds (like the "New Model") for free.
Old March 23, 2018, 04:47 PM   #7
stinkeypete

Sacredge!!! Convert an old Single Six to a new one??? May as well convert it to tofu and granola! Convert it to pink bunny pajamas with attached footies or a 1968 vw bug! No!!!

Sorry about the rant. Please don’t convert that beautiful revolver, take pride in it and ride an empty cylinder under the hammer.
Old March 23, 2018, 05:16 PM   #8
rpenmanparker

I hope you like it. I owned one for about four months and sold it. I thought it was drop dead gorgeous, the Hunter model. It just didn't work for me. 7.5" barrel was just too long and heavy.

Enjoy.
Old March 23, 2018, 06:14 PM   #9
dgludwig

Quote:
Please don’t convert that beautiful revolver,
I guess I never thought of the head of a screw as ever adding anything in the way of better looks to an otherwise already beautiful revolver.
And there's certainly nothing wrong with being able to fill all its chambers safely while carrying a "six-shooter". In terms of "tradition", if any soldier, lawman or settler who had to depend on a single-action revolver while the West was being tamed was ever given the choice of a six-shooter that could only carry five rounds safely vs a six-shooter that could safely carry, well, six rounds, everything else being the same; guess which one he'd pick...
Old March 23, 2018, 08:32 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If one so desires, I think Ruger will still convert the original Single Six design (to be carried with the hammer over an empty chamber) to make it safe to carry the revolver with six rounds (like the "New Model") for free.
Even if one doesn't desire, Ruger will still convert it. If you send an "old model" (3 screw) Ruger SA to Ruger for any reason, they WILL convert it to the new model type parts.

Ruger doesn't have a choice, and neither do you!!!

Conversion of every old model they get their hands on was part of the legal settlement of the lawsuit that Ruger lost, which resulted in the new model design. Ruger was not required to recall their revolvers, but they were, and still are, required to convert any old model sent to them, for any reason.

In other words, even if you tell then not to, the conversion will be done. If they gun only needs a single part, or rebluing, the conversion will be done. If Ruger doesn't convert the gun, they are in violation of the settlement agreement.

Ruger used to, and should still send you back the original parts, so YOU can "unconvert" the gun, if that's your desire, but Ruger HAS to do the conversion, whether you want it done, or not.
Old March 23, 2018, 09:00 PM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Three Screw Single Sixes.

If you send one back to Ruger to convert to transfer bar parts, when you get it back the action will not be as good as it was originally. The parts for converting a Three Screw to a transfer bar model are a compromise in design. They do not function as crisply as the original design did.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with the modern transfer bar design, I just prefer the Three Screws.

Old March 23, 2018, 09:29 PM   #12
Armybrat

The only Single Six (3 screw) I've ever owned - bought it new in 1959. Still locks up tight as a tick.

Old March 24, 2018, 04:54 AM   #13
tallball

The three-screw has a much better trigger. Since mine are range toys, there's no way I'd trade the amazing trigger on my 44 magnum SBH three-screw for the ability to carry six instead of five; I don't carry it anyway. The trigger is very, very good.

My two New Model Blackhawks are good revolvers with nice triggers; I shoot them well. But the three-screw trigger is a whole different level of smoothness. I am a mediocre shot, but with the 7.5" barrel and the sweet trigger, that SBH makes it look like I know what I'm doing.

Last edited by tallball; March 24, 2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old March 24, 2018, 05:12 AM   #14
tallball

And just ramblin' on, semi-OT...

My first or second firearm was a Ruger Single Six 22 convertible with a 5.5" barrel. I was a teenager. I could go shoot it in the fields or woods pretty much whenever I wanted. It was accurate and I was good with it. I could consistently kill a squirrel running across a branch or a rabbit running in a field. I gave it to my BiL when I was in my mid-30's and I have no idea what happened to it after he passed away. (He wasn't technically even my BiL at that point, but we were still close.)

I tried various 22 pistols and revolvers after that, but wasn't particularly pleased with any of them. Finally I bought a Browning Buck Mark. I was pleased with that! It has great sights, great trigger, and I probably shoot it better than any other handgun that I own. It's amazing.

But I still didn't have a 22 revolver I liked. I went through a few more of them. I didn't like them, and my spoiled daughter (who only likes target pistols) turned up her nose at all of them after just a cylinder or two.

Then I found a 6.5" Single Six on GunBroker for cheap because the finish was bad and it was missing a $10 part. I got it for $120-something. One $10 part and a bottle of Cold Blue later, and it was ready to go. My daughter shot many cylinders through it without comment. Finally I asked her if it was okay. She said, "It'll do." Yeah, it will. We both shoot it pretty near as well as (and occasionally better than) the Buck Mark.

Last edited by tallball; March 24, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old March 24, 2018, 05:33 AM   #15
roadrash

I bought my son a 5.5" stainless convertable several years ago that is very accurate regardless of cylinder ammo combination .
Old March 25, 2018, 08:12 AM   #16
johnwilliamson062

I've had a few favorite guns over the years. Most held that spot for a few months after purchase. My single six has held it since bought 5+ years ago. Just love it.

Many claim the old guns have better triggers than the new.
Old March 25, 2018, 09:05 AM   #17
jackmoser65

Quote:
Sacredge!!! Convert an old Single Six to a new one??? May as well convert it to tofu and granola! Convert it to pink bunny pajamas with attached footies or a 1968 vw bug! No!!!

Sorry about the rant. Please don’t convert that beautiful revolver, take pride in it and ride an empty cylinder under the hammer.
^^^ What he said!

It's quite likely that any old model you buy will have a smooth action and a 2-4# crisp trigger. Not so with any new model. The conversion action is terrible, even worse than the new model.

As far as I know, there is no legal requirement for Ruger to do what they do. It's a voluntary retrofit on their part, not a recall and not part of any settlement.
Old March 25, 2018, 09:37 AM   #18
OldScout

I had a Ruger 5" 22/22mag revolver for several years. I just got tired of hand ejecting spent casings and loading 6 round by hand. So I gave it to a BIL and he still has it. Very reliable and accurate pistols.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:44 PM   #19
dgludwig

[QUOTE] Even if one doesn't desire, Ruger will still convert it. If you send an "old model" (3 screw) Ruger SA to Ruger for any reason, they WILL convert it to the new model type parts.

Ruger doesn't have a choice, and neither do you!!! [UNQUOTE]

Well, you do have a choice: if one "doesn't desire" to have the revolver converted, don't send it to Ruger. As 44 AMP noted, if you choose to send it, Ruger will convert it-which is why, I guess, you sent it in the first place if conversion was your desire.
44 AMP also said that Ruger will return the original parts if you want to "reconvert the conversion" and though I too think that's probably still true, I've also heard that they no longer do. Some people want the original parts to keep the gun more "collectable" in monetary terms.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:59 PM   #20
spawndn72

I have a flat gate model 3 screw made in 1957 that I love. Of all the things I own, it will probably be the most fought over item by my kids when I die.