The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Venti30

Quick question for Dillon 650 users with double alpha bullet feeder

Hello all,

I am am using a Dillon 650, started with it roughly 4 or 5 months ago, reloaded roughly 5,000 rounds.

I am considering using the double alpha mr. bullet feeder.

My my question for you, if you use the 650 and this bullet feeder, were you able to retain the use of a powder checker by combining the seat/crimp station?

I find it comforting to know that if I am not looking, that powder check is there to back me up.

Lastly, if you use this bullet feeder and care to share how it’s working for you, good or bad, I’d also appreciate your comments there as well.

look forward to your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by Venti30; March 23, 2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old March 24, 2018, 01:15 AM   #2
BigJimP

I load on a 650 as well / had it about 15 yrs...and I believe in the powder check die, would not load without it...and I reload & shoot about 35,000 handgun rds a yr. And I would not have a 650 without case feeder either...

A buddy decided he wanted the bullet feeder on his 650....so he's been our guinea pig on the option - in my group of buddies that reload - he has had it installed for about a year. He reloads and shoots about 8,000 rds a yr..almost all 9mm & a little .45 acp - but he has not purchased a conv kit for the .45acp. I helped him install it / pretty easy...and he kept the powder check in sta 3 ...so he gave up the seating die in sta 4...and used his Dillon final sizing die in sta 5 to seat & size finished round.

Its performed very well ...no issues losing seating die in sta 4, at least on a tapered case like 9mm.

Does it save him time...no, not really over my procedure. At $ 500 more or less, would he buy it again ....he's 50/50....have any of the other 6 guys that we know bought it, after we all test drove it on his press....no...

The reason I say it really saves him no time...my procedure:
I put about 10 bullets in my left hand ...bring one bullet to my finger tips...as I rotate handle on press up...I hesitate as case is two thirds of the way between sta 3 & 4 ...after powder check...and I place bullet on that case ..and ride it a little into sta 4 as I complete the cycle with the handle - seating a new primer.

At most, my procedure vs bullet feeder adds 2 sec to a cycle of one finished round...or 100 sec to a box of 50 rds...( so call it 1 1/2 extra minute - per box for me vs him...)...

I usually sit on stool at press ...and run 300 rds at a time..( 25 min or so )....and he says he runs 6 boxes in about 20 min...

I like toys & gadgets....but I'm a no on bullet feeder for same reason I have not purchased the elec primer filler ( is either option really worth it to save a little time....)... My buddy is a guy that likes "toys"...so he likes bullet feeder...but I asked him one day, if he bought another 650 for use at their "cabin"...would he put bullet feeder on it, he said no, probably not...

So, its a 50/50 ...option to me...but it will probably save you 5 min on every 6 boxes...
Old March 24, 2018, 03:14 AM   #3
Venti30

Hey big Jim,

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m not a speedy reloader. I’m 50 this year and have a problem with my left hand due to an old hockey injury where I broke the connection bones palm to thumb that presents itself in a funny way. If you imagine holding a deck of cards, thumb and finger grip, creates a painful situation after some time. Turns out the process of picking up 9mm bullets and placing in seating station creates that same discomfort. So, I’m just looking for a way to remove a repetitive motion from something I like to do. It’s truly not about speed, just about ergonomics I guess for lack of a better way to describe it.

Thanks though for your input, much appreciated.
Old March 24, 2018, 08:12 AM   #4
BigJimP

I'll be 68 this year, so yes I understand ....arthritis and a rebuilt shoulder are my issues...and there are days where it doesn't work well for me too. In that case, you may find its a good idea to install one.

Reloading should never be a "speed" event ...but on today's better progressive presses ..like the 650 -- with a case feeder and a powder check die installed -- 15 boxes an hour is easy to accomplish. I only bring up speed because when most people evaluate bullet feeders, its about saving time.

Last edited by BigJimP; March 24, 2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Doublehelix3216

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP View Post
my procedure:
I put about 10 bullets in my left hand ...bring one bullet to my finger tips...as I rotate handle on press up...I hesitate as case is two thirds of the way between sta 3 & 4 ...after powder check...and I place bullet on that case ..and ride it a little into sta 4 as I complete the cycle with the handle - seating a new primer.
This mimics my process as well. I find that as I "ride" the case to the seating station with the bullet, it helps with the powder spraying issues that I get with my 9mm loads as an added benetit.

I also with you that I would never want to load without the powder check die (although I actually use the RCBS Lock-Out die instead). I am not so sure about the seating and crimping in one station yet.

I also think that by placing the bullet by hand, it helps me to keep a better eye on things. I have a feeling that if I was just pulling the handle over and over again without any interaction, I would get distracted and zone off and might miss any potential issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP View Post
I like toys & gadgets....but I'm a no on bullet feeder for same reason I have not purchased the elec primer filler ( is either option really worth it to save a little time....)...
Here is where we differ! I love my Frankfort Arsenal Vibraprime for loading primers into the primer tubes. It just takes seconds, and honestly, it is almost fun! I tend to load up 5 tubes at a time (500 primers) and it just takes me a couple of minutes at most.

I do find that SPP's work much better than LPP's however.

Back to the OP's questions, if it is a matter of ergonomics for you, then you have a bigger motivation to add the bullet feeder. For me, it is an expensive option, and I load several calibers, so that adds cost and time to the caliber changes.

As I already mentioned, I am loathe to lose the powder check die station, and would have to experiment with seating and crimping in one station.

It is an expensive luxury I think, and if I had one more station on my XL650 so I could keep the powder check die, it would be an easier decision.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:33 AM   #6
BigJimP

I agree with you in the sense that I would add the vibrating primer filler before I would add the bullet feeder. ( ..I'm just being cheap ..and haven't ordered the primer filler )...

Barring major issues with my left arm or hand, I would not add the bullet feeder. ( my concession to my hand issues - about 2 yrs ago / I retired my 5" Wilson 1911 in .45acp & started carrying & shooting my Wilson Combat 5" 1911 on 9mm )... way less abuse on those old hand injuries for me.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Old 454

Speed is over rated. The object is to make a better bullet then you can purchase.
I use a 650 also.... i don't need to go crazy trying to make x amount of ammo per hour
Old March 24, 2018, 08:49 PM   #8
kapfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venti30 View Post
Hello all,

I am am using a Dillon 650, started with it roughly 4 or 5 months ago, reloaded roughly 5,000 rounds.

I am considering using the double alpha mr. bullet feeder.

My my question for you, if you use the 650 and this bullet feeder, were you able to retain the use of a powder checker by combining the seat/crimp station?

I find it comforting to know that if I am not looking, that powder check is there to back me up.

Lastly, if you use this bullet feeder and care to share how it’s working for you, good or bad, I’d also appreciate your comments there as well.

look forward to your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

I have a 650 and Mr bullet feeder. Been reloading several pistol calibers for a year now and I use RCBS and Double Alpha crimp seating dies. Seems to work just fine regardless of the caliber. Just picked up everything I needed for 223 and bought the double alpha crimp seating die so going to give it a try soon enough. I just plink so I’m not trying to make match grade ammo but I will say all of my reloads have better accuracy than store bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 25, 2018, 12:32 AM   #9
jmorris

Quote:
Yes,you can do that.

The GSI allows you to retain the powder check in #3, seat in #4 and crimp in #5 but they don’t make it anymore. The Lee bullet feeder allows you to feed and seat at the same time too but it doesn’t work worth for very long before you need to boil the fingers, making it less than useful as a time saving device.
Old April 7, 2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Venti30

Update:

Ordered and installed mr bullet feeder and I have to say it works great!

Again, I wasn’t looking to speed up, just simply get rid of the repetitive motion of placing the bullet.

Installation was a snap, adjustment was alright, I found that having it on the rim of my case feeder made seeing/adjusting awkward, but it was a quick process.

Highly recommend mr bullet feeder for a 650.
Old April 8, 2018, 10:23 AM   #11
GWS

If you ever miss your lost crimper station, consider using a video screen and camera to replace your powder check station. Works great for me.
Old April 8, 2018, 11:15 AM   #12
Venti30

I actually removed the powder check. I did get a snake camera but found it’s easy enough to see the powder if standing or on my stool which is a bit higher than standard height.

I’ve found the most reliable part of a Dillon to be the powder drop.