The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 30, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1
chrisb38002

AR Cleaning Question

I recently purchased an AR, my first. I am concerned about during normal cleaning, stuff such as solvents getting into the gas block and tube, causing problems later. Any suggestions on how ot prevent this, or keeping this clean? The manual does not say anything about it.
Any input would be welcome.
Old April 30, 2010, 06:00 PM   #2
B. Lahey

Don't clean it, don't mess with it, don't worry about it.

I know, it's bizarre, when I first got into ARs after many years of cleaning other rifles, it felt wrong to just leave it be, but that's what you do. The AR gas system, as I understand it, operates at higher pressures than a lot of other types of gas-operated designs. Crud, solvent, lube, very small squirrels, and anything else that may get in there will be blasted out of the block and tube on firing.
Old April 30, 2010, 06:07 PM   #3
chrisb38002

Thanks. Makes sense.
Guess I was thinking about an old SKS I have that has a rod which pushes the bolt back. It can be removed so the tube can be cleaned out.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4
DnPRK

Clean with the upper receiver sitting upright. Gravity will keep any solvent or oil from flowing uphill into the gas block and gas tube.

If it really bothers you, go to the auto parts store and buy an aerosol can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner for $3. Buy a brand that comes with the little plastic straw that fits into the spray nozzle. With the BCG out of the receiver and muzzle held low, use the straw to blast brake cleaner into the receiver end of the gas tube. You'll see brake cleaner dribble from the muzzle (do not let the brake cleaner dribble onto the linoleum floor or the wife unit will be very p!ssed). Brake cleaner will remove oil, so be sure to run a lightly oiled patch through the bore after using brake cleaner. Then follow the oiled patch with a dry patch.