The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 14, 2001, 05:33 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

I think it's a neat little subgun. The Soviets, Chinese, and most of the Communist World used them to effect for a long time, though eventually most ComBloc submachine guns were replaced with the AK-47.

Anybody fire one? I think it's biggest drawback would be from the weak cartridge it fireds. 7.62x25 may be high velocity, but as far as I know, it's below 300 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.
Old April 14, 2001, 06:06 PM   #2
Hard Ball

I've fired them. I have been shot at with them more times than I like to remember. The 7.62X25mm Tokarev cartridge was loaded to 1400 to 1500 feet per second, certainly equal to the 9mm Luger. The 71 round drum was a plus. The weapon was fairly reliable.
Old April 14, 2001, 06:13 PM   #3
Nightcrawler

I guess...

having that bullet go in one side and punch out the other would probably ruin your day...

Update: Went to the Muzzle Energy calculator at http://www.zvis.com/bvtengy.shtml

Using the Type P-41 7.62x25mm cartridge as an example, I calculated its muzzle energy. The P-41 has a 74gr bullet with an 8gr charge, and produces muzzle velocities (from the Burp Gun's 10.5" barrel, of about 1600 feet per second.

According to the calculator, it generates about 420 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. And this is military ball type ammunition. That's compared to 115gr FMJ 9x19mm, which generates 341 foot-pounds, and Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+ JHP ammo at 1220 fps, which generates 410 foot-pounds of muzzle energy.

Not bad, actually, not bad at all.
Old April 14, 2001, 07:00 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Germans were impressed enough with it to carry it themselves. Guess they loved that drum magazine.
Old April 15, 2001, 07:49 AM   #5
Rex Feral

I've shot about 500 rounds through one, and was pretty impressed with the weapon.

Positives:

The safety/selector is right where it should be, you can move it without breaking a firing grip on the weapon, and it is SAFE-SEMI-AUTO. It is good to have a semi position with a the high rate of fire of the weapon.

The weight is balanced well, and aids in control when firing full-auto.

Cleaning is a snap, pull the rear receiver cap and hinge the receiver/barrel group down, then pull the bolt out to the rear. Similar to the M-16, without the dirty gas operation. Just pour hot water down the barrel, swab it, wipe off the bolt, reassemble, and you're back in business.

Negatives:

The mag release is unusual, you must lift the lever instead of just pushing forward with a finger.

The drums rattle when loaded, and you may go through a few before you find one that your particular weapon likes, but if you use the 35 round stick mags this is a moot point.