The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2021, 06:53 PM   #1
deerslayer303

12g SxS double hammer Boom Stick

Hey Ya Fellers,
I am and have been in the market a long time for a double hammer 12ga SxS shotgun with damascus barrels, the whole nine yards. I am perfectly ok with it having 2.5" chambers as loading stuff with Holy Black is kinda my gig. My question is which ones should I look out for that maybe just maybe won't require selling the farm. I just got back from my local hardware store with a broken heart. I raced down there when they called me because they know I'm looking for an old SxS. They have an old W. Richards (not Westley Richards) Belgium in there. it is missing the left firing pin and the barrels are loose. So that one is a no go. Any help or advice you guys could offer is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping there were some Mass produced gems that are rock solid shooters. I could care less about it being worth 20 grand as long as she does what she was intended to do. MAKE SMOKE!!
Old February 5, 2021, 08:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know current prices but the hammer Remingtons are solid guns and used to be common.
Old February 5, 2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Pahoo

Questions ??

Howdy Slayer !!!!
Good to hear from you. Just so I'm better informed, you are shopping for a breech-loading SXS with Damascus barrels, that you can shoot. Right ???
They can still be found but mostly Wall-Hangers". Pedersoli is still making a BP, M/L SXS butt They are pricey.

Good hunting and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2021, 09:14 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Hey Pahoo,
Nice to hear from you as well Sir. Yes I am looking for a breech loading, side lock, SxS. I guess the Damascus isn't really a requirement. I just know most of the ones I'm looking for were constructed with Damascus?
Old February 5, 2021, 10:23 PM   #5
G.O. West

This 1947 Model 51 Husqvarna 12 ga. SxS followed me home last week ($300 CAN). Bluing a little worn but nice and tight. Triple lock up. I'm very pleased with it.

Old February 5, 2021, 11:01 PM   #6
Hellgate

What about the TTN remake of the 1887 hammered double? There should be plenty of those around.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 6, 2021, 11:48 AM   #7
deerslayer303

G.O.West, Thats a beautiful Shotgun and exactly along the lines of what I'm after. Nice score, Congrats

Hellgate,
I will have to see if I can find one of them. Thanks for the tip.
Old February 6, 2021, 01:57 PM   #8
ligonierbill

The Remington Model of 1889 is a well made gun (I have one) and not too pricey if you can find one. Nothing fancy about it. The TTN remake that Hellgate mentions is pretty much a dead on copy of the old Colt coach gun. Since they are no longer made and are popular for Cowboy Action, they go a little higher. But they are rock solid, modern, 3" chambered guns. Oh, they're cylinder bored, no choke.
Old February 6, 2021, 02:30 PM   #9
Hellgate

If you are going to shoot BP and your SXS is cylinder bored (or sawed off) you will need to handload your BP shells. That brings up the possibility to create custom loads that can actually give you "choked" patterns. I will use steel shot cups that are fairly thick plastic and are slower to open up thus giving me a modified choke pattern from those loads.
For aerial targets (popups) you can load scatter loads to have a more open pattern of #9 (or even #12) shot. Occasionally I will be met with a difficult faller that trips a clay bird pop up target. For the first shot I have a heavy load with the tighter modified pattern of 1 1/8 oz shot to slam down the faller so it flings the pop up higher above the smoke where I can get it with the scatter load. For that I am member #129 of the Dirty Gamey Bastards of long ago on the SASS Wire.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 6, 2021, 03:12 PM   #10
FITASC

Start searching on www.gunsinternational.com - it is NOT an auction site
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 7, 2021, 11:32 AM   #11
deerslayer303

TTN makes that Shotgun with 26" barrels. Fellas, I think I've found my Shotgun. I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow morning to see if they have one in stock. I really appreciate all the advice. You guys rock;

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old February 7, 2021, 12:20 PM   #12
thegatman

Lot 5378 - Hessney Auction. Ends Feb. 13th Pedersoli
Old February 7, 2021, 05:59 PM   #13
eastbank

their were lots of hammer double barreled shotguns made with steel barrels in the teens to the 20,s, stevens-H&R were a few.
Old February 7, 2021, 07:30 PM   #14
FITASC

There are still some made.most are somewhat higher priced due to the low volume
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 17, 2021, 11:32 AM   #15
bladesmith 1

Thought you wanted damascus barrels ? The TTN guns aren't damascus barreled. I have a 1873, 1882, and 1889 Remington damascus barreled hammer guns. The only one I'd sell is the 89, but I'd want 1800, a bit more than the TTN gun. But mine has 30" damascus barrels with choke in them. Oh ya, it has a bit more " experience ". By the way, I shoot BP or nitro shells all the time in it. The BP once in a while for fun.
Old February 17, 2021, 11:51 AM   #16
deerslayer303

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith 1 View Post
Thought you wanted damascus barrels ? The TTN guns aren't damascus barreled. I have a 1873, 1882, and 1889 Remington damascus barreled hammer guns. The only one I'd sell is the 89, but I'd want 1800, a bit more than the TTN gun. But mine has 30" damascus barrels with choke in them. Oh ya, it has a bit more " experience ". By the way, I shoot BP or nitro shells all the time in it. The BP once in a while for fun.
Yeah, I do or did want a damascus barreled Gun. But I guess I just have gotten irritated in the search and when I found out about the TTN guns here it got my wheels turning.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk