The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 9, 2000, 04:09 PM   #1
Bullwinkle

Please help me out. I'm desperate. This would be alot easier if she liked to shoot.
Old May 9, 2000, 04:13 PM   #2
Greg L

I don't know, I'm still somewhat in the doghouse for the Makarov I got her. Hey, they were cheaper if you bought two and I wanted one so...
Old May 9, 2000, 04:20 PM   #3
Miss Demeanors

That would be great if I got a gun fat chance of that happening I'll be lucky to get anything LOL. My little girls smile is plenty for me though

Try gift certificates (women like to shop in case you haven't noticed lol) you could get one for a store that she likes or a resturant, a gun shop (just kidding), spa, or hair place. Flowers are always good too just make sure they don't support MMM. A night off from the kids is always good too.

Hope that helps some!
Old May 9, 2000, 04:38 PM   #4
Bullwinkle

I always thought Gift Certificates were one of those "man trap" kind of gifts that are there to sucker you into something that does not show "enough thought".

Also, how old do the kids have to be before mothers day is their responsability. Right now the young one only makes poop and the old one only makes messes.
Old May 9, 2000, 05:17 PM   #5
Karanas

Sounds like you need a night out together.
You hire a babysitter.
You get her some flowers and a sentimental card.
You make reservations at a nice restaurant (do this one now - mothers day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants).
In case you didn't notice, the operative word here is YOU!
Take care of all the details by yourself.
It shows how thoughtful you are!
Good luck!
Old May 9, 2000, 07:41 PM   #6
David Roberson

Handguns: the gift of love.
Old May 9, 2000, 07:53 PM   #7
fubsy

Karansas, has the right idea.
My moms bout 62 or so now and I got her airboat ride gift certificates.....iknow, she likes em.....adrenaline junkie I think.....lol.....
-----You know you might want to consider one of those all day events at a spa, complete with facials, massage's and that sorta stuff and then top it off with dinner.......fubsy.
Old May 9, 2000, 09:31 PM   #8
Zensho

Karanas is on it. Rich food, sweet wine, lots of attention. Can't fail.
Old May 9, 2000, 09:41 PM   #9
duck hunt

I'm with Karanas. Depending on the availability of overnight babysitters and disposable income, you could make a weekend of it -- Saturday night dinner reservations and a nice hotel with room service breakfast. That's what my dad is doing, and they just celebrated their 35th anniversary, so he must be onto something.....

------------------
*quack*
Old May 9, 2000, 09:43 PM   #10
ChrisMkIV

I got my wife a stuffed bear holding a basket of goodies, inside a blown-up ballon that says "happy mothers day" on it.

------------------
"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, becuse the whole body of the people are armed"
Noah Webster
Old May 9, 2000, 10:26 PM   #11
CindyH

I agree w/Karanas, too. Also, the spa thing is nice, but look for a half day thing. My friend had a full day and said it was too much. (I personally would have to agree w/David and Miss D, though )

------------------
"...you gotta ask yourself one question...do I feel *lucky*?"

[This message has been edited by CindyH (edited May 09, 2000).]
Old May 9, 2000, 10:27 PM   #12
Jessica Wellman

I'm a gardener so any flowers for my garden would make me happy! You should see my yard. Cut flowers make most women happy, but I prefer the ones I can plant and keep all year.

If she enjoys the outdoors like we do, (sitting on the deck at sunset surrounded by all my handy work), check into a nice patio table. My husband bought me one last year that is approximately 3 feet in diameter with two chairs. The table top is done in cut glass, I believe they call it mosaic. The same pattern is in the backs of the chairs. The set is too small to use on my front porch but was perfect on the back patio. It truly is beautiful and I love it.

I'm not sure if she is a gardener or not or how much money you want to spend, but it's always the thought that counts.

OH...windchimes...I love those too. They can run you from $10 to $100. There...I hit every man's budget.

------------------
Shooter's Enrichment
Old May 9, 2000, 10:44 PM   #13
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I agree--hit her interests. Whenever I'm well and truly stuck I buy stuff related to musicals--tapes and soundtracks.
Someday when I'm no longer a starving and unemployed college student I'll substitute tickets to the real show and dinner, only been able to do that a couple of times so far.

The point is that I COULD buy her a gun, but as much as she likes to shoot, that's my thing and she'd know it.
She knows I HATE those damn musicals with a passion born of hellfire so it means a lot more when I buy them.

So, what does your wife like to do?
Old May 9, 2000, 10:51 PM   #14
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for Karanas..

Show her you appreciate her, love her.... she gave you your future, your line, your progeny, your family.
You know the right thing to do, doncha
(Go easy on the alcohol, you have a job to do )

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old May 10, 2000, 12:10 AM   #15
OkieGentleman

Try one of these two gifts for Mothers Day to you wife or mother.

Suggestion One --Go to a print shop with a small jar and buy/beg some of the glue they make note pads with. Get $100 in $2 or $5 bills -- NEW ONLY -- no used. Get a check book cover, leather would be nice for about $5 or$6. Cut a piece of medium cardboard (the type that is on the back of a yellow pad) too the same size as the bills. Glue the money and cardboard into a tear off note book. Protect the first bill from drips with a piece of paper. Let this setup over nite. Put the money into the check book (have you ever noticed that checks are the same size as dollar bills?). Wrap and give. A big hit in my family every time I have done it.

Number two -- A hundred or so dollars. New only. Gently wad up and stuff into small/medium box, so when box is opened the money pushs out and tries to over flow. The box needs to split open at the top like a standard shipping box. An odd amount of $103 or $104 makes for more fun, when she asks how much is there tell her you do not remember. When she counts and gets the odd number she has to count again to check amount. My wife said it was one of the most fun presents she ever got. Unwrapping a present takes 30 seconds, unfolding the new bills and counting will take from 10 to 20 minutes. Enjoy the after glow.
The check book gift lasted for about a month with one of my daughters, she said everyone that saw it freaked and wanted to know where she got it.

If you must give money, do it with imagination and it works much better that just handing over cash with a smile.
Old May 10, 2000, 12:26 AM   #16
CindyH

OkieGentleman....
Can't beat that Okie Ingenuity (yes, with a capital "O" and a capital "I!")

I *like* it!
Old May 10, 2000, 07:19 AM   #17
Jessica Wellman

Excellent Okie!! Neat ideas. I love giving my husband cash and gift certificates so he can buy what he wants. That puts a nice touch to the idea.
Old May 10, 2000, 08:34 AM   #18
Miss Demeanors

Very cool Okie!

Bullwinkle.....kids can make the best gifts no matter what age they are at. If they are old enough for crayons, markers, paint etc, sit with them and 'help' them make a nice picture for Mom. If they are too small a picture of the baby in an 'I Love Mom' frame is always cute too.

Another good idea if you can't 'get away' just give her the day off, don't let her do any housework, keep the kids occupied for the day and take care of any meals. Thats always nice, Moms forget what its like to have an entire day off, right ladies?
Old May 10, 2000, 09:38 AM   #19
Bullwinkle

WOW! what a lot of good ideas.

Okie's money idea is great but she already has all the money...

LadydeeJ has a good idea too but with a todler and a infant she does not have an identifiable hobby.

She would probably kill for a day at the spa but the baby would starve.

Dinner out might be do-able. Have to talk to Mom... see if she's available to sit.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 10, 2000, 02:15 PM   #20
G50AE

Check out some of these websites,
www.cabellas.com
www.gevalia.com
www.adamandeve.com
www.PoolnDarts.com
Old May 11, 2000, 09:02 PM   #21
JacRyan

My wife is due to have our first baby today (a butt-kickin' AR-15 lovin' little girl), and mentioned a Swatch watch that she wanted. It's the wider "mens" style and is pink with little inlaid hearts on one side of the band and the words "I'm your baby" on the other band.

I'm going to slip it over the baby's wrist just after the doctors leave the room. I'm figuring that would be a kick ass mother's day gift! I'll let you know how it turns out!!

[This message has been edited by JacRyan (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old May 11, 2000, 09:20 PM   #22
Jessica Wellman

Good Luck JacRyan...and yes, please let us know how it goes!!

Jessica

------------------
Shooter's Enrichment