The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2018, 04:34 PM   #26
ilmonster

I too use my Ruger SuperBlackhawk just for plinking. I shoot 240 gr. LSWC's over 5.7 gr. of HP-38 or W231 (have jugs of both) in .44 Mag cases and it shoots like a lazer from my Ruger. It has recoil like a .38, and puts nice, big holes in paper or dings steel with authority. Downloaded .44 Mag loads are a pleasure to shoot. Let us know what you decide, and how you like them.

I also use Starline cases, and with these loads I think they may last forever.

Win 231 is a super versatile handgun powder I use in 9mm, .38, .44 and .45ACP loads. Nice to have one powder for all my handgun needs!
Old April 29, 2018, 05:11 PM   #27
CommandoX

I have very good results with W231/HP38, Bayou Bullet Hi-Tek coated 240 Elmer Keith Wadcutters (.432 dia) loaded from 7.5 to 7.7 grains. 7.5 grain runs around 950fps and 7.7 is just shy of 1000fps.

Excellent accuracy for my skill level (2" or less groups at 15 yards) with a good burn. Recoil is light but noticeable coming out of my 7.5" Ruger SRH.

I have shot literally thousands of them through the gun and they run great. Between that and 7.7 grains of Unique I don't usually shoot anything else.