The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 10, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Bullistic

Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit for PA

I live in Wisconsin however I own several retail stores in Philadelphia. I am looking to get a non resident concealed carry permit because I often transport high amounts of cash. What would be the best way for me to go about applying for a permit?
Old May 10, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2
rwilson452

For starters you must have a permit from your home state before you can apply for a nonresident License to Carry a Firearm. There are many states that PA recognizes UT and FL are the most common seen.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:47 PM   #3
knight0334

Residents of WI, IL, and VT can apply for a non-resident PA LTCF. The law says that you must have one from your home state if they issue them, since those three states dont - you're exempt of the requirement.

Go to Sheriff Nau's site, download the application, mail it in with a check for $26.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp
Old May 10, 2010, 07:16 PM   #4
ohen cepel

I would look at the PA permit vs the FL one. Sometimes one gives you more states than the other.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old May 10, 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
rwilson452

I didn't know that. Ya learn something every day.

Quote:
Residents of WI, IL, and VT can apply for a non-resident PA LTCF. The law says that you must have one from your home state if they issue them, since those three states dont - you're exempt of the requirement.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:17 AM   #6
blume357

what I would do is get the Florida permit.....

takes a little bit of work and training but will be well worth the $117...

then after I got that one I'd pay the $26 to get the Centre County Pa permit.

Since you spend a good bit of time in PA it would be prudent to have a PA permit. Or you could do one even better and get a permit from one the county(s) in PA that your businesses are in.. but you can get the Centre County one via mail once you have another permit... I'm not sure it has to be a resident permit or not...
Old May 11, 2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Deerhunter

PA is set up that each county issues carry permits. They are issued for each county but accepted in the entire state. Philly is a major city. You need a seperate permit for Philly. I had my Resident permit in PA when I lived there. I would have had to go to Philly, fill out paperwork and get the permit even with a PA permit.

The part about the county permits.....I thought it was funny when I got my permit (2001) that it was maked with the county. I asked why as I thought it was just a state permit. I was told that each county issued their own permits and for the most part each county accepted the other counties permits but didn't have to. I thought that was weird though. Never had any issues in PA though.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:11 AM   #8
rwilson452

You do not need a separate License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF) for Philly. However, For residents of Philly they apply to the Chief of Police rather than the county sheriff. I would ad that Philly PD make it as long and difficult a process as they can get away with. Some would contend what they do isn't within the law. In the rest of the state open carry doesn't require a LTCF but you need one to open carry in Philly. If you do open carry in Philly expect to get hassled. In the law the exception is made for "cities of the 1st class" Philly is the only city in PA that meets this requirement.

Quote:
PA is set up that each county issues carry permits. They are issued for each county but accepted in the entire state. Philly is a major city. You need a seperate permit for Philly. I had my Resident permit in PA when I lived there. I would have had to go to Philly, fill out paperwork and get the permit even with a PA permit.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:53 AM   #9
blume357

So, the above points are that it is a good thing you are a

non resident.... will actually be easier for you to get a permit from a different county than where Philly is and then you are good to go.

I found the Centre County sight that has the application for a permit and they say you have to include a copy of your home state permit... but some how it is implied you can get one with out that if your state doesn't have permits.... you might have to call them and see what those requirements are... this county seems pretty friendly in issuing the non resident permit.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp
Old May 13, 2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Gary Slider

Since you are from Wisconsin you don't have to have any type of permit/license to obtain a PA Non Resident Permit/license. Go to the Centre County website as listed above and print an application. Fill it out and follow the other directions and mail it in. Do be advised that sometime in April or May 2011 PA law changes and you have to show up in person to apply for a Permit/License. To renew you will have to make a trip to the Sheriff's office in PA to renew. Since you are a non resident you can apply in any County in PA. I would call ahead as there are still some counties in PA that will not even give a non resident an Application. The process is simple and no training is required.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old May 24, 2011, 08:14 PM   #11
backshot

I just went to the Centre County website & it stated they are no longer able to accept LTCF applications by mail effective March 31, 2011. Since I live in Ohio I was hoping one of the border counties might have an online application I could fill out in advance but no such luck. The Washington County website said it can no longer process Non-Resident App's. Does anyone have any info on obtaining a Non-Resident CCW permit in PA? I know I have to apply in person but where? I have my Ohio CCW but want to carry when I visit PA. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old May 24, 2011, 08:46 PM   #12
shootniron

I got my non-res application in a few days before the March 31 deadline. I received it on April 27, so it was pretty quick.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by backshot
Does anyone have any info on obtaining a Non-Resident CCW permit in PA? I know I have to apply in person but where? I have my Ohio CCW but want to carry when I visit PA. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!
The new law does not say they can't issue non-resident permits, it only says they have to see your face -- no more mail-ins. As a non-resident, you can apply at any county sheriff's office.

Or you can do Florida, which is still available by mail. But, it costs more, and it requires proof of firearms safety training. (If you're a veteran, a DD-214 will satisfy this requirement.) The Florida permit is honored by Pennsylvania, and it gives you more other states than the PA permit.

Centre County still has the application on-line. Looks like it's a standard, state-wide form, with Centre County filled in. It should be easy enough to white that out and write in the name of whatever country you apply in.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:43 AM   #14
mete

It has been for NY residents ,that you have to have a FULL CARRY NY permit to get one in PA.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:44 AM   #15
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Photo ID System

I renewed my PA non-resident a year early to avoid the new in-person law. My memory is terrible but seems I recall the new law was that they need your face in person to enter your photo into their state ID photo files per the new law enacted a few years ago (effective 4/11).

My question would be...can you apply in the PA county of your choice but go to the closest LE office (such as a bordering agency next to your state of residence) to get your photo processed?

Also, I think I read that the ID system was part of a national system, so could/would your local non-PA LE office do the entry of the photo for sake of renewal?

I ask mainly for future renewals. I expect the original would need to be done at the point of application.

I think out of state license issues are a major " money maker " for the county, they probably want to make it as easy as possible for you.
Anyone have details on the photo system?
Old May 26, 2011, 06:10 AM   #16
psyfly

Second the above question.

My PA non-res permit expires in '13. I am in TX. Will I be able to renew w/o a personal appearance?