The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 21, 2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Winny

Non-carry states for Thanksgiving

Visiting some family up North for thanksgiving in some not-so-gun-friendly areas in which I cannot carry a firearm.

Although I feel a bit “naked” without my pistol on me, I’ve noticed my situational awareness is up (Big city) and I’ve been overly cautious with my surroundings.

Carrying a gentleman’s folding knife (my EDC auto isn’t allowed here), a flashlight, phone, keys, wallet.

What do those of you who live in non carry states have as your EDC?
Old November 21, 2018, 02:52 PM   #2
kymasabe

Knife rules too? What communist state are you in? NY? NJ? Mass?
Old November 21, 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Well, I still carry in those states and follow the rules of not going to stupid places at stupid times with stupid people.
Old November 21, 2018, 03:10 PM   #4
TJB101

It’s scary ... accidentally traveled into NJ the other night and had my carry on me ... just forgot it was in my pocket and zoned over the fact we were going to NJ for dinner. After freaking out I drove the speed limit and then locked it in the trunk safe ... hate that there is no reciprocity and basically I’m land locked here in PA.
Old November 21, 2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJ101
It’s scary ... accidentally traveled into NJ the other night and had my carry on me ... just forgot it was in my pocket and zoned over the fact we were going to NJ for dinner. After freaking out I drove the speed limit and then locked it in the trunk safe ... hate that there is no reciprocity and basically I’m land locked here in PA.
I did that several years ago, and it's a butt puckerer for sure. In my case, I was dating a woman who lived very close to the state line. I had taken her out to dinner and was heading for my home after dropping her off. On a whim, I decided to take a different route home to see if it would be faster/shorter. I didn't realize that route jogged through a corner of the adjoining state (injun territory, no reciprocity or recognition of my home state permit) until I came to a sign informing me that I was entering my state. Oops!
Old November 21, 2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Winny

Quote:
What communist state are you in? NY? NJ? Mass?
worse... D.C.

Found myself at a public restroom with my folding knife dangerously close to the ole gear shift in the thought that it’d be the quickest draw.

Can’t carry an auto in MD or DC (two states I’ll be in) so I grabbed the closest folder.
Old November 21, 2018, 07:12 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
Why freaking out? You recognized something and you corrected it. What's the big deal? It is not as if they have gun sniffers at the border to immediately pull you over and throw you in jail. You did the right thing, but no need to go to total panic mode and swallowing a dozen Xanax.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 21, 2018, 10:02 PM   #8
NorthIDIndependent

Living in Idaho I carry as I would wear underpants. Always a S&W J-frame, IWB or just in a pocket. With friends and family in eastern-central Washington, Im In Washington once every couple months. I just carry anyway. I even drove from state-line to Seattle then up to Bellingham, WA to visit an old girlfriend, carried the whole time. Im not entirely sure of concealed weapon laws in WA, I know they likely have some respect for Idahos Laws and the citizens that abide by those laws, but Id have to assume a concealed .357 mag is illegal. I suppose if I had reason to believe id be coming into contact with law enforcement, id consider leaving it in a car safe. In reality Its very unlikely that contact with LE would result in any search of my person. So, In theory, Under certain circumstances, Ill consider disarming.
Old November 22, 2018, 01:02 AM   #9
rwilson452

NorthID

Handgunlaw says that if you have an ID enhanced permit your good to go in WA.
Old November 22, 2018, 06:51 AM   #10
ms6852

I avoid those states but if I had to go I would still carry something inconspicuous like a NAA loaded with 22 magnum.
Old November 22, 2018, 10:04 AM   #11
jmhyer

You've probably done all that you can do. The only other thing I might suggest is pepper spray, but, obviously, you'd need to check on the legalities.
Old November 22, 2018, 10:21 AM   #12
jetinteriorguy

I don't know how true this is, but I've read that in Maryland the State Troopers have access to the list of people in VA with CC permits. They supposedly can run your plate to see if your on the list and will find some bogus reason to pull you over and search you to see if you're carrying illegally. I believe this may be true because legislation to block this was introduced in the VA legislature and was passed. At least this is how I remember it.
Old November 22, 2018, 10:55 AM   #13
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I don't know how true this is, but I've read that in Maryland the State Troopers have access to the list of people in VA with CC permits. They supposedly can run your plate to see if your on the list and will find some bogus reason to pull you over and search you to see if you're carrying illegally. I believe this may be true because legislation to block this was introduced in the VA legislature and was passed. At least this is how I remember it.
This has always worried me when I travel, is that I may get pulled over just because my license plates say TEXAS.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:29 AM   #14
Dano4734

Stay away from NY. Even those of us with permits can’t navigate the laws that keep appearing
Old November 22, 2018, 09:34 PM   #15
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Why freaking out? You recognized something and you corrected it. What's the big deal? It is not as if they have gun sniffers at the border to immediately pull you over and throw you in jail. You did the right thing, but no need to go to total panic mode and swallowing a dozen Xanax.
Obviously you haven't been there.

No, they gon't have "gun sniffers" but they do have license plate readers and bored cops who will routinely run any out of state plate they encounter. Whether your home state admits it or not, most states automatically include if the registered owner has a CCW permit along with the automobile registration data. If you are in NY/NJ with out of state plates and have a CCW license your odds of being stopped have more to do with how bored the local cops are than anything about your driving or your vehicle.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:38 PM   #16
Dano4734

We need federal carry permits maybe some one will have the nerve to actually pass a bill
Old November 23, 2018, 04:49 AM   #17
shurshot

How about a can of "Bear" spray, labeled as such? Remember the can you carry hiking that you forgot to take out of your coat pocket? That stuff is nasty, and if labeled for "Bears", may be legal in many of those states (it's legal in Canada). Not self defense pepper spray designed for humans (which will most likely be Illegal)... but one specifically designed and labeled for "animals". Next to a handgun, pretty awesome stuff pertaining to keeping the wolves at bay and will likely cause far less legal trouble than carrying a folding knife.
For your vehicle door pocket, a large open ended wrench or ball peen hammer, if carried with a couple other smaller tools (for emergency roadside repair), will raise little suspicion if stopped and double as an impact weapon if someone decides to try to carjack you or rob you at a gas station.

Last edited by shurshot; November 23, 2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old November 23, 2018, 08:24 AM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
We need federal carry permits maybe some one will have the nerve to actually pass a bill
No, we don't as that will put control in the hands of the Feds, and their attitudes could change with a change in political parties in charge
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; November 23, 2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old November 23, 2018, 08:50 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano4734
We don't need federal carry permits. We need to have the Supreme Court rule that the entire concept of requiring a permit to exercise a constitutionally-guaranteed right is unconstitutional. Since that's not likely to happen, the next best thing would be a federal law requiring universal reciprocity.
Old November 23, 2018, 09:18 AM   #20
FITASC

Except universal reciprocity would mean states like NY, NJ, MA et al, would set the rules for what you can carry and where you can carry. Basically they would eliminate carry in 99% of the areas within the state.
Old November 28, 2018, 04:13 PM   #21
fisherman

Not saying I do, he he, but I know guys who carry no matter. They carry very concealed when in illegal states and avoid any broken traffic laws and places where there may be known trouble. That said, it is very sad indeed that you have to work your butt off to be a good citizen in your state and do all the necessary stuff to get a concealed carry permit and are then not allowed carry in all states. Write the NRA, your government representatives and the news papers on a non stop basis and ask for ALL STATE RECIPROCITY. Public opinion and votes count most and we can win this with peaceful engagement and our vote.
Old November 29, 2018, 07:59 AM   #22
USNRet93

Delete a Mundo...

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; November 29, 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old November 29, 2018, 08:41 AM   #23
cw308

The bad guys carry no matter , what are the good guys to do ? Some people look for trouble and some people don't . We all want a even playing field . Be Safe out there.
Old November 29, 2018, 09:08 AM   #24
FITASC

Quote:
Obviously you haven't been there.

No, they gon't have "gun sniffers" but they do have license plate readers and bored cops who will routinely run any out of state plate they encounter. Whether your home state admits it or not, most states automatically include if the registered owner has a CCW permit along with the automobile registration data. If you are in NY/NJ with out of state plates and have a CCW license your odds of being stopped have more to do with how bored the local cops are than anything about your driving or your vehicle.
Yes I have been there, I was born and raised there. Recently traveled back up through ALL of New England, including NJ, MD, DE, NY, RI, CT, MA, VT, NH, ME; and with (OMG!) FLORIDA plates..................and it was an enjoyable trip with ZERO issues, even passing the troopers on the Garden State...........
Old November 29, 2018, 09:37 AM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

Two things:

1. Think about if it is good idea to discuss your breaking the law on an open forum that might be discovered if you are in trouble in some future event.

Someone will say judged by ... than .... We know this.

2. The rhetoric of a 'communist state' is nice for the Internet bluster but it's just silly. It is used as an insult that has as much reality as calling all gun owners 'facists'. If anything, it indicates you really don't know that the terms mean.

It's not clever. It also insults good people who live in a state for various reasons.