The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 15, 2018, 04:38 PM   #1
MillCreek

Two thumbs up for the Taurus Protector Poly

So I am now several months into owning the Taurus Poly Protector in .357. I have put around 500 rounds through it, 350 .38 and 150 .357. I have had no problems, it has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger, and it still seems as tight as the day I bought it. I have had it out in all weathers, including an unplanned dunk into Puget Sound, and no corrosion or finish problems. I am using the smaller boot grip and this is one of the best stock grips I have ever used. Although it is still impressive shooting .357 158 grain JSP out of it, it is not acutely painful, as I have experienced with other revolvers. I attribute this to the grips and the 23 ounces loaded weight. I also like the fiber optic sight on the front.

I like this revolver so much that I bought another one from Bud's and it is now my truck gun. It replaces my Taurus 85 concealed hammer stainless. I try to keep only my more relatively-inexpensive handguns in the vehicle. Even though it is locked in one of the car cable safes, if someone is clever enough to bring bolt-cutters, it is gone. I am keeping it loaded with Remington .38+p 125 grain JHP, and I have a couple of ammo wallets in the car loaded with the Remington and the .357 158 grain JSP. The .357 158 grain JSP is what I carry in the woods, so I wanted a reload of that in case I break down out in the backwoods.

So from my perspective, two thumbs up for the Taurus Protector Poly.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old December 17, 2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Glad to hear you are pleased with your Taurus. It is always appreciated when there is so much negativity directed toward Taurus through parroted internet claims. Taurus makes a good product at a decent price. If there was a fraction of the problems, and claimed disgruntled customers that the internet exaggerations portray they would have been out of business long ago.
I have a Judge Public Defender Poly that I have enjoyed a verysimilar experience with. As with your Protector Poly my PD is used as a "truck gun" mainly on late night, or over night travel. When unattended it is secured in a console vault bolted in place in the center console. An even more secure method than a cable safe.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 19, 2018, 12:33 AM   #3
ifithitu

I love Taurus and I own seven,glad you are enjoying yours congrats.
Old December 19, 2018, 10:45 AM   #4
osbornk

I only have 4 Taurus. My favorite revolver is my little 2002 model 605 in polished SS. It has ATI grips on it that makes it less painful to shoot when I shoot 357 in it.
Old December 19, 2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Mr. Roboto

I just came home with my 4th Taurus. This one is the M85 snub you, all steel. Every Taurus I’ve had has run flawlessly. I’m expecting the same from this one!! Any recommendations on personal protection ammo?
Old December 20, 2018, 12:25 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Any recommendations on personal protection ammo?
Give Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel a look. Gold Dots are always a top notch SD round. Shoots very well in my Ruger LCR.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 20, 2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Carmady

^^^^ Yep, the 135 grain stuff.
Old December 20, 2018, 02:59 PM   #8
mrcharlie3531

I have shot two Taurus firearms. They both functioned perfectly with rounds down range. There are great firearms for people on a budget. Not everyone can afford an 800 dollar firearm. I don't understand why people bash Taurus.

Last edited by mrcharlie3531; December 20, 2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old December 20, 2018, 08:55 PM   #9
MillCreek

I own more Ruger revolvers and S&W pistols than any other brand, and I also own Taurus revolvers and pistols since they offer things I cannot find elsewhere. At last count, I had six Taurus revolvers and two Taurus pistols. Price is not a major consideration for me since I can pretty much afford to buy whatever I want. I wish that Taurus would bring back the titanium revolvers, since I would like to buy a few more of those. The Protector Polys are going to be in my 'tool guns' group, where functionality and ruggedness are my primary concerns and I primarily use them as my outdoor recreation (hiking, biking, XC skiing and snowshoeing) handguns. .357 corrosion-resistant revolvers are my choice there.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old December 21, 2018, 08:58 AM   #10
JTofSD

I know it is not a revolver, but my Taurus PT92 has always been a smooth operator and worked well for me.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:59 AM   #11
badge851

I own Taurus® revolvers in 22LR, 22 Mag, 38 Special, 357 Mag, and 41 Mag. They are a great value. Bought my first one in 1995.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.