The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 26, 2009, 09:02 PM   #26
VA9mm

Granted the guy on tv is ex special forces it looked easy enough to shoot, they say it has 50% less recoil than the M4.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Jason_G

Quote:
It seems to me that the length of pull on the ps90 is the same as any full size rifle.
The LOP may be similar to most other rifles, but having my support hand scrunched up so close towards me was weird and uncomfortable for me.

To the OP: The PS90 may be a fine carbine, but to me, it was just a little too compact. It felt like a toy or a youth rifle to me. I tried real hard to like it, because they look kind of neat, but after handling one there's no way I would buy one. Obviously it takes different strokes for different folks and all, so don't be put off by my experience; you may love it. I'm just saying it's one of those that you need to at least handle before buying.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old May 31, 2009, 12:44 AM   #28
Adventurer 2

It's got more juice than a 22 WMR. Light bullets in 22 Mag - blows critters up. I can't help but wonder if 5.7 (non full-metal jacket) in a 40 maybe heavier 55 grain bullet would be devastating on a human.
http://www.gunblast.com/FNH-PS90.htm
Old May 31, 2009, 01:17 PM   #29
BobbyT

The 55gr only does 1000 fps, so you're talking about a .22lr...or shooting 1/5th of a .45 at someone.

The lighter bullets are the ones hitting 2000+ fps, and they're still closer to .38 Special energy levels than 9mm.

I still don't see why the same gun chambered in cheaper and more effective .223 wouldn't be the obvious choice, instead of paying more for ".223 super short".
Old May 31, 2009, 01:44 PM   #30
Snow Fox

Jaon G, you're not a 5' 1" woman. small and compact works for me. sure the AK's and sig sauers look good and intimidating but they wre more awkward in my hands.

I did buy it, and it feels really comfortable for me. I can see how it is a little weird to hold since we're use to a space between the two hands, but think how you hold a pistol.

The thing I really like is the ejection port-I'm left handed and was afraid I'd catch the brass in my face. I've heard the British SA-80 has a switchable eject. The FN dropps the brass out the bottom.

I was surprised by the sight. Thanks to the advice here I made sure I had the sight with the black reticule in it, not the white one. I was psyched when I looked at a darker target and the black reticule turned red, damn near lumious in full dark. wow helpful.

Last edited by Snow Fox; June 2, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 03:38 PM   #31
Jason_G

Quote:
Jaon G, you're not a 5' 1" woman.
Dang, ya caught me!

Seriously, I'm glad you like your carbine. I didn't know that about the reticles changing colors like that. Seems like the one I handled had a white ring with a white dot in the middle, but it's been at least a year ago, so I may be wrong on that description.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old June 1, 2009, 06:27 PM   #32
p99guy

SnowFox, it has a tridium capsule in it that provides illumination in low light

- same mildly radioactive stuff in pistol night sights. lasts about 10 years before you have to replace the tridium element.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:43 PM   #33
seeker_two

I'm intrigued by the PS90, but the ammo question put the brakes on it for me, too. I'd like to see FN use that platform for more traditional calibers like 9mm or .22lr as alternative choices.

Either that, or offer reloading dies to those of us who like to experiment...
Old June 3, 2009, 10:01 PM   #34
p99guy

Reloading dies are easily availible, I own a set of Hornady ones I picked up at Cabela's Fort Worth store.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:11 PM   #35
Snow Fox

I have a box of the hornady, what's with the blue tips?

My mag has numbers up to 50 but only loads up to 30 (which is what the owner's manual says) Having disassembled the mag I can see what is stopping it going to 50 but I don't see how I can break that without damaging the mag.
Old June 8, 2009, 11:34 PM   #36
p99guy

There is a replacement baseplate on the market, that gets rid of the plastic spacer, and gives you back the normal 50 shot capacity...except for that insert its a normal 50 shot mag, and 50 shot mag spring.

The Hornady V-Max bullets have colored polymer nose cones, they will make them any color you want if you order enough, but in this case the blue color allows you to tell its a SS197 round, as opposed to the red tipped SS196 round(the sucky reduced velocity round made to appease the Brady bunch)
Old June 10, 2009, 09:27 PM   #37
Snow Fox

is that the red tip is the brady bunch round?

Yeash i knid of figured the plate was funky, where can I get the other plate? Is it leagal? did they repeal that 50 round mag rule?
Old June 10, 2009, 10:51 PM   #38
p99guy

Yes the replacement baseplate is legal unless you live in a state that still restricts mag capacity. I had two of those still in the plastic till last weekends gun show( sold them)

but they come from a place called magazine parts . com

http://magazineparts.com/productDisplay.php?id=PE
Old June 10, 2009, 10:53 PM   #39
4thPointofContact

To convert my 30-rounders to 50's, all I did was cut out that plastic web you can see on the block. A little rough sandpaper and some epoxy made the resulting top and bottom the same thickness as the one in the 50-rounder. (To be truthful, I ran just the bottom block without epoxy for close to a month before I decided to glue it all together, so no worries there.)

The blue-tipped SS197 with the 40-grain bullet isn't bad, but it won't penetrate to the minimum distance recommended by the FBI. Easy solution there is to pull the trigger a couple more times. It Will reach out further, and more easily than will your average pistol, which is what it's meant to do.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:13 PM   #40
csg_starfury

It indeed can reach out there. I tested it out to 200 yards - pretty flat trajectory. My range report is posted at
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4561

Last edited by csg_starfury; July 14, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:09 AM   #41
Firepower!

Thumbs down

I am some what disappointed with this new caliber. Had the same thing been in 9mm I would be very eager to buy this weapon.
Old August 17, 2009, 01:12 PM   #42
DryGulch

Snow Fox, you have a good weapon. Check out Botach Tactical at: http://www.botachtactical.com/cmp90coplfo3.html - This is what you need to open your mag to 50 rds. ($12.00) - They also have extra mags for under $50.00.

As for: "high" & "hard to find ammo". I have a Five-seveN pistol; and buy ammo online all the time at 19.95 for 50 rds. (Can't buy 9mm for that now. (Except for FMJ)) Several places even sell 2000 rds in an ammo can. Not hard to find ammo...

The PS90 is next on my list. Just need the cash...

Also check out this test firing article: http://www.brassfetcher.com/SS195%20...othing%29.html

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do my Five-seveN.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Five-seveN_USG.jpg (43.4 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg FN5.7ss192.jpg (27.0 KB, 633 views)