The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 21, 2018, 08:12 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's stay with bobcats and turkeys, okay?
Old April 21, 2018, 11:49 AM   #27
jimbob86

Carcass price for a Jan 2018 caught Bobcat was $125, with prime pelts going as high as $600 at the March auctions ....... Western Coyote were around 80 dollars.

Coons were only 3-5 dollars, but it'll pay the gas to run the line.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade..... when life gives you bobcats and coyotes, make money.
Old April 21, 2018, 02:13 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

I have bobcats and turkey at my place, plenty of both. Yeah, bobcats eat a few. They eat a LOT of stuff. That is sort of how evolution and nature work.
Old April 21, 2018, 08:54 PM   #29
Mobuck

"Carcass price for a Jan 2018 caught Bobcat was $125, with prime pelts going as high as $600 at the March auctions"

NOT in the Midwest.
Old April 21, 2018, 09:13 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
NOT in the Midwest.
"Midwest" is an often confused term ..... I pulled those numbers from Midwest Furbuyers .... If you can't get 125 dollars out of a western bobcat, you are a poor hagler, my friend.
Old April 22, 2018, 09:40 AM   #31
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
"Midwest" is an often confused term ..... I pulled those numbers from Midwest Furbuyers .... If you can't get 125 dollars out of a western bobcat, you are a poor hagler, my friend.
Just as posted fur prices are confusing. Any cat east of the Mississippi is rarely gonna get you more than $75. Put a bullet hole in it and odds are you may as well keep it and have it tanned yourself. I'd like to know, in reality, how many folks got $600 for a bobcat. In my state(WI), last year, the highest price paid for any bobcat hide was $52(this was outta 6200 pelts). Coyote, $23.50. Again, the predators that do the most damage to turkey populations ain't worth much at all. Skunk and raccoon, about $5. 'Possum got you about $2, while a weasel may get you $6. If one really wants to control any of those predators, it ain't gonna be a money making proposition. Used to be there was motivation for folks to trap/hunt these animals. Now, it's just a matter of having the time, wanting to help out the local game populations and an interest in hunting. Part of the problem in my state is getting access to private property to trap/hunt predators. Predator populations on public land, even the largest tracts, is quite low due to folks shooting/killing them outta having the opportunity while hunting something else. It's private land where land owners do not give access where the numbers are unbalanced and may be increased because of the practices of throwing dead calves/piglets, etc. in the ditch on the back 40. Turkey hunting this spring I noticed several Bald Eagles on the property across the fence from where I was hunting. Looking at them thru binos, I could see they were scavenging on carcasses thrown out by where the neighbor was spreading Manure. I'm sure every 'yote and other hungry meat eater in the area knew the place too.
Old April 23, 2018, 12:38 PM   #32
Lohman446

Around here both the turkey and coyote populations are both up. Do not know on the bobcats. The turkeys tend to travel in flocks and I generally see multiple mature sized Toms in the flocks. I'm sure a coyote COULD take some here and there but I would be surprised if the flock could not really hurt one in the process.