The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 22, 2015, 07:28 PM   #26
Slimjim9

Thanks for the tip BR.i didn't know about that app. I'm kinda skeptical it would work with 5 other lanes shooting but probably worth trying just for fun anyway. At this point I'm less interested in "getting good times" compared to others than tracking progress against myself so any timing method that is repeatable will do.
Old November 23, 2015, 02:32 PM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

One nice feature of the Shot timer app is that you can set it up so it emails you the results - which makes it handy when you don't want to mess with writing everything down at the time.

The problem with trying to time yourself is there are several spots where just the requirement that you recognize and respond to a stimulus adds at least 0.15-0.25 seconds per spot. So even if you have some lighting fast reflexes, you are introducing a decent amount of time and variation in time that isn't related to your actual shooting performance. You also have to be careful about training bad habits by trying to quickly push the stop/start button.

But you are right that it will be difficult to use on a public range (especially indoors) with multiple people shooting nearby.
Old November 26, 2015, 08:59 PM   #28
Sevens

Bartholomew Roberts, thanks for the heads-up on the free timer app! I think it's fantastic and we had a heap of fun with it today. You say as a timer, it's "not great" but having never owned an actual shot timer, I find this app to pretty pretty darn amazing and I plan to use it as a tool to improve.

Thanks again!
Old November 28, 2015, 12:38 PM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

Glad it was useful. I bought my first shot timer before my first smartphone, so I already had a good shot timer. If I'd had the smartphone first and been looking at another $130 for a dedicated shot timer, I might feel differently; but generally a dedicated shot timer will do better and catching shots and requires less fiddling to calibrate.

One thing you can do with the Surefire app, is sometimes you can calibrate it so it will work with dryfire if you have a DA pistol. That can be handy also.
Old December 20, 2015, 07:42 AM   #30
Jeff22

5 x 5 drill

I REALLY like simple skills drills like this. Basics exercises are the foundation of skill and as many of the posters have already noticed you can modify the drill to use different distances or targets as required by circumstance.

I'm going to have to try this one on my next trip to the range and see how it goes.
Old December 20, 2015, 08:01 AM   #31
Don P

Quote:
Skill ranking (Bill Wilson’s Opinion)
I would say his opinion is the one that counts being he is the founder and he and his wife currently own/run IDPA
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 20, 2015, 11:01 PM   #32
Valerko

Here's mine
http://youtu.be/WPx4H0xo78Y
Old December 21, 2015, 10:17 AM   #33
MrBorland

I enjoyed that video very much, Valerko - a very honest & solid run. Well done.

It looks like one of the -3s touched the -1 perforation, so I would've scored it as a -1, which takes you to 22.53. Fix your primer issues, shoot without a concealment garment, don't drop any -3s, and you're flirting with the 20 second Master cutoff.
Old December 25, 2015, 11:06 AM   #34
9x45

Simple drills are fine, but most shooters tend to focus solely on that one drill. What is much more useful is to run different drills for each practice session. For example, Leatham's Drill of the Month Club. And even more useful is to actually shoot USPSA/IDPA at least twice a month. Each stage at a Level I match is a just a drill and stages are never the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7fMdUhJ0oo
Old December 25, 2015, 01:56 PM   #35
pete2

3 of us shot it on Wed. 2 SS, 3rd with a jam didn't make it. It's a pretty good drill and you can tell if your improving or not. It will also be interesting to shoot with different guns. it's fast too, doesn't take all day.
Old January 8, 2016, 08:09 PM   #36
Cnight21

In my ignorance I have to ask. Do you time each 5shot string separately and add the time together or how do you do it? I'm new to pistols and shooting drills.
Old January 8, 2016, 11:20 PM   #37
pete2

Yep, time them separately and add the total.
Old January 26, 2016, 03:46 PM   #38
Pistola Pedro

Definitely need a timer for this guys. If you are running a stopwatch or something, you're not getting good results.
I use the free IPSC timer app and it has been awesome for me. I wait until others around me are shooting and then calibrate in the midst of the noise so that it is properly calibrated.

Ran this in 16.24 and took no penalties, but my results are based on one major exception to the rules. My range doesn't allow drawing from the holster, which would easily add 4 or 5 seconds to my total (i'm horrible on the draw). I might try to do it over again and rack the slide to start instead of drawing in order to counter my advantage. I may also switch to my CCW and see how that goes (I am envisioning some penalties)

Fun drill! I love stuff like this and dot torture.
Old February 12, 2016, 09:37 PM   #39
1-DAB

Shot it today. 23.18. I can do better.
Old February 13, 2016, 02:42 PM   #40
AZ-Quailhunter

Yes......32 seconds.
Old February 18, 2016, 02:11 PM   #41
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisolm
target is too small, range too long, times too slow
Like IDPA itself, it's a skills test, not SD training.
Old February 18, 2016, 05:27 PM   #42
MrBorland

I wouldn't (and didn't) say it's irrelevant.

An effective SD approach has a unique tactical approach and mindset. But it's still grounded in a sound skillset, which the 5x5 effectively tests in a way plinking and bullseye doesn't. Those that do poorly in tests like the 5x5 are unlikely to do much better in tests like the one you outlined.
Old March 30, 2016, 02:05 PM   #43
WVsig

Nothing like Bill Wilson's Drill to remind you that you are slow out of the holster. Don't shoot competition so my reload and my draw were the weak points. Need to work mainly on the draw.

Shot it 3 times today at the range. 10 yards Avg about 2 seconds in penalties per drill.

#1 Sphinx SDP DA/SA 21.52 seconds

#2 Sphinx SDP DA/SA 22.86 seconds

#3 Browning Hi Power SAO 21.88 seconds

If I could get the damn thing out the holster faster I would be faster LOL. Splits were not bad but the draw time was not were it should be.