The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Irfan

Shotgun vs. Rifle in case of SHTF

I am thinking about getting a long combat weapon just in case of SHTF. I'd like to buy either a some kind of Benelli 12 GA shotgun or a CZ rifle (preferablly 550 serie). So guys help me choose one of the two. I'd like to remind you that I already have two CZ 85s and a Glock 19.
Old June 4, 2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Manedwolf

The most common reliable things in both categories I see are:

Shotgun, a Rem 870 or Mossberg, or if you want semi-auto, a Saiga 12.

Rifle, any reliable AR or AK.

Your choices there sound more like a relaxed hunting trip than SHTF, but YMMV.
Old June 4, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3
slow944

For my SHTF weapons I keep a Semi-Auto 12ga. and a Mini14 with a 30rd mag. loaded in the safe. On the nightstand I have a MILPRO PT140 or PT145 whichever is on rotation that week and a 357mag just in case.
Old June 4, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Daniel BOON

Booooommmm

thats the sound my 870/4 buck makes ........I keep it and a steyr M40/44special smith under the bed, and Oscar, my 130 pound male Rottweiler sleeps on my wifes side of the bed. and he is always loaded and ready for when the SHTF. He is happy in his work.
Old June 4, 2007, 11:59 AM   #5
rantingredneck

My SHTF lineup of longguns includes a Rem 870, a Mossberg 835 24", and a Ruger PC9 Carbine that takes the same mags as my P89. I like that feature. Since you have a glock already why not look into one of the keltec carbines that takes glock mags?
Old June 4, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Manedwolf

Yes, the Kel-Tec sub 2000 is a fine choice. Folds up to 16" to be stuffed in a pack or anywhere, deploys instantly. You can get the version for the mags you already have.
Old June 4, 2007, 12:18 PM   #7
budder

Personally, I would go for the shotgun because I'm better with them. Also, I only have pistols now, if that makes a difference.
Old June 4, 2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Boats

A shotgun is more versatile than is most rifles. One can load them up with various Buckshot, or a variety of rifled slugs, or birdshot, or beanbags, or bearbangers, or flares, or even "dragon's breath" for a bit of flamethrower illusion.

Being rather range limited, a shotgun re-enforces a defensive mindset and in all but the most extreme SHTF scenarios, the law will be coming back to second guess any shootings.

I'd have a hard time choosing between my three Mossies, but between a 590A1, a 590 w/Marinecoat and a 500 Persuader 20" I'd probably take the 500 as tied for the handiest and winner of the least missed in case of confiscation.
Old June 4, 2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Doug.38PR

In Trash Hits The Fan situations (hypothetically) my .38 pistol to shoot my way to my 870 shotgun, and then my 870 shotgun to shoot my way to my AR-15. In short, a battle rifles is what you need for an army of looters. Go with the CZ rifle
Old June 4, 2007, 03:28 PM   #10
kcshooter

Depends on what you mean by SHTF.
If you mean my house being broken into by a couple of people, shotgun.
If you mean the recently deceased are rising from their graves, and zombies are roaming the streets, I'll glad I bought the AR!
Old June 4, 2007, 03:37 PM   #11
fixboot

If you have a need to reach out and touch someone with a high powered "battle rifle" that need is probably not for self defense......stick with the shotty but do keep the AR close. You never know when the zombies will march.......:barf:
Nothing is more satisfying than a brick of .22, a few empty soda cans and all day to shoot at them..........nothing other than......Hmm...maybe my AK-47 and a bag of apples? DAMMIT who has 7.62x39 on sale right now?
Old June 4, 2007, 03:37 PM   #12
David Armstrong

Depends on what you plan on doing during the SHTF scenario. First, forget fighting off the massive rampaging hordes in human wave attacks. They don't happen, and if they do you aren't stopping them without something crew-served. Second, are you holing up or moving out? If you are holing up weight isn't a big deal, if you are moving out then it can become important. Third, urban or rural? The up-close and personal nature of the urban combat is very different from the wide-open spaces. Finally, are you going to be a rabbit or a tiger? Do you run and hide, or fight it out?
Personally I think most folks are better served with the shotgun when you deal with reality, but the battle rifle makes for a more macho image in the mind.
Old June 4, 2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Manedwolf

The way I say it is that the rifle is better if they're over there, the shotgun is better if they're right here.
Old June 4, 2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Selfdfenz

Seems like you need a 12 ga and a rifle Get both.

One thing I may have missed would you be on the move or static? 200 rnds of rifle ammo vs 200 rnds or 00 or 000 buck have a considerable difference in weight.

S-
Old June 4, 2007, 04:59 PM   #15
DouglasW

I have a 12ga. Mossberg ready, and would recommend you go with the shotgun for versatility. 3rd option (depending on what ranges/targets you expect to face) Howzabout a 9mm carbine, for ammo compatibility with your 3 handguns
Old June 4, 2007, 05:12 PM   #16
45Marlin carbine

I second getting a Kel-Tec that takes your pistol mags/rounds. find a buddy with a shotgun and bandoleers of shells and another with a long rifle and full mags for it.
Old June 4, 2007, 05:55 PM   #17
revjen45

+1 on 1 of each. Big 5 runs a sale on Mossy 500s every few weeks, and SKSs are still cheap. With bad knees and sacro-lumbar arthritis it's unlikely I'm going to live the life of a LRRP. We're stocking up a little here and there to stay put. If we have to GFOD weight won't be a factor in a 3/4 ton 10 cyl pickup. We have rifles and shotguns- now buying a little ammo, food. a$$ wipe, batteries, propane bottles, etc. each week. All stuff we can still use even if the zombies never surround the house.
Old June 4, 2007, 06:17 PM   #18
5whiskey

Yeah, ok gents. I admit that the zombies may never invade. We could never have to use our guns to defend ourselves. Actually we more than likely will never use any weapon to defend ourselves unless you join to go to Iraq. We could spend thousands on supplies, guns, and tactical gear, GPS, Maps, Body Armor, Night Vision, and the like... and then die and never use it. BUT life just wouldn't be as fun now would it
Old June 4, 2007, 06:20 PM   #19
kcshooter

Quote:
I admit that the zombies may never invade.
Ha! Don't count on it!

Just a matter of time, my friends, a matter of time.

(Please don't tell my wife they won't, I have her almost convinced they will)
Old June 4, 2007, 07:02 PM   #20
22-rimfire

If you are serious about choosing a firearm for such as circumstance, I would choose not to choose and get both. It all depends on the "fan". Most likely a revolver or pistol will be your most used firearm and give you the most comfort. Firearms might be worth their weight in gold as a barter item. Stock up.
Old June 4, 2007, 07:26 PM   #21
rantingredneck

I have 3 .22's, 3 12 gauges, 2 9mm's (one of which is a carbine and they both take the same mags), one .45 (soon to be two and they'll both take the same mags). Any of these will do the job intended out to 25-75 yds. If I need more range I have a Rem 700 .30-06 that I'm lethal to 350 yds with. That is way outside of any self defense range and the S would definitlely have to HTF before that would be necessary.
Old June 4, 2007, 07:36 PM   #22
Southern_guy

It would probably be wiser to buy one of both. I'd recommend maybe an AK and pistol gripped Winchester 1300 or Spas-12.
Old June 4, 2007, 07:50 PM   #23
MacGille

I have -- guns in my safe right now. from .270 to 12 ga. rimfire and center fire. If I ever need to shoot someone or several someones I am covered. However, I am not dead yet and there are several spaces in my safe, so I may yet own an EBR. In addition to my SKS. We can't have AKs or m16 types here. I am 68 and I'm not leaving here so any action will be in my front yard. I don't seriously think our danger is in SHTF, its in our legislature. That's a different kind of fight and I wish more of you guys out there would get in it. Phone calls are the best followed by personal letters.

If you are too lazy to call or write then you have already lost the fight. In California we went from a free state to one where we can't own any thing with a pistol grip and a removable magazine. No thumbholes or high cap mags. a ten day wait and heavy costs for background checks and mandatory safes and or a new lock for each gun. Only one gun a month and gun shows are fast disappearing because of the persecution from our government. Now they want micro imprinting on each cartridge case, mandatory jail for failing to report the theft of ammo,no appleseed matches, almost no shooting matches in the state. and registration for ammo purchase.

If you don't get serious about calling or writing your legislators you may be in a worse position than we are. At least once a week. These people need to come home to get re-elected, they WILL listen if you make yourself heard.

A word to the wise.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old June 4, 2007, 08:47 PM   #24
monkeyboy

Rifle,

Short range put em down

Long range put em down.

28 rounds good to go right then.

If PC is important then the Mini 14 and a LA will do the trick.

Stopping power misnomers aside, inside 25 feet, a 5.56 TAP, 7.62 of any type, 30.30 SP should all do the trick just fine.
Old June 5, 2007, 12:02 AM   #25
pangris

No doubt, an AR with 55 gr milspec ammo.

Shotguns, while very effective, are slow to load and low capacity. An AR with XM193 or Q3131 is very effective, light, has great capacity, and mag changes take very little time.