The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Photon Guy

Gripping Technique

I found this video on how to effectively grip a semi automatic handgun. While there are tons of shooting videos out there this one sparked my interest and I will try it out to see how it works for me. So what do you all think of this technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2bs_p8vJ8
Old March 16, 2016, 12:40 PM   #2
dmoserwy

That is what I was taught in my concealed carry class. This guy did a better job explaining than my instructor did. It is different than what I am used to so I am working on that grip. I think it is effective.
Old March 16, 2016, 01:48 PM   #3
Photon Guy

I've been to a bunch of firearm schools and I've never been taught this technique. It looks very effective and I might use it as my primary method. I should probably take a class at the school where guy in the video teaches, I believe its somewhere in Atlanta, GA.
Old March 16, 2016, 05:27 PM   #4
g.willikers

It's pretty much the standard method for competition shooters and has been for a couple of decades.
It would definitely be a welcome addition to anyone's repertoire of skills.
Old March 16, 2016, 06:54 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Was that a "blue screen"? If not the lighting was odd.
I found it too distracting to watch.
Old March 16, 2016, 09:36 PM   #6
Slimjim9

I have to say I use a thumbs forward grip with my G19 and have over 2500 rounds with it but I've never had any formal training. (I know, I know) I feel like my accuracy is "ok" but not satisfied with my speed especially in reacquiring the front site for follow ups. I've had a growing suspicion that I am getting a lot more muzzle rise than "ought to be" present for compact 9mm. This is the first explanation I've seen about the support wrist alignment. I'm gonna have to pay attention to that next time I'm out and see what happens.
Old March 17, 2016, 10:04 AM   #7
TailGator

That was a very effective presentation of the thumbs forward grip. I commend his teaching style.
Old March 17, 2016, 10:10 AM   #8
g.willikers

A lot of folks look at pictures and videos without actually understanding the essentials of the grip.
This fellow did a real good job emphasizing the details that make it work.
Old March 17, 2016, 12:29 PM   #9
SlvrDragon50

First time seeing the support hand angle. Will definitely try it.
Old March 30, 2016, 10:33 PM   #10
Photon Guy

Quote:
It's pretty much the standard method for competition shooters and has been for a couple of decades.
Competition shooting is one thing, shooting in a tactical or self defense situation is a whole different ballgame. Not that I don't think this gripping technique wouldn't be a good way to shoot in both competition and tactical situations but just because a technique works well in competition doesn't mean it will work well in self defense. Just pointing that out.
Old March 31, 2016, 02:50 AM   #11
Theohazard

The thumbs-forward grip has become the primary grip taught for for defensive gun use, not just for competition. It's pretty much the standard at this point; it's used by most nationally-recognized schools and instructors.
Old March 31, 2016, 08:01 AM   #12
boatdoc173

the youtube videos that I used for gripping technique are:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-bFZQPvpI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0HkjXpQBxc

+
reading the perfect pistol shot by A.League(amazon) and his blog too
Old March 31, 2016, 08:53 AM   #13
9x45

That grip technique has been around for decades. It's the standard for competition and taught by all the better gun fighting schools. D.R. Middlebrooks is the guy that trained Sgt. Daniel Horner of the AMU, 3 gun champion.

The guy in the first video suffers from "Tactical Turtle" I can tell you he does not shoot competition.

Here's USPSA Grand Master Travis Tomasie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw9oyhCpE8k

It's what I say every time, hold your gun like this.....

Old March 31, 2016, 09:17 AM   #14
WVsig

Oldie but a goodie.... Todd Jarrett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
Old April 9, 2016, 07:09 PM   #15
Wanderlust

An interesting and bit longer video, meat and potatoes about minute 6
https://youtu.be/0dOVZ5TRCUw
Old April 10, 2016, 09:12 AM   #16
mrdaputer

I wish that last video with Jerry, he would have shown his thumb placements. 26 shots in under 4 seconds wow.
Old April 10, 2016, 11:49 AM   #17
mete

Stick to reality ! Try different styles ? Yes, but adopt ony ones that work for YOU ! I found [time and accuracy ] that the isosoles worked better. Then I permanently damaged my elbow .Now it's half way between weaver and isosoles.
Some guns like HK have interchangeable panels to get the best grip for you.
For multiple shots gun should not move in your hand ! If you can't hold it tight then use a lower recoiling catridge or slightly bend you elbows which will act as shock absorbers.
It has to work for YOU .
Old April 10, 2016, 02:38 PM   #18
WC145

What happens when you have to shoot one handed? Take away the support hand and you have hardly any purchase on the gun. That's fine for the range or in competition but in the real world you could find yourself shooting one handed or fighting for possession of your weapon at any time. You'd better be hanging on to it when that happens. Something to consider.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 10, 2016, 02:43 PM   #19
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC145
What happens when you have to shoot one handed? Take away the support hand and you have hardly any purchase on the gun. That's fine for the range or in competition but in the real world you could find yourself shooting one handed or fighting for possession of your weapon at any time. You'd better be hanging on to it when that happens. Something to consider.
No, it still works fine when you take away your support hand. In that case, the only thing out of place for a proper one-handed grip is your thumb; move your thumb down and you're good to go.

There really is no downside to a thumbs-forward grip if it's done properly, and there's a huge upside when it comes to recoil control.
Old April 12, 2016, 08:59 AM   #20
Willie D

I've tried that Todd Jarrett style a few times but I've never gotten comfortable with it. I also feel unbalanced standing more or less square to the target. Weaver is more comfortable and almost natural to me.

The thing that has helped me most is concentrating on smaller groups at longer distances.

That said, my experience is limited to static range shooting.
Old April 12, 2016, 10:33 AM   #21
buckmt1

stance

I agree with Willie I like the weaver stance, to me it is more natural. Practice, practice... practice what's comfortable for you. ....PRESENTATION I feel is probably the most important part, if the weapon is not presented "right" especially in defensive situation.. You might be in for trouble. I've read many articles in gun\ outdoor magazines, where the writers were never in a life\death situation... And Had To Draw their weapon!! PRACTICE DRAW & STANCE and the rest comes "naturally".

Artillery King Of The Battlefield
Old April 28, 2016, 09:44 PM   #22
sliponby

Excellent video Photon Guy. He did a good job explaining the "why" factor that new shooters need to hear. He presents the same way I teach my beginner basic pistol courses and I'm going to use the video to reinforce my teaching. No way I'd show the Jerry Miculek video to new shooters, with all due respect, of course.
Old April 30, 2016, 10:41 AM   #23
K_Mac

Quote:
Competition shooting is one thing, shooting in a tactical or self defense situation is a whole different ballgame. Not that I don't think this gripping technique wouldn't be a good way to shoot in both competition and tactical situations but just because a technique works well in competition doesn't mean it will work well in self defense. Just pointing that out.
I don't understand the point. Whether shooting competition where speed and accuracy from a concealed holstered weapon is measured or doing the same in a self-defense situation the technique is the same. There certainly can be situations where a two-handed grip may not be possible in self-defense, but learning the grip used by world class shooters and every self-defense instructor I am aware of, only makes sense. I still haven't quite got it to the point where it's automatic, but my accuracy when shooting fast has improved since I've committed to mastering this technique.