The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 3, 2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Plaz

gun cleaning mops

I sure would like some help on how I am supposed to use cleaning mops to clean out gun barrels.

Do you use them to apply solvents and oils?

Do you use them to clean out your barrels of solvents and oils?

Do you use them to do both of the above?

Once you use them they are dirty. Do you continue to use the dirty mops on the same barrels? You usually have only one mop in a set. It is not practical to clean that mop between uses during the same cleaning session.
Old February 3, 2010, 03:53 PM   #2
jamesicus

Quote:
I sure would like some help on how I am supposed to use cleaning mops to clean out gun barrels.

Do you use them to apply solvents and oils?

Do you use them to clean out your barrels of solvents and oils?

Do you use them to do both of the above?
Yes.

Quote:
Once you use them they are dirty. Do you continue to use the dirty mops on the same barrels? You usually have only one mop in a set. It is not practical to clean that mop between uses during the same cleaning session.
I rinse them out in bore cleaner to remove excess dirt then "damp dry" them using a rag.

jamesicus
Old February 3, 2010, 05:00 PM   #3
wogpotter

Essentially the brushes scrub crud out of the bore, the bristles getting into all the corners & the solvent dissolving the powder & metal fouling left behind by shooting.

The patches do 2 things. Wet ones apply solvent to the bore & wash away the crud the brush got loose. Dry ones remove the dirty solvent & wipe the bore clear of left over solvent.
Using 5 wet & 5 dry alternately works for me.

The mops ONLY apply a light coat of oil to a clean barrel.

Done correctly the mop will never get dirty because all the dirt is gone before you oil the barrel for storage. In practice I clean mine about once a year as the oil can get funky over time. I usually flood the mop with gunscrubber, or a similar cleaning/de-greasing spray & them pat dry with paper towels. Once dry I re-fluff the mop with fingers & add fresh oil & set it soak in before use. If you like to keep the mops wet with oil remember to store them sealed in those little plastic pop-top tubes or the oily mop will attract a lot of grit & crud you don't want in your bore.
Old February 5, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
James R. Burke

Wogpotter is correct.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:54 PM   #5
guitar1580

Thx Wog, that's good info. I've been updating my cleaning kit too, so I'm glad I ran onto this thread.

Next, I'm going to get some jags, something that wasnt used back when my ancient cleaning kits were purchased. They seem like a good tool to keep the patch from slipping.

JP