The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 10, 2004, 04:48 PM   #26
wyrdone

One note on shooting computer equipment:

Don't shoot CRT's. They contain lots of lead and toxic materials.

Either buy a large tarp your willing to dispose of to collect the bits, or don't shoot them.

That being said we once did shoot up a running 21" monitor (it's sync circuit had died). We brought an old UPS unit and turned the monitor over to it's test pattern. No real effect except a lot of "buzzing" (from the flyback transformer) after the 7.62x54 round went through it. Kinda disappointing.
Old December 11, 2004, 02:12 PM   #27
Doerdie

Code:
Be carefull w/ bowling pins that are to close. I've seen a .40 bounce back from 7 yards & smack the shooter in the forehead.
True Story:
I was shooting at cans (aluminum) in Florida at about 10 yards, a .32 magnum went thru the can, bounced off the sand, flew 150 yards and bounced off a cabbage palm tree, revesed direction and landed at my feet .
I fiqure with a bit more practice I should be able to hit the can twice with one shot?

As for shooting CRT's, arn't you shooting at them WITH lead?
Old December 22, 2004, 07:27 AM   #28
klondike

Living in Alaska, there is plenty of open space to go shooting There are several places which are just like large sand pits that ppl go shooting, just wutever teh heck they want to shoot. Appliances, Computers, TVs stereos even some cars My favorite target is (being very safe about it) tape a hand flare to a 16 oz campin propane tank, light the flare and shoot the tank very nice. You could also just shoot the tank w/ a tracer round for same effect, saves you money too
Old December 22, 2004, 04:09 PM   #29
wyrdone

Doerdie: Most modern firearm rounds are actually an alloy of lead (usually antimony lead combo) designed to be non-corroding. I think due to EPA regulations all-lead rounds cannot be manufactured anymore.

That and most of the lead inside a monitor is thin foil and corrodes very easily.

Most of the leachable toxics from a monitor aren't from the lead but from the phosphor coating of the CRT tube, mercury, chromium & cadmium from several components, copper from wire windings, brominated plastics, etc. Most of the lead in a monitor is contained within the leaded glass.

Not saying don't shoot them, just practice good range cleanup afterwards.
Old December 28, 2004, 04:03 PM   #30
rkc

I like to open a can of whup ass and shoot the neighbor's chickens.
Old December 31, 2004, 06:44 PM   #31
slimshot

Shoot a round...

I tee up cheap golf balls on the longer 3 1/4" tees, set in a cross-beam in the target stand at 50 yards. Have an old CMP Mossberg .22 with peep-sights that works well even with these 50+ year old eyes. It's amazing how many .22 slugs a golf ball can suck up! We've had contests for the longest "drive" off the tee. (a dead-center hit is good for about twenty yards with a new ball) They also work with .38's @ 25 yards, but ain't quite as durable. FORE!
Be safe and have fun.
Old January 1, 2005, 10:47 AM   #32
BillCA

Slimshot posted my idea except that I use a handgun for shooting golf balls that are simply tossed onto the range at different distances. You can put them on berms, on top of wood posts or like Slimshot, tee them up for fun.

Hitting one squarely with a blunt nosed bullet can drive a ball several hundred yards at mach 3 so be cautious if you have trees, large rocks or other hard objects downrange. One rampaging golf ball hit a rock and came back at us without so much as a "Fore!"

To develop "instictive" point shooting skills, use a standard backer but staple paper plates to it and number them with a broad-tip felt marker (1,2,3). Have someone call out which target to hit, draw & fire from the hip or w/o bringing the gun up to eyelevel.