The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2018, 08:28 PM   #1
ReloadKy

Best cleaning solvent to use

I have always used Hoppe’s #9 cleaning solvent to clean my hunting rifles. I am starting to do a lot more shooting now due to my addiction to reloading. What are the best solvents some of you all have found to get rid of powder and best ones to get rid of copper? Thanks.
Old May 8, 2018, 08:55 PM   #2
Danoobie

Apple Cider Vinegar, followed by Dawn and water, cleans up a lot of crud, for me.
Janitor's Ammonia and Water works well with lead and copper fouling.
I follow up with a patch of Hoppes, a couple dry patches, and a light oil.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:15 PM   #3
Nodak1858

I like Ed's Red for normal cleaning. If there's a bunch of crud or copper I grab one of the foaming cleaners . I would be leary of vineger, that stuff is a good way to remove bluing.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:39 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I like the foaming bore solvents. The better ones on the market will even work pretty well on copper fouling as long as its not severe. I've had decent luck with BreakFree's version, but it seems like Birchwood Casey's formula worked well too.
Old May 9, 2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Doyle

For me, it depends on what piece I'm cleaning and what gunk I'm trying to get off. It I'm trying to get any dried petroleum product off of metal (with no plastic around) then brake cleaner gets the nod. It flat out totally removes petroleum-based gunk.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Don Fischer

You ask 5 different people what the best of anything is and you could get five different answer's. There is not really a best of anything. Get the small jars of cleaner and try them. I think you'll find one you like the best. For me it's Hoppe's #9. I like the way it smell's!
Old May 9, 2018, 11:56 AM   #7
Hippy

For maintenance cleaning Bore Tec mixed 50/50 with Kroil

Tough cleaning Wipe Out either foam or Liquid

Stubborn J-B Paste

Jim
Old May 9, 2018, 12:04 PM   #8
bluewizard

Copper Solvents

Hoppe's No.9 does a pretty good job, though it is geared more toward Power, Carbon, and Lead. There are specific cleaners similar to Hoppe's that are geared more toward Copper.

Here are a list of YouTube Video directed Primarily at Copper Fowling -

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eaning+solvent

You will also find tests on YouTube where various products are tested and reviewed.

There are also people who make their own DIY Solvents. Though Personally I would stay away from that.

While Hoppe's is a good general purpose solvent and will work on Copper, if Copper is your primary concern, then I would focus on Solvents specifically made for Copper.

Keep in mind Hoppe's does make Copper-specific Solvents -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2a9chcrEUg

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Hopp...9.uts?slotId=3

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HOPP...7.uts?slotId=5

Hoppe's is a solid brand, so I personally would be inclined to stick with Hoppe's Copper specific Cleaning Solvents.

Though I'm not specifically recommending these brands, they are examples of Copper Specific Solvents -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDt86onKbN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCB17G8vauA

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; May 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: additions
Old May 9, 2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Dufus

Quote:
Hoppe's No.9 does a pretty good job, though it is geared more toward Power, Carbon, and Lead
The new reformulated Hoppes will not do anything with carbon or lead fouling within a reasonable amount of time.

Carbon is the most challenging form of fouling to remove from a barrel and chamber.
Old May 9, 2018, 02:30 PM   #10
Scorch

Being a gunsmith, I clean a lot of guns. I have used Hoppe's, G96, Boretech, Slip2000, and several others. About a year ago, I decided to try a few different solvents. One I tried is Gunzilla, and that is my new go-to cleaning solvent. Quick, easy, and no odor to speak of. Removes carbon, varnished lubes, rust, you name it. And it lubes, too.
Quote:
Apple Cider Vinegar, followed by Dawn and water
Not on blued guns, thank you. If you are determined to strip bluing and rust your guns, sure, go ahead, but I have to clean guns for customers and I don't feel like paying to refinish a bunch of guns. Sooner or later, anything water-based will rust a gun. And then you have to fix it.
Quote:
For me it's Hoppe's #9. I like the way it smell's!
I grew up with that stuff, and I still get kinda nostalgic whenever I smell it.
Old May 9, 2018, 03:13 PM   #11
RC20

While there are a lot of opinion, I got my start in the new cleaners from a guy who did testing and documented it.

I support what I have done with my own take on it and the OP can read it and judge for himself. When its an opinion with no support narrative, then its impossible to sort out.

I have a Lyamn bore scope so I can check out the results. Most people don't. The guy who did the test had a Hawkeye (better resolution)

Per above, I think there is now a related bunch of cleaners that are vastly better than the old stuff (Russian brute force approach, melt the steel out of the barrel but by god it got clean!)

My wife was getting seriously sick on the smell of Hoppes and something had to change.

My setup was from a guy who tackled the subject with a bore scope to find out what really was working (amazing how much carbon is stuck in there when the gun is shiny bright down the barrel)

The Family is no haz and little or no odor class cleaner (carbon and copper)

Carbon Killer 2000 is the carbon one. I do find it cleans a bit better with a warm barrel so when I have shot my last round (or sometimes twice if I shoot that gun a lot) but for sure if its been over 10, I clean on the bench.

What I did change was how it was done. A nylon brush and an eyedropper allows you to drizzle the CK2k on it, it holds well, run it through, repeat on the muzzle end, 5 cycle and do again. Run a dry patch through (it will be soaked when its done!)

Repeat about 3 x.

Bore Tech Eliminator is the Copper end with pretty good carbon performance as well.

Same drill. I don't use it a lot as most of my guns limit the copper build up and I leave it.

I have used it on older Military Surplus guns. Some of those are layer of carbon, copper carbon. When done, only one has not come out looking factory new. Its got a Throat Erosion on that one to the edge of reject, 1903 that was drilled and tapped for a target scope, so it was a target rifle and shot a lot.
Old May 10, 2018, 08:37 PM   #12
Chainsaw.

On AR bcg I do a 10min soak in wd40, it loosens burnt on carbon to where it can be wiped off with a paper towel. For my plastic fantasics and the rest of the AR parts I use **GASP** hot soapy water. On the old iron, bolt guns including blued stuff I just use hoppes, it works.
Old May 11, 2018, 07:25 AM   #13
cecILL

Kerosene and compressed air.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Rifletom

Hoppe's #9, sometimes Kroil. These two seem to work well. If there is carbon build-up, I use Otis 012-C carbon remover. Works.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:12 AM   #15
pete2

Hoppe's #9. Bought some Kroil to use on a Duty Treat gun. Evidently, Hoppe's would stain the Duty finish or remove the paint or dye or what ever. Kind of a disappointment but I do like the gun.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:34 AM   #16
Jim Watson

I use mostly M Pro 7 because it doesn't smell much.
Wipe Out foam for tough cases.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:36 AM   #17
Don Fischer

I think back to my early years when you either bought Hoppe's or Outers gunslick. Today it seem's really confusing to me to look through the bottle's of cleaner's. I strongly suspect that none are actually the best. I do admit that cleaning a 30-06 barrel to shoot cast bullet's in, my understanding was all the copper had to come out of the barrel. Well I went with that stuff from Austrila, can't remember the name of it. But strong as it is yiu will never get the copper out using a wire brush! The wire brush keep's the green coming out even if there's none in the barrel!
Old May 11, 2018, 12:35 PM   #18
RC20

iIf you have a boroscope you clearly can see what works.

We had a family rifle from the late 50s, maybe 800 rounds through it. Cleaned after each use. Issues with how it shot, first go was to look, ugh, massive carbon.

So I cleaned it, little to none now. Not easy as it was layered over all those sessions and years it was not cleaned out (not due to lack of trying, cleaners (Hoppes) just did not work)

So between the CK2k and the Eliminator it looks it just came from Sako and it shoots that way as well (sub MOA 5 shot groups)

So it is not a claim or an opinion, like the guy who got me onto the stuff, its a fact.

Others may work as well, but that stuff does and non odor, non haz. Doesn't get better than that.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:49 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

"...Hoppe's or Outer's Gunslick..." Yep. And both worked equally as well. Oddly enough, so did the 10W-30 the CF issued for cleaning all weapons.
"...not really a best of anything..." Yep, there too. Applies to everything from paper clips to 8" guns.
Old May 11, 2018, 02:08 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

Using vinegar and ammonia can easily remove bluing as previously noted.
Both of these will eat into steel pretty easily. The amount of ammonia in bore cleaners is very small-therefore safe. If you go mixing your own, you'll quickly have a "frosted" bore-if not a pitted one.
Old May 11, 2018, 02:12 PM   #21
zplinker

Shooters Choice mixed with Kroil, (Walt Berger's invention, as far as I know) to push out loose crud, then foam cleaner. Works perfectly, as shown by the Hawkeye. Follow the foam with the same mix, dry patch, and good to go. I've seen barrels with layers of carbon and copper, so bad you couldn't hit the doorway, and it took multiple overnights with Wipeout, scrubbing with J. B.'s, to get to the bottom. As mentioned, w/o a borescope, you are pretty much guessing at what goes on in a barrel.
Old May 11, 2018, 04:09 PM   #22
Pahoo

No such thing as best; just slightly better.

Quote:
Best cleaning solvent to use
Through the years I've seen and used "the latest and greatest" and to answer you question, there is no best, only some "slightly better than others. It's easier to state which is the more expensive, than which is the best. .....

My first pass and soaking solvent is; Mineral Sprits
My BP favorite, is; Ballistol
My most used is still,; Noppe's-9
My metal preservation, is; StrongArm

Be Safe !!!
Old May 11, 2018, 05:51 PM   #23
RC20

I will disagree. CK2k and Bore Tech Eliminator are the two best I have seen and by performance.

There may be others that equal them, I doubt any better.

One stop cleaning, no mixing two chemical, no three chemicals in the mix, no odor, no haz. It does not get any better than that.

Confirmed by boro scope.

About 3 x cycles of 5 strokes with a nylon brush each followed by a dry patch.

Two on the last to make sure there is no residue in the barrel.

While I think there are other brand names out there that use the same chemistry to do the job, I have yet to hear of anyone that beats the minimum amount of work that the two listed do.

Old very dirty barrel takes longer. Once clean its simple maintenance.
Old May 11, 2018, 06:03 PM   #24
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
You ask 5 different people what the best of anything is and you could get five different answer's. There is not really a best of anything. Get the small jars of cleaner and try them. I think you'll find one you like the best. For me it's Hoppe's #9. I like the way it smell's!
Me too!
Old May 11, 2018, 06:38 PM   #25
RC20

Hopees is gun smell Nirvana, except to my wife and it doesn't clean.