The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 4, 2018, 03:51 PM   #1
kymasabe

Sub-$400 AR15 ??

Some say it can't be done. And in all honestly, it probably can't but...we can get pretty close.
Palmetto State Armory has some pretty good deals going on, I couldn't pass up. Classic complete lower for $129 with free shipping.
Blackhawk complete lower for $129 plus shipping ($147 total)
They also had a mid-length complete upper for $149 with a pink handguard, less BCG and charging handle, with free shipping I'm sure you could pick up a PSA BCG and handle for under $100, OR JoeBobOutfitters has Toolcraft black nitride BCG's for $80 and basic mil-spec charging handles for $18.

Either way, if someone is looking to get into a basic AR, looks like you can build one for right around $400 give or take a little.
Will it need a better trigger? Probably.
Will it come with mags? Probably not.
And you'll need an optic or rear sight, but the big parts are there. And, I've been very happy with PSA products and customer service so...I don't think you can go wrong there.
Old May 4, 2018, 04:03 PM   #2
kymasabe

...and yes, I know a pink handguard sucks, but most of us AR fans have take-off's laying around somewhere, or know a friend that has a box full of them so..not a big deal.
Old May 4, 2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Kvon2

I bought a bear creek arsenal AR in 7.62x39 for $399 and it has functioned flawlessly and accurately. It was supposed to come with a 30 round magazine but the people's republic of Maryland didn't allow that, so I ended up buying some others. They offer it in 5.56 for the same price I believe.

Its certainly not the same quality as my Stag Arms rifle but for 400? More than satisfied.
Old May 4, 2018, 08:32 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I saw two advertised last week (national chains / local ads) for under $400.
One was $384 (Cal-Ranch - don't remember brand) and one was $399 (Sportsman's Warehouse - Stag, I believe).

A few weeks ago, Classic Firearms had a 'flash sale' on a no-name basic M4gery for $254.
Old May 4, 2018, 09:29 PM   #5
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
I saw two advertised last week (national chains / local ads) for under $400.
One was $384 (Cal-Ranch - don't remember brand) and one was $399 (Sportsman's Warehouse - Stag, I believe).

A few weeks ago, Classic Firearms had a 'flash sale' on a no-name basic M4gery for $254.
Wow, that's a crazy low price...
Old May 4, 2018, 09:38 PM   #6
kymasabe

Classic arms...$379 AT I Omni Hybrid Maxx
Old May 5, 2018, 12:09 AM   #7
MagnumWill

If you play your cards right at PSA you can easily build one for ~$370, if you’re not picky about configuration.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:14 AM   #8
riffraff

One of the gun shops near me advertises a "custom" model, which I believe is mostly PSA parts but has a polymer lower, for $400. Even has a FF guard. I assume they bought a crate of polymer lowers, the cheapest build kits, throw them together and whammo at some dealer price they built a $300 AR.

So sure it can be done - also though you regularly see name brand stuff like Ruger 556's and S&W M&P 15's for ~$550. Not saying they are high end or whatever but spend an extra $150 and they are of good working quality right out of the box, well warrantied even.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:27 AM   #9
COSteve

Seems like a sub $400 AR would be worth even less than what you pay for it.

Pass.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:50 PM   #10
mellow_c

There are some pretty cheap rifle kits out there if you are willing and able to assemble your own. I see stuff from PSA for only $300, sometimes a bit more. Add to that the cost of a lower, $50 (not counting the cost of a background check) and the addition of a rear sight, another $50 for a decent one, and you're at $400 for a perfectly functional basic rifle.

I see nothing wrong with a rifle like that, and PSA has an incredible warranty. Something like that may not have a nice trigger, or the best BCG or barrel or any additional cosmetic or ergonomic features, but I see no reason why it wouldn't hold up to many thousands of rounds of normal use.

If you're dead set on having the best quality parts to reduce the chances of any type of parts breakage/failures, you can easily justify spending more money. But if you just want a basic rifle that works, that you can enjoy and that for the most part should be a robust and reliable tool should you need it to be, I think a basic parts kit will get you there.

Delta team tactical has some pretty good deals on rifle kits as well.

Id personally stay away from polymer lowers. For no other reason than I think forged aluminum lowers are the best you can get in terms of cost, weight, and strength. Polymer is maybe a bit lighter and cheaper, but it is not as strong as forged aluminum. I don't care much for billet either... Even though they can look real cool, and have nice flared mag wells, and usually have nice tight upper to lower fitment, they are usually machined from softer aluminum and usually heavier too due to extra material for cosmetic reasons, and they are also usually more expensive.

If long term reliability and durability are a main concern, i can see spending just a bit more for a better BCG (better materials and quality control) and a nitride barrel (for longer barrel life). Other than that you're just spending money on accuracy, feel, economics, looks, and cool factor.

All that being said, buying a factory rifle does remove some of the likelihood of being stuck with parts that don't fit together as well as you might hope (although they would still probably function just fine)... For example, if you just have one upper and one lower, and they have a slightly sloppy or loose fit, then that's just what you've got, where with a factory rifle, they have lots of parts to choose from so they can spend the bit of extra time selecting an upper and lower that fit together a bit better. But you could also end up with a lower and upper that fit perfectly if you assemble your own... I'm just saying that in theory, you should be able to expect better consistency with a factory rifle than you might with any old build kit.

But there is no real good reason to think that a do it yourself rifle kit wouldn't end up being just what you would hope for, and for a minimal amount of money.

Last edited by mellow_c; May 5, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old May 5, 2018, 03:36 PM   #11
TruthTellers

I want to say I've seen Del-Ton's on sale online for under 400, but I can't remember exactly.
Old May 5, 2018, 07:03 PM   #12
kymasabe

Well, I bought a PSA complete upper, carbine length, phosphate finish, 1:7, but it comes with the ugly pink handguard, which is the FIRST thing getting replaced, probably with Magpul MOE. PSA had complete classic lowers for $129 with free shipping, but I liked the Blackhawk classic complete lower for $147 including shipping. I have a PSA bolt carrier group and a Strike Industries charging handle laying around so, will throw together another AR. No mag, no rear sight, I'll own the thing for just under $400.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-...165448233.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...165448002.html
Old May 5, 2018, 07:42 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Wow, that's a crazy low price...
Likely, crazy-low quality, too.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:04 PM   #14
AK Man

A few months ago I saw that Classic Firearms had complete 7.62x39 uppers for $199 so I bought one. I recently started milling out my own 80% AR lowers & had picked up a bunch of blems for $25 each. At a local gun show I bought a Anderson lower parts kit for $40 & a buffer tube/stock kit for $40. I got it put together then put on a $69 scope from Walmart & had to sight it in with a .223 mag because everywhere was sold out but found a few 7.62 mags last month for $19ea. So the total cash outlay for this AR47 as you see it is $392.

It's not a piece of thrown together junk it shoots good.
This is at 100yds with black box Wolf. The squairs on this target are 1" apart.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:17 PM   #15
youngridge

LGS had DPMS AR-15’s for around $370 I want to say. Heck of a deal. Didn’t get one, was like a week before Parkland. Then they all vanished....they had 2 pallets on the floor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 6, 2018, 09:30 AM   #16
AK Man

Originally Posted by Youngridge
Quote:
LGS had DPMS AR-15’s for around $370 I want to say. Heck of a deal. Didn’t get one, was like a week before Parkland. Then they all vanished....they had 2 pallets on the floor...
You snooze you lose! But that is without sights or mag, total cost for my AR47 was $304 without adding the scope & mag.
Old May 6, 2018, 03:41 PM   #17
mellow_c

Hard to go wrong with something like this...

Everything but the lower and rear sight.

$299

http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-...Saturday+5%2f5
Old May 7, 2018, 07:55 AM   #18
gshayd

If you search the interwebs you can find them

https://gun.deals/ar-deals?mobile=true
Old May 7, 2018, 10:47 PM   #19
AK Man

Here is a deal for you if you build 80%.

https://thundertactical.com/collecti...-with-80-lower

Add discount code TG15 at checkout to get an extra 15% off.
It drops the price to $ 374.46