The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2018, 12:26 PM   #1
Wendyj

44 magnum cast or jacketed in carbine

I just picked up a big boy steel Henry this weekend and was wondering if anyone has one and what accuracy you are having with either jacketed or lead bullets. I am going to use it for my 100 yard food plot this fall. Eyes are too bad to use sights but put a red dot on it. I need to slug the bore for lead but gun store gave me 2 boxes of lever revolution rounds to go with the gun. I have no idea how they will shoot. If I am not mistaken I think a good BH for this around 12-15. I don't plan on plinking with it so 100 rounds after zero should be sufficient. I am partial to the Nosler sporting bullet but Midway was out of stock this weekend.
Old April 30, 2018, 12:46 PM   #2
5whiskey

I am a huge proponent of cast ammo. However, if I did not plan on any kind of plinking or target practice (beyond sighting in and familiarization) with the gun I may well stick with jacketed projectiles. Loading cast is not "hard" per se, but there are extra steps and precautions to it (especially if you shuck it through a lever rifle). Call it lazy, but I wouldn't go to the trouble if a one time order of 100 projectiles would last you years.

And there are some jacketed projectiles in .44 that are excellent for hunting.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 30, 2018, 12:58 PM   #3
JeepHammer

I love the levers, but keep in mind they aren't the easiest rifles to clean.
I'd go jacketed for that very reason, or get a really good muzzle crown protector.

With my brass version, I found the factory 180 grain did a good job, about 2 MOA out of the box.
I messed with hand loads and got that down to 1-1/2 but stopped messing about there and didn't progress.
I think I would up with 200 Hornady hollow points and not too heavy of a powder charge, can't remember exactly what powder/charge.
Old April 30, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Wendyj

I'm shooting laser cast lead out of 45 colt Henry and Montana bullets out of 30-30. Accuracy has been good but velocities hard to keep up with lead. The Henry and the Marlin are easy to take the lever off and bolt out to clean from the back. I used to shoot the Winchester silver tipped hollow points out of a Winchester angle eject in 44 I had which was all it would accurately shoot. I say easy to clean. I ran home last weekend and pulled the battery out of the 45 and cleaned outside due to ammonia smell. I forgot the extractor which is somewhere under my deck never to be found again. Henry was nice enough to mail a new one for free in 2-3 weeks. 2400 seems to be go to powder for 44. I may be wrong.
Old May 1, 2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Real Gun

I initially clean my Lightning pump, Henry Big Boy, and Marlin 1894 using a bore snake, pulling the gunk out the muzzle instead of pushing it back into the action. Things would have to be really a mess before I would start taking the gun apart. Each is fired no more than 60 rounds in an outing, so I don't find that a need for a tear down, only a clean barrel and maybe a drop of oil.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:19 PM   #6
JeepHammer

People talk about velocities, nothing matches the velocity of a small part with a spring behind it!

Folks don't understand why I build benches with smooth plywood tops, painted white most times, and 3 side 'backstops' around the bench... At least I know which way that small part took off when it ricochets!
All cracks filled. No matter how small the crack, there will eventually be a part smaller! (Murphy's Law)

I usually do full tear down cleaning since I don't know how long it's going to be in the gun safe before it gets shot again, and I'm OCD...
I have a hard time not doing full teardown even when I know I'm shooting again the next day... (It's a curse)

One of my favorite lever shooters is an 1894 Marlin.
It doesn't like round ball ammo, which I've become fond of lately.
Not sure any of the levers will like round ball ammo, but I'm having a ton of fun with it in the cowboy pistols!

I hog hunted with 300 grain Hornady XTPs, liked the bullet but kicked like a mule in .44 Mag with +P loads. Actually stretched Ruger pistol frame, but did wonders on hogs.
With many years of stupidity, I've learned most times the lighter loads are not only accurate, but they do just as good a job on most critters, and paper can't tell the difference between a round ball or 300 grain XTP.

The only thing I don't like about cast bullets is cleaning lead... (Does anyone?...)
Micro groove barrels plug up quickly, so when 1894 Marlin was the only common side eject lever gun (hate brass in my face) I got away from cast bullets... Just coming back around to it again.

Anyway, sounds like you have a pretty good grip on things, so good luck and let us know how you progress!
Old May 1, 2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Reloadron

44 magnum cast or jacketed in carbine?

I don't shoot a lever gun in 44 Magnum but with a Ruger 44 Carbine my bullet choice has always been 240 grain JHP bullets. Hunting West Virginia the 240 grain JHP was always my go to bullet. All of my deer shots were under 100 yards and most inside 70 yards and all of the deer were quite dead with no following blood trails. While I liked 300 grain bullets in my S&W Model 29 side arm I never felt a need in my rifle. Just my take but see what works for you in your rifle.

Ron
Old May 1, 2018, 11:19 PM   #8
Bamashooter

My Henry Big Boy shoots 225gr Leverevolution bullets very well. Pretty much my go to hunting bullet. For plinking I really like HSM 200gr LRN ammo. Not much recoil and getting good accuracy at 100yrds. Like Wendyj said, taking the Henry apart to clean isnt much of an issue.
Old May 4, 2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Wendyj

Bamashooter, I use a Lee trimmer and drill. Is it possible to file that pilot down the few thousands it would take to get correct trim length for the lever evolution bullet. Shouldn't take more than a few small hits with a light file. Hate to buy a full trimming system when the Lees are 7 bucks. Can buy another for full length cases.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Wendyj

I got to the range today with the lever evolution and federal fusion 240 grain. I will never buy the lever evolution bullets probably as they didn't group very well. The fusion done ok with a red dot and my eyes. I think with reloads I can beat the groups I got today. I want to scope but the red dot is small and light on the rifle. I hate to do it. Bullets in 5 shot group are at 25 yards and 3 shot group is at 50. Bullet still rising. Don't know who makes the bullets in the
federal Fusion. I took last 2 shots at a 3 foot pine sapling at 80 yards and blew it out of the ground. Didn't take the chronograph so speed is something I wish I had gotten. I am pleased with it. I am hating my Marlin 30-30 jm stamp. I have been 3 times now using Missouri bullets 165 grain and H4895 powder. Still bullets flying all over the place. It is scoped but not worthy of one so it's coming off. I tried some jacketed Sierra soft points in 150 grain and imr 3031 and they were even worse. My Remlin in 30-30 out shot this rifle all day long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44 mag 25 yards federal fusion.JPG (79.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 44 maf federal fusion.JPG (96.1 KB, 28 views)
Old May 6, 2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Real Gun

I have a scope on my 30-30 Marlin but don't believe in it for my pistol caliber rifles in 44 Magnum and 357 Magnum. If eyesight is a problem, the pistol calibers can better be shot at 50 yards. I personally wouldn't look for precise groups with these guns, because a precision rifle mindset doesn't fit the equipment. It could be the old rule that if all shots stayed on a paper plate, you had a good day.

BTW, I don't like to shoot from a rest either, but I might lean on a post as a substitute for a tree.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:40 AM   #12
Wendyj

I shot the with my arm on my bull bag holding fore end of the rifle at the rear. Too short to fit across the bag. No, I don't expect sub moa with the lever guns. My bolts yes but I know what these are. The rear sight on this one is too close so it has a small red dot on it.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:24 PM   #13
chris in va

If you're worried about leading, try powdercoating. It's super easy and eliminates the issue.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:55 PM   #14
rg1

I like Hornady 240 gr. XTP hollowpoints in my Winchester 16" Trapper 44 Magnum. One of the most accurate bullets reported by many in their rifles. CCI 350 Mag primers, Winchester 296 powder, and 240 XTP's is a great combination. Max load is 24 grains and do not reduce more than 22 grains. My best load is with 23 grains of 296 and others often post 23.5 grains as their most accurate load. I shoot the same in both a Ruger Super Blackhawk and my Win Trapper carbine. 44 Magnum isn't a plinking rifle anyway so I'd choose jacketed bullets.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:03 AM   #15
Wendyj

Isn't Winchester 296 same as H110?
Old May 7, 2018, 01:17 PM   #16
Reloadron

Isn't Winchester 296 same as H110?

Rumor control says I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that indeed yes, H110 and Win 296 are the same powder less any lot variation on either.

That said your best bet would be an email to Hodgdon and make the inquiry as to H110 and W296 being the same.

Ron
Old May 10, 2018, 12:47 PM   #17
ShootistPRS

I have contacted Hodgdon and yes, they are the same powder in different containers. The difference in load data has more to do with interpretation by the technician than lot to lot variations. The differences in bullet manufacture and case volumes tend to make more difference than lot variation.
There has been a slow movement back toward the original pressure loads using these powders. It used to be listed in loads for Ruger and Contender only but the hotter loads are appearing now in the standard load sections of some manuals. Some of the hotter loads are not good for use in S&W and Colt revolvers as the recoil tends to twist the frames and loosen the screws on the side plates. but the pressures have never been to much for the guns to handle.
I have been using 19.1 grains of H110 with a Sierra 140 grain JHP for 46 years in my Ruger and it will still shoot 1" groups at 25 yards. The Ruger shows no excessive wear and it has well over 30,000 of these rounds through it (I put 30,000 rounds through it in three years when I was shooting Hunters Pistol Silhouette).
Old May 10, 2018, 01:30 PM   #18
mikld

FWIW; if you choose to shoot cast in your 44 carbine, SAAMI specs for 44 Magnum rifle barrels is .431" groove diameter. Handgun specs for groove diameter is .429". Dunno why but you'll need the info to find proper diameter cast bullets for your carbine.
Old May 10, 2018, 05:44 PM   #19
Wendyj

I just got some Sierra 240 grain jsp from Midway and some Starline brass. I loaded up a handful at 23.5 grains of H110. .5 over minimum if I rember correctly. Guess I'll just have to see how it shoots. Got around 50 cast bullets loaded for it in 240 and 260 grain. All test loads for now.
Old May 10, 2018, 08:44 PM   #20
std7mag

Wendy,

I don't think i would complain about a group like that with a red dot.

My brother's, sister's, cousin's, uncle's, friend's, college room mate says the Win and Hodgdon powder are the same. Which means nothing.

Ya really gotta watch iraqveteran8888 on the tube with cast bullet performance.
Pretty amazing.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:33 AM   #21
KEYBEAR

I load a lot for the 44 Mags the 240gr, XTP works very well . I found a 240 XTP with W296 (22.5gr.) out of the little Ruger bolt rifle shoots very well . The 300 XTP has to much drop for my liking . The 240 bullets dead on at 50 yards will be 1 inch low at 100 yards . The 300gr. at 50 yards dead on shoot ok but at 100 yards drop 6.5 inches . I load only the 240gr. XTP for that Little Ruger Rifle because out to 150 Yards just point and shoot .
Old May 11, 2018, 09:57 AM   #22
Wendyj

I’ve loaded up a bunch of the xtps. I think I used Unique. I’m rethinking H110 to be my go to powder if the accuracy holds up. I’ll use Unique for the 45.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:49 PM   #23
lordvader

I think you should just stick to jacketed bullets and save yourself the trouble of extra cleaning procedures. Especially, like you indicated, you're not going to plink with the rifle.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:56 PM   #24
Nanuk

I like 296/110 for magnum loads #2 is 2400. The 44 mag is a great versatile round as I am sure you know.

Have fun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 11, 2018, 01:01 PM   #25
Nanuk

Quote:
I hog hunted with 300 grain Hornady XTPs, liked the bullet but kicked like a mule in .44 Mag with +P loads. Actually stretched Ruger pistol frame, but did wonders on hogs.
There is no SAAMI spec for +P 44 magnum. Why do you feel the need to load it over pressure? Did you have a reliable way to measure pressure? Stretched a Ruger revolver? HMM....... I wonder where between 40K and 80K your loads are that they stretched a Ruger frame?

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.