The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 17, 2009, 04:00 PM   #51
dipper

No problem PB, BUT, like I said, this IS NOT a racial thing---it applies to all races.
If you choose to take it that way I guess your free to do so.

Also, like I said, I couldn't resist a comment after you made your comment that it is all about lack of money ....it isn't....it's all about lack of character and ethics and morals...that simple.

Again, I have seen what I described in most all races and ethnic backgrounds and was not implying what I said to any one race.

Also, consider the fact that in my immediate family, there are three races represented!

I'll leave you to your thread.
Old January 17, 2009, 04:05 PM   #52
dipper

Quote:
You're right, I'm done with some of the racial comments on here, first the blacks now the jews..
Don't put words in my mouth, I never mentioned blacks---you did....I guess it's in your mind.

I only mentioned the Jews as another race that CAN talk about oppression----plenty of oppression to go around in this world----no race has the market cornered----GET MY POINT??

GOOD, I'm done.
Old January 17, 2009, 06:57 PM   #53
Starcheck55

Quote:
I only mentioned the Jews as another race that CAN talk about oppression
Jewish isn't a race it is a religious identity, but I digress.

We all have the right to protect ourselves (trying to keep this thread on topic) against whoever we feel is a threat.

Some people are more threatened by those of another race, whether it is because of past experiences, anecdotal stories, media bias, or plain bigotry. The beauty of America is just this: you have the right to judge people based on anything you want. Just like we all have the right to choose whatever (legal) gun we want to carry...we can like/dislike a person for whatever reason we want.

If I want to dislike some person because they have red hair, or a southern accent...it is well within my rights. As long as I do not discriminate against them in regards to providing them with a home, or a job, or some other protected privileges spelled out by the government, then I'm good to go.

I understand we all want to live in a society where there is no hate, bigotry, ignorance, etc....but that is not going to happen. It is basic human biology to be more accepting of people who have a similar genetic makeup. Skin color, hair color, height, build, facial features. I don't think any of us (who live in the US) are afraid that if we marry someone of a different race we'll be persecuted or harmed. Yet statistically speaking almost all of us will marry (if you get married) someone of the same race.

Only 8.5% of (married) black men are married to NON black women (white, asian, other). Does that mean that 91.5% of black men are being racist for not choosing a mate of a different race? Of course not. You can't really control who you are (physically) attracted to. Humans have evolved in a way that we are more comfortable with people who are similar to ourselves and visa versa.

It doesn't make you racist, it makes you human. End of story.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:04 PM   #54
LucifersPants

Well obviously the solution is banning all firearms in Portland, because as we all know if you take them away from ordinary productive citizens, the criminals will surely see the error of their ways, find Jesus and turn themselves in.:barf:

It really takes on a whole new dimension of stupidity when you put it in writing doesn't it? Yet there are those out there that actually believe that.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:05 AM   #55
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Totally off topic for L&CR
Closed Thread