The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2001, 04:38 AM   #1
yankytrash

Loose slide action on Mossberg 500

Friend of mine just picked up a used Mossberg 500 in trade for some work. The guy he got it from claimed it was only shot 2 or 3 times. ( and here we go.....)

I looked at it for him, and it's ragged. It's been shot well over 2 or 3 times. I'd say it was shot probably more like 4000 rounds, and wasn't cleaned after the last 2 or 3 times it was shot.

After much cleaning and inspection, my biggest concern is the loose fore-end. The slides seem to have a sloppy fit, and the tube has a loose fit over the magazine. Just bringing the gun from his bedroom to show it to me in the living room, it was rattling so loud I thought he had a bag of coins in the mag.

The first indication of the misuse of the gun was the that the barrel bolt needed to be turned about 2 revolutions to be tight.

Anyway, is there anything he can do to this gun to tighten up the action? If he ever gets a slug barrel for this gun, we'll be deer hunting together in the same patch of woods, and I don't want to have to drag his fat butt out the woods because he broke his arm on a slide that wouldn't hold onto a 3" mag buckshot load.

I feel sorry for him, too, and I'd like to see him end up with a nice gun. He worked his butt off for this gun, and was really looking forward to hunting with me without having to borrow a gun. I know this 500 can be a better gun than my old 870's.

Or is this normal? Does a Mossy 500 rattle around more than a Rem 870?
Old December 4, 2001, 06:00 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

" I know this 500 can be a better gun than my old 870s"....

SNORT, WHEEZE, (Clutching chest) did you really mean that(G)?

First, the 500 is a good shotgun. Yes, they ALL rattle, some more than others, but all do.

Second, snug up the mag cap until the bbl cannot be moved in the receiver.If it doesn't go tight, get it to a decent smith. I bet the forend nut that holds metal to wood is loose also, but it's been 20-couple years since I owned one.

I've heard lifespans on 500s estimated as low as 5000 rounds, but it's hearsay. I do think that given decent care, they'll last longer than we will.

I will say that uncorking a 3" mag load in one of these will be something like being tackled by an NFL lineman. Your buddy may do better with the 2 3/4", 9 pellet load of 00.
Old December 4, 2001, 06:11 AM   #3
yankytrash

Quote:
I've heard lifespans on 500s estimated as low as 5000 rounds, but it's hearsay. I do think that given decent care, they'll last longer than we will.
Ohboy.... I was kinda afraid someone would say somethin like that. This gun has definitely seen close to 5000 rounds, and definitely hasn't been taken care of decently.

Just past the chamber for about 6", the barrel is actually scratched from, what looks like, steel shot. I was able to feel the gouges with a dental tool.

I guess I better have him send it to a smith to make sure it's alright first. Maybe he can use it for spring gobblers next year....
Old December 4, 2001, 11:18 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If you've been around here for long, you've heard me pontificate on having a smith go over old guns before firing. This one seems old, tho by mileage not years. Let a smith look at it.

Meanwhile,you might want to lend him one of yours, the season won't last forever...
Old December 4, 2001, 03:57 PM   #5
swampgator

To echo Dave's Comments

Mossys do rattle, way more than any 870 I've ever seen. But they can be fine shotguns, just like an 870.

A second to letting the smith check it over.
Old December 5, 2001, 05:53 AM   #6
Azrael256

I have a Model 500 myself, and I have noticed that there is some amount of rattling, but absolutely nothing like you described. I would most definetly take it to a smith to have it looked over. I do that with my own guns that have been sitting in controlled conditions for a long time. Nobody ever had a barrel blow up from being too careful about inspecting the shotgun.
As for the 3" magnum shells... Don't. They feed just fine, they fire just fine, and they eject just fine, but unless your friend is quite a solid person, it's going to be like Mark McGwire trying to knock your shoulder out of the park.