The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2001, 01:12 PM   #1
Winston

Recoil Reducer

Just noted a Mercury recoil reducer available for the Benelli M1.

Has anyone used such an accessory. What's been your experience.
Old September 2, 2001, 05:01 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No direct experience, but....

A couple of gearhead engineers I know are also shotgunners. According to one technical minded fellow, the mercury reducers have maybe a 1% perceived advantage over that same weight as merely mass.Others differ.I'm no scientist, and I cannot tell when firing a light load from a heavy shotgun if it's light, or very light.

Handload an old hull or two to the crimp with fine shot, no new primer, no wad, no powder, and crimp it shut. You now have about a 4 oz weight that neatly fits into the magazine or under the pad. Add another for 1/2 lb of mass to lower the felt recoil significantly.

If you like the feel, then explore the possibilities of a mercury reducer, or one of the alternatives. Just remember the balance and "Feel" will change.