The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2016, 09:51 AM   #1
meathanger

new bullets for reloading

has anyone heard of or have tried mayhembullets.com priced seem ok, just not sure of the quality for them.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:53 AM   #2
condor bravo

Not familiar with Mayhembullets.com. Looking at the website, the coating does not seem to be identified. The black coating could suggest moly coating which is fine. Have very successfully used many rifle caliber moly coats from another source and recommend highly. Have never tried handgun calibers. The sizing with the rifle bullets has always been good.

Edit:
Well, a second look says it is Hi-Tek coating that is probably better known.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 3, 2016, 04:28 PM   #3
meathanger

I'll try then out and see if they are any good. Thanks for your help.
Old May 4, 2016, 07:34 PM   #4
oley55

per the web site they are Hi-Tek coated bullets.

http://mayhembullets.com/p/info
Old May 5, 2016, 12:58 PM   #5
meathanger

just got them in the mail. they look good, packaging was great. They came vaccume sealed. Going to load some up right now and shoot them later today or tommorow. If they shoot good I will get more for my different calibers.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:37 AM   #6
meathanger

Well I shot 200 from a stock G19 barrel and had no leading at all. Had no problems with feeding. Accuracy was as good as any other bullet out of a Glock. I'm going to be ordering more now.
Old May 6, 2016, 05:29 PM   #7
dmoserwy

I haven't tried mayhem bullets but i have used Missouri Bullets. They are coated with hi-tek coating and work very well for me.
Old May 6, 2016, 05:43 PM   #8
briandg

Not a chance in bell, for me. I believe that those are Lee molds. Ten coating lis darker on other brands, this ma be a single coat. Look at the page, and they only have 1or2 packages in stock.

My thoughts are that someone has a teenager in the garage cranking out hand cast bullets with large group molds, and God only knows what they are using for metal. I'd never buy from a startup company that left me with this many questions.

Don't use a debit card, and if you buy with a credit card, check your statements diligently from now on. Let me add that this site does not appear to have a secure connection.

Last edited by briandg; May 6, 2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 6, 2016, 06:04 PM   #9
briandg

This person joined and immediately asked this question, then ordered. Not even 48 hours after he posted that he bought them,and less than 24 hours later he came back and posted a positive review.

This situation is abnormal and deserves careful consideration. I'd not get involved.
Old May 6, 2016, 06:49 PM   #10
condor bravo

He seems to be well satisfied with his purchase so what more can be said? Note that they also sell ammunition, restricted to one box per day per indicated calibers, or up to three boxes of mixed calibers per day. I'm not familiar with Hi-Tek coating but it receives good reviews. At one time or another every company was a start-up and products could have been limited. Isn't the story behind MidwayUSA that Larry Potterfield began by selling fishing flies?

Edit:
Correction, elsewhere in the site it is stated that loaded ammunition is not sold. The sign under the link "Home" titled "Ammunition Limits" obviously does not apply. The sign is to encourage reloading, apparently to avoid limited quantities of loaded ammunition.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 6, 2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old May 6, 2016, 09:24 PM   #11
briandg

Larry started as a tiny little shop selling ammo, I think and in a few years he had a huge catalog business, and soon after, went internet and huge.

Bass pro started out as a guy who sold fishing supplies out of liquor stores, gas stations, and so forth, back when little bait shops and fishing and sporting good shops could b found on some street corners.we had a few bass pro counters in town. It was another incredible story. Cabelas started out as a gun shop in Nebraska back when I was a kid. This industry is loaded with incredibly powerful businesses that started in game r ages, like rcbs, nosler, hornady, Lee, hodgdon, etc. Even the Remington, Winchester, and other big names started out as one man in a shop.
Old May 7, 2016, 08:59 PM   #12
tomingreeneco

Check out

When you check out on the site it redirects you to mysimplestore.com
It is secure, but not under the same name as the main site.

Maybe a problem - maybe not. Just thought I would point this out.
Old May 7, 2016, 09:59 PM   #13
briandg

Maybe not. With the advent of the transactions, it has bothered me. I bought a card at an art gallery a little while back, and the lady scanned with her phone, and could have copied all of the data when she did so..if this guy is a legitimate business, my suggestion would to be offer pay pal as an alternative. PayPal is as good as it can get for really small businesses, although the fees aren't exactly free.

Nothing w would make me happier than to see and support a new business get started. Look at Missouri. We have numerous rags to riches stories including Graf, mo bullets, and we even own Sierra now. Starting up is hard. Success takes a while.

It breaks my heart that fajen dropped out. Bloody fiberglass stocks!!!
Old May 7, 2016, 10:00 PM   #14
briandg

If I could get over my doubts, sure, I'd buy there.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:02 AM   #15
TMD

Asks about them on the 3rd. Received them on the 5th and reviewed them on the 6th.
Seen this too many times in the past where the op is actually associated with the company and is posing as a customer to tout their own product.
Old May 8, 2016, 09:09 AM   #16
jetinteriorguy

I ordered a 1000 9mm bullets last Tuesday and they arrived on Friday. Unfortunately I'm out of town and won't be back until this coming Tuesday. My daughter is house sitting so she was there to receive them. So far nothing hinky going on with the transaction, although I did use PayPal. I've been using Acme bullets with good results but thought I'd give these a try, they are just a little cheaper. So far I'm very happy with the Hitech coating, no problems pushing them fairly hard in my .357 both revolvers and lever action.