The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2001, 10:51 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ran across one of these at Guns R Us, while buying a vest and accessories.

I've been planning on getting more into trap and clay games, getting too old and crippled for hunting. I was having some sticker shock after looking over some Brownings when this one caught my eye. Here's the Specs....

One side of the bbls has Peterson Custom on it, and the other says, Ramberry- Spain. The 32" bbls are choked IM and full, non selective single trigger and non auto safety. A trap stock, with less drop than my field guns, has me seeing a little rib and the two beads figure 8 nicely when mounted.
2 3/4" chambers,and the bores are pristine. The whole shotgun shows little wear, the stock seems to fit, and they want $500 for it.

I know Spanish guns vary greatly in quality, and that inexpensive O/Us oft wear out quickly. I'm wondering if this would be a good entry level trap gun,or should I bite the bullet, sell off my firstborn, and get a Citori or something.

Thanks in advance....
Old February 8, 2001, 01:16 PM   #2
Sport

Is it possible the gun you were
looking at is a Pedersen (with a D and
an E)?

If so, they were fine guns imported in the
seventies. In my opinion, every bit the
quality of a Citori.

[Edited by Sport on 02-08-2001 at 05:22 PM]
Old February 8, 2001, 10:47 PM   #3
mikey357

SPORT is right...the PEDERSEN was imported by the "Custom" division of....Mossberg!!! Probably equivalent in quality to a mid-grade Lanber, they are patterned after the Perazzi...but, of course, not as well-made....FWIW, I paid $500.00 for one of their "Try guns" 12 or 14 years ago, so...if it looks like its in good condition and comes close to fitting you, $500.00 seems MOST REASONABLE!!!....mikey357
Old February 9, 2001, 07:09 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input. It may have been Pedersen, these #$%^&*( bifocals are not working like they should.

I may pick this one up, thus getting my first non US firearm in the collection for about 5 years, and my first non 870 in the same.
Old February 9, 2001, 09:29 PM   #5
Bam Bam

Dave, you have more experience in scatterguns than me, but from what I have seen and heard since getting into it, I say hold out and save up. It will cost more but a Beretta, Weatherby, Ruger, Daly, SKB, Moroku, Browning, Rem, Win, etc. may well be a better purchase in the long run. When I was looking for the first O/U a signifigant piece of advice was this from a very experienced shotgunner,

"The sour taste of low-quality lingers on long after the sweet taste of low price is gone"

Old February 9, 2001, 09:36 PM   #6
2shots

Mikey357 is right about the origins of the Pederson. The name comes from one of Mossberg's executives. The guns do look like Perrazis--but only on the outside. Watch for soft firing pins, but thay can easily be replaced. I had one some 10 years ago and had Mike Orlen install choke tubes. Turned out to be a very good clays gun.
Old February 10, 2001, 10:52 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've been mad as heck for about 24 hours now, and it's not getting any better. The guy at Guns R Us, who I've known for 25 years or so, didn't flag the gun like he said he would, and someone else came in and put some money on it. I received a fervent and sincere apology, but someone else has the Pedersen....

Thanks, guys....
Old February 10, 2001, 01:16 PM   #8
goob

If it's Pederson you want...

I'm not sure of the feasibility of it for you, but I have a friend that just got a steal on a nice SKB trap gun, and is trying to unload his Pederson to help defray the costs. I've used the gun personally, and really do like it. Sounds about like what you're talking about with the exception of the chokes. I think his are MOD/MOD. I can also verify the soft firing pins; this particular gun started barely denting primers, so it went in the shop for a replacement, and is now back up and running. He's only asking $400 for it, and I can tell you that it's been well taken care of. If you're interested, let me know, I'll give you a phone number.
Old February 10, 2001, 03:12 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, goob, but I think I'll pass. First, the guy from the store called and apologized, he says the guy that put something down was just trying to hold it, and may not buy it after all.

Second, he says they have a used trap 1100 coming in, and I may play this into a discount.

Besides, I still have a perfectly good 870, and will be using same tomorrow for a little trap....
Old February 10, 2001, 05:47 PM   #10
goob

understand...

No problem at all. I totally understand. In fact, I just bought a used 1100 Trap yesterday, and couldn't be happier. Good luck.