The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
TX_QtPi

My Review of Coonan Arms

First of let me apologize if this is not in the correct section. Admins please move if it's not, Thanks.

So... I was actually TRYING to Order one of the Coonan Classics.
I read a couple other post on here that convinced me "YES, This would be the next gun for my collection."
I initially sent them an e-mail requesting more information using their "contact us" page, to which I got no response.
So I e-mailed them again to their direct sales e-mail Oh, I got a response, a somewhat iffy "yeah so so more or less" kind of response when I inquired further it got good. Here are the unaltered exchanges.

Cynthia Mendez

TO:[email protected]
Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:14 PM
Hi,
Wondering if you contact page is working or not. I contacted Coonan Arms about options for your Coonan Classic.
I was able to find most of my answers on your pricing sheet from your page. I'll be getting after market hex sights for the Coonan so I'll stick to the basic sights you offer. I would like to have one with just the lower in the black duracoat leaving the Slide, trigger, slide release, Thumb lock, Grip Lock and hammer in the original satin finish.

If you can provide me with a price quote and an estimated build/delivery time I would appreciate it.
Thanks so much.
-Cynthia I. Mendez

TO:'Cynthia Mendez'

CC: 'Connie White'
Monday, July 2, 2012 9:14 AM

Cynthia,

Order the black duracoat with that description. I believe it would be $1549.99. Running about 9-12 months or so.

Thanks,

David Neville
VP
Coonan Inc.
2033 105th Ave N.E.
Blaine, MN 55449

Re: RE: contact page?

Monday, July 2, 2012 12:07 PM

How does the order process work? I'm still curious about the price quote, I'm only wanting the lower with the duracoat but the price quoted seems to be for the regular complete coverage. If you provide me with info on what it takes to order and a final price I'll be able to give you an informed decision. Thank you again.

RE: RE: contact page?

TO:'Cynthia Mendez'
Monday, July 2, 2012 1:04 PM

$299.99 for one color duracoat. I don’t care if the whole thing is painted with lipstick or not. $299.99 you also get the grips and extra mag.

Curious $1549.99 did not strike you as a quote? You had better call your order in.

Thanks,

David Neville
VP
Coonan Inc.
2033 105th Ave N.E.
Blaine, MN 55449

Re: RE: RE: contact page?

Monday, July 2, 2012 3:39 PM

No thanks, after your reply you can keep your product.
Seriously? This is how you reply to a prospective customer. I suppose the lip stick remark is warranted cause you want to exert some kind of power trip? I'm a serious gun buyer and collector. And No, your quote is not accurate, why would I pay full price for partial work? No need to reply, I'm no longer interested in your product.

-Cynthia I Mendez

RE: RE: RE: contact page?

TO: 'Cynthia Mendez'
Monday, July 2, 2012 3:50 PM

Sounds good. Two tone is $299.99

David Neville
VP
Coonan Inc.
2033 105th Ave N.E.
Blaine, MN 55449

SO I'm left to wonder seriously what kind of customer service are they offering? I'm wanting a real quote. Saying "I believe it would be..." to me is NOT a quote... and I asked for simple clarification. honestly If they had responded with a reasonable, cohesive explanation.. i.e it's considered a custom job, it takes more time... anything, I may have bought from them still.

The "lip stick" comment was really uncalled for. YES, I'm a woman, YES, this gun is for ME, Yes, I can shoot the darn thing... I WAS VERY SERIOUS in My intent on buying it, now I don't want to give one red cent to Coonan Arms. If this is the way they behave Before getting your money how will they be once they have it?

And even after I said there is no need to respond because I was no longer interested they respond again. For what purpose to mock me as a customer? No Thanks! I'm taking the money I intended for buying the Coonan Classic and spending it on a Grendal!!

So there is my review... Buyer Beware, Buy at your own risk, expect no service or courtesy to come with your order of a Coonan Classic.
Old July 2, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Since you're reviewing your interaction with the company, and not the firearm itself, it's fine here.

And, for the record...

Wow.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 2, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
gunluver

Wow! I would say their customer service is seriously lacking
Old July 2, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
TX_QtPi

wow, pretty much sums up what went through my mind.

I figure if they ever want to be seen as a serious professional gun manufacturer they'll start acting a little better towards their prospective buyers and customers.

I mean if they are trying to get someone to pend $1,500 or so with their company they have to make us believe they are worth it, not only in quality and craftsmanship but in sales and support.

As for me, I'm redirecting funding intended for Coonan to buying a 6.5 grendal!! Though I'm still looking for a .357 auto Mag, and I'm open to suggestions.
Old July 2, 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a suggestion...

Wait a day or two for some more comments and then email them a link to this thread.

I wouldn't buy a gun from a company that treated me like that if it was twice the gun at half the price.
Old July 2, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
gun nut

I appreciate hearing how they're customer service is. I definitely won't be pursuing any of their firearms. Sorry he was such a shmuck! There are plenty of quality firearms for that kind of money from companies that have QUALITY customer service! I have confidence that you won't get that kind of response from other firearms manufacturers.
Old July 3, 2012, 03:10 AM   #7
psycho nut

Woooooow... that guy is not nice.

It's too bad, their product was definitely on my list. Now I'll probably pass. People don't seem to realize that all it takes is one bad story to put someone off a product/company. Even if it only happens once every 100 times. No one wants to be unlucky number 100.

A .357 1911 is really cool, but so is a Desert Eagle.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; July 3, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old July 3, 2012, 03:44 AM   #8
vladan

Not the reply one would expect from a professional rep ... let alone a company VP ...
Old July 3, 2012, 07:05 AM   #9
larryh1108

I'd call and get the name of his boss and send him a copy of your emails. Perhaps the company is not aware of such a jerk answering their emails. His title did say VP but that also means there is a Pres.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Nathan

. . .and this is the problem with email. It rarely works to here a light hearted comment in text, but on the phone, likely we would have all thought it was fine.

I'm not sure about the details of your order, but often gun makers have higher finish costs, even if only doing half. They did hear you and quote you. Now you don't like the quote and want to chip away at the message.

Once an email is misunderstood, a phone call would be best.

As for throwing this out there and getting a bunch of people to rag on their CS, why bother. You ought to be thrilled you emailed and received a response from an American.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Strafer Gott

Too bad you took it like that. If I were you, I'd forgive the perceived trespass, and buy the pistol, as was your original intent. I wouldn't let a little attitude put me off of something I really want. Buy it and get it painted later. As somebody pointed out, it's easy to be seen as rude in emails. Almost as bad as phone calls. Mine shoots full house .357s like there's no tomorrow, flawlessly. It's a near 1911 that shoots .357. If JM Browning had this caliber to work with, we'd all be shooting Coonan pistols today.

Yes, I really like it.

Last edited by Strafer Gott; July 3, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Dan-O

Bummer. I was hoping to get a review of the gun, not your review of an email exchange.

I'm still saving up for mine.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:58 AM   #13
MLeake

The thing is, she didn't get a quote. She got an "I believe..."

If a rep can take the time to reply to an email, he can take the time to look up the actual price of a finish, part, or mod.

It's quite possible he was joking. However, it was quite obvious Ms Mendez had taken offense at his reply. At that point, instead of ignoring her (reasonable IMO) reaction, the rep should have apologized. If he had been joking, he could have simply said, "I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny, but sometimes my sense of humor doesn't come across well via email. Please call me at this number."

He didn't do that.

To me, sorry, that is bad customer service. A VP of all people should know, and do, better.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Dragline45

Wow that guy has no place in customer service, I still would not let it stop you from getting the gun you want. Call the company, send them a copy of the emails, tell them you are interested in buying a gun from them, who knows maybe they will give you a discount for your troubles. I know if it was my company I would. Also if I found out my CS rep was costing me sales, he would be out the door that day. If he is actually the VP though, it may be a better idea not to deal with them at all.
Old July 3, 2012, 12:59 PM   #15
l98ster

I was seriously considering a Coonan Classic within the next couple of weeks. I am no longer considering this gun!!

I feel that I am a man that stands on principle. There is no way I would consider giving a company my hard earned money if they treated me this way. In fact, since this company is capable of treating anyone like that, I will not be one of their customers.

I feel that the review of the customer service interaction is more important the a review of the gun itself. To ignore this type of treatment is only asking for frustration in the future if you do purchase one of these guns.

Normally, I would have escalated this to a higher level, but this was the treatment coming from a VP??

BTW, although I think this gun is pretty cool (im a huge 38/357 fan), there are plenty of other options. Chiappa Rhino....here I come!!

-George
Old July 3, 2012, 01:37 PM   #16
TX_QtPi

Let me Clarify...

My intent is to make people aware of the companies attitude towards perspective customers. Not to get people to "rag on their CS"

I am wanting to purchase a product. I have the funds available and ready NOW, not saving up, not calling to see if I want it but to make a purchase. I'm not begging them to let me give them my money.

I did not get a Quote for what I asked. IF I would have gotten an answer with some kind, any kind of explanation why it cost the same to coat LES THAN half the gun as it does to coat the entire thing (as I said, custom job, man hours, it rained on a Tuesday when the moon was full, whatever) I may have still purchased it. I got a GUESS, "I believe it would be..."

The comments he made were obviously intentional and (as even more as he is a VP) unwarranted. He, as an officer in a company, should be aware or his communications.

Details of my order are clearly stated in the e-mail, nothing left to question. And the fact of the Matter is THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS.

The point of sharing this with the forum is so people are aware of the companies practices, whether they be common or a 1 in 100, as it was said.
They are trying (or not really) to earn my business, to earn by his GUESS $1,549 worth of my business. I have the money now, it's not that I just have money to toss away, or that I have it easy, or that I'm making money hand over fist, I earned my money, I worked for it, HE SHOULD WORK TO EARN IT FROM ME TOO.

As I said, If this is how they act when trying to get your money, how will they be once they have it?
Old July 3, 2012, 01:57 PM   #17
TailGator

Quote:
If this is how they act when trying to get your money, how will they be once they have it?
That is a valid thought. FWIW, I would walk away, too. Like you, I don't insist on giving my money to people who don't want my business. You were polite and considerate, and the person who responded to you had three opportunities to respond appropriately and failed to do so. Their loss. Perhaps you should be glad that you found out the truth about them before they took their money.
Old July 3, 2012, 03:10 PM   #18
PParcells

i dont have the ability to search at the moment, but i made a post last year with very similar problems. you should read my thread. i ended up just conceding, to make the ordeal easier, but i wasnt impressed from the get-go either. i had nothing but problems with my cannon until i took it apart and hand polished everything, frog lubed it, and started using hornady's leverution ammo. its great now, but it took some work.
Old July 3, 2012, 04:35 PM   #19
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
^^^
Quote:
i dont have the ability to search at the moment, but i made a post last year with very similar problems. you should read my thread.
Here it is:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454498

Now, go figure...
Old July 3, 2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

I'd consider it a bad experience and move on, at least until I heard a totally arrogant bonehead was recently fired from Coonan, due to CS complaints, and then maybe if I really wanted one, I'd consider giving them another shot.
Old July 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #21
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
. . .and this is the problem with email. It rarely works to here a light hearted comment in text, but on the phone, likely we would have all thought it was fine.

I'm not sure about the details of your order, but often gun makers have higher finish costs, even if only doing half. They did hear you and quote you. Now you don't like the quote and want to chip away at the message.

Once an email is misunderstood, a phone call would be best.

As for throwing this out there and getting a bunch of people to rag on their CS, why bother. You ought to be thrilled you emailed and received a response from an American.
You may can make an argument about the lipstick comment being misunderstood in email (although I do not) I don't think you can make the same claim on the "quote" comment. That was a smart**s comment, even if spoken.

As far as this getting passed around it absolutely needs to. I have worked in customer service my whole life and I am amazed at this email.

The company needs to know about this. If the company does not care then the consumers need to know.

I for one will not consider one of their firearms until I see how the company higher ups respond to this.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:17 PM   #22
Joe_Pike

I'm in sales and if I sent an email like that, joke or not, I can imagine I would be fired pretty quickly. That guy sounds like he may be suffering from rectal-cranial inversion.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:43 PM   #23
Tickling

Quote:
....rectal-cranial inversion.
My thoughts exactly.

And wow, just wow. Sure, humor doesn't translate very well through emails (if this could be called humor). But come on, even a nincompoop working CS knows to clarify misunderstandings when they arise. So I don't think Mr. Neville's behavior falls under that defense.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Chuckusaret

Well based on their customer service persons attitude and the lead time one can only assume they are not hurting for business and careless about any additional new orders. I am quite sure upper management is not aware of any problems in their customer service department. I also think if I wanted one of their products I would circumvent CS and contact someone in management. Poor customer service is the major complaint I hear about most gun stores.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #25
Hook686

It seems to me folks over analyze everything that can be. I really like a .357 magnum pistol. My Desert Eagle is just fine for my purpose. I think I would like the Coonan also. Don't sweat the small stuff. I suspect the reconsideration had nothing to do with the VP's attitude, maybe just forms the basis of a change in mind about buying the Coonan.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Closed Thread