The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
gunnerdown

Should i do any upgrades to my AR?????

I would like to hear from you guys if i should do any upgrades to my AR.My main use is for predator hunting and target shooting only.I was thinking about putting on a side iron sight so that i can make close range hits.What kind of setups should i do for the iron sights on the side and still have my scope on the top???? Thanks for all the help!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7999.JPG (80.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8003.JPG (77.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8005.JPG (75.9 KB, 26 views)
Old June 28, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Skarekrow88

If you had to add something else a Magpul VFG or AFG for another grip option maybe
Old June 28, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
loose_holster_dan

nope. you're good.

if you want irons, think about putting a quick detach mount option on your scope, and have magpul buis folded down underneath. 45deg mount irons are a little awkward IMO. i even had a 45 deg mount for a small red dot (burris fast fire) on my aug for awhile, but even that was awkward.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 28, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Kimber84

Should i do any upgrades to my AR?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdown View Post
I would like to hear from you guys if i should do any upgrades to my AR.My main use is for predator hunting and target shooting only.I was thinking about putting on a side iron sight so that i can make close range hits.What kind of setups should i do for the iron sights on the side and still have my scope on the top???? Thanks for all the help!!!!!!
If its strictly a varmint gun, I'd drop the front sight post and go w a low pro gas block. I know the magnification usually negates the impact of the sight post in the view of the scope, but I've always noticed the haze from it in my last couple that were that way.

Personally I'd ditch iron sight idea, but that's just me. Someone makes 45 degree sights that kick off of the picitinny, at least for a rear sight. The front, if you put a low pro gas block with a rail could serve as a mount for your offset front sight.
Old June 28, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Agree with getting rid of front tower and adding canted red dot. I would also add a rail so that you could add a light if and when needed.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #6
tmorone

My only "must have" for AR's is a good trigger. Gieselle or Timney are my go-to's
Old June 28, 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
FtrPilot

I agree with tmorone. I added the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger to my AR and recommend it highly.

http://geissele.com/hi-speed-2.aspx
Old June 28, 2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Theohazard

I agree with the trigger upgrade; that will make the biggest difference in your accuracy.

45-degree sights aren't for everyone, but they work great for some people. I like them for making up-close shots with a scope installed. But you'd have to install a rail system to install the front sight; if you put it on top of your Magpul handguard it will be too high. Otherwise, an angled reflex sight like loose holster dan showed will work without changing the handguard.

If you want a light, you don't need to install a rail, you can attach it to your Magpul handguards.

The main thing I noticed is the way you have your sling attached. Very few rifles these days come stock with decent sling attachments. Too many people try to install newer tactical-style slings using the old-fashioned Elmer Fudd-style hunting sling attachments that are on or near the bottom of the rifle. The way your sling is attached now your rifle will tend to cant away from you and the mag and pistol grip can smack you in your tender places .

If you're right handed, you want the front attachment to be at the top of the front of your rail toward the left side of the rail. Magpul Rail Sling Attachments work great. In the rear, most QD attachments are too low; yours is higher than normal but still too low for my taste. I'd loop your sling through the loop at the top of the stock. Even though you won't be able to close it all the way, it will hang better when you let go of the rifle.

As for the sling, I can't tell the type, but it looks like it might be a 3-point sling, which many people find way too complicated and inflexible. I like a good adjustable 2-point like the Viking Tactics Padded Sling.