The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2013, 06:00 PM   #1
shootalot523

Want to start reloading HELP

I want to start reloading, but have no idea what I need to start. I know I need a press and dies, but need some suggestions. I don't want to buy the most expensive set up, but I also don't want to get one that in a few years I'm going to regret not spending a little more. I reload handgun and rifle ammo only. I was looking at a Dillion. I'd like to be able to load at least 300 per hour.
Thanks,
Vinny
Old March 7, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
dmazur

Well, there's the sticky for new reloaders -

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

While I started with a progressive press (550B), I had done a lot of reading and I approached reloading in a very analytical fashion. It took me quite a while, using the press one round at a time, until I started using it as a true progressive press (multiple operations per handle pull.)

If you don't have a lot a patience for reading and making fussy adjustments, and you want to get into high volume ammo production first thing, a progressive press may not be a wise choice.

In other words, while a single stage press won't guarantee that your ammo will be safe to shoot, the process is slow enough that you probably will catch a bad round before you make 200 of them.

The typical argument goes, "...and you can always find a use for a single stage press even after you have moved on to a progressive."

If you settle on a Dillon, make sure you don't get the Square Deal. It only handles pistol ammo.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3
smokin54

welcome aboard
They do make stuck case removers . I suggest you take some quite time and sit down and read the manuals , this is a hobby tht does not do well with distractions .
Here is a example of what can happen when distracted , this was a good freinds gun and luckily no one was hurt

Last edited by smokin54; March 7, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Start with the stickies at the top
Old March 7, 2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

Please tell us more

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootalot523
I want to start reloading, but have no idea what I need to start. I know I need a press and dies, but need some suggestions. I don't want to buy the most expensive set up, but I also don't want to get one that in a few years I'm going to regret not spending a little more. I reload handgun and rifle ammo only. I was looking at a Dillion. I'd like to be able to load at least 300 per hour.
Thanks,
Vinny
Vinny, shootalot523,

Welcome to the forum and to reloading. Thanks for asking our advice.

Aside from eye protection and manuals, you only need three things (physically) to load good ammo.

Press because fingers are not strong enough to form metal
Dies because fingers are not accurate enough to form metal to SAAMI specs
Scale (or calibrated dippers) because eyeballs are not accurate enough to measure out gunpowder

Everything else makes things safer, more convenient, more accurate or faster.

You already mentioned that you recognize it is more efficient and cost effective to get equipment that fits your needs for now and into the near future. But we could target our advice better if you shared some information about yourself:

What calibers will you be reloading? you mentioned rifle and handgun, but the more specifics, the better.

What are your shooting goals? Cheap ammo? Ultimate long-range accuracy? Casual plinking, Serious competition - what kind? Cowboy Action Shooting? Strictly hunting?

What quantities will you be reloading for each of those calibers?

How much time will you be willing to devote to those quantities

What is your budget?

Will you be putting your gear away after each session or leave it set up permanently?

How much space will you devote permanently to a loading area, if any?

Do you want your set-up (or a part of it) it to be portable?

Lost Sheep
Old March 7, 2013, 11:12 PM   #6
j357

^^+1 for Lost Sheep ^^
One of us who has the patience of Job and deserves a nomination for Sainthood. Thank you for watching out for so many of our wayward brethren and your efforts to bring them to the flock.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:23 PM   #7
serf 'rett

Welcome to the forum.

Read the sticky at top. I also benefited from reading The ABCs of Reloading before buying equipment.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:16 PM   #8
shootalot523

more info

What calibers will you be reloading? you mentioned rifle and handgun, but the more specifics, the better.

What are your shooting goals? Cheap ammo? Ultimate long-range accuracy? Casual plinking, Serious competition - what kind? Cowboy Action Shooting? Strictly hunting?
Questions from Lost sheep answered-
What quantities will you be reloading for each of those calibers? I would like to load at least 300-500 handgun rounds per session. Rifle, 50 at a time. I'd probably load 500-1000 handguns rounds total per month.

How much time will you be willing to devote to those quantities- I have lots of time ,especially evenings.

What is your budget? Trying to stay under $800 to start. My main focus would be handgun reloading first, then get into the rifle stuff for hunting only. No match or target shooting. Handgun ammo would be used for practice and for IDPA. Also like to load HP for concealed carry.

Will you be putting your gear away after each session or leave it set up permanently? I will build a bench and leave it all set up.

How much space will you devote permanently to a loading area, if any? I have an area the size of a a large desk 6 feet long.

Do you want your set-up (or a part of it) it to be portable? I don't see a need for it to be portable (at least I can;t think of one)

My main calibers I want to load the most of is 9mm FMJ and hollow points, then 45 FMJ and hollow points and 10mm FMJ. Very few 357 for hunting.
As far as rifle calibers- I hunt with 30-30, 25-06, 243, .223 and 30-06

I greatly appreciate the help and welcoming to the forum. I think reloading will be a great addition to the sport of shooting. Hopefully I can save a little money, but I like the fact of making custom loads. Also, any book out there that is recommended I'd be interested in buying. I like to learn as much as possible before venturing into something, especially something that could be dangerous if not done correctly.
Thanks,
Vinny
Old March 8, 2013, 11:41 PM   #9
JimDandy

Keep this repository of conversations from the Law and Civil Rights forum in mind when you think about loading for self defense. I personally don't. I would load for IDPA, plinking, practice, and so on, I'd even try and duplicate SD loads for practice, but I would then unload them, and reload factory SD rounds when I carry.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:42 AM   #10
dmazur

The Sierra Designs reloading manual has a really good "how to" section in the front of the book. I also recommend the Speer manual (which is the same company as CCI.)

The only other thing I can think of is to suggest you exercise some caution if you use YouTube videos as training aids. There is good mixed with bad. (In other words, just because you can find it on YouTube does not mean it is something that is wise to try to duplicate.)

The printed references may be old-fashioned, but they are usually carefully edited by acknowledged experts.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:57 PM   #11
JimDandy

The ABC's of Reloading can be purchases as a Kindle Book as well.

Hornady has a video series on Youtube for setting up their LNL Ammo Plant Press. Not loading specific, but not bad for general press/die maintenance stuff. Worth watching at least once.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
The ABC's of Reloading can be purchases as a Kindle Book as well.

Hornady has a video series on Youtube for setting up their LNL Ammo Plant Press. Not loading specific, but not bad for general press/die maintenance stuff. Worth watching at least once.
I understand that it is only a dollar in ebook form, but omits the pictures. The text is still useful, but some of the descriptions will be hard to follow without the accompanying images.

Check your local library.

Lost Sheep
Old March 9, 2013, 03:32 PM   #13
TheNatureBoy

Welcome aboard. Just in case nobody mentioned this.... Go to youtube.com and search ammosmith. Good information ref reloading. There are others as well. I'm partial to ammosmith
Old March 9, 2013, 04:50 PM   #14
dmazur

The eBook "The ABC's of Reloading (9th ed.)" -

The ABC's of Reloading

is the full book, pictures and all. However, it is $12.99 (unless you are a member of Prime).

I don't think there are many reloading publications available in eBook form, yet.
Old March 9, 2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Hammerhead

Go to a gun show and go to the guy selling used books.
Sometimes you can get boxes of old reloading manuals, gun books and magazines for cheap. Nothing beats having plenty of reading material next to the 'throne'.
I also try to get every issue of 'Handloader' at the news stand.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:29 PM   #16
gundog5

Being new to reloading and wanting to load hand gun rounds, I would recommend you pick up a turret press in kit form. You will get alot more for your money. Most of the kits can be had for under $500. That will leave you money for dies, powder, primmers and bullets. I like clean cases so I would also recommend a cas cleaning system, I perfer the vibrating tumbler but others like the rock tumblers. Good luck and have fun.

PS. Don't forget to pick up a good relouding manual or two (and read them). I like the lyman first and then any major brand, speer, hornaday, sierra.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Lost Sheep

The excellent Lee Classic Turret with all the accessories to load one handgun caliber can be had for about $350. $200-280 if you are willing to compromise on some of the conveniences.

Check out Kempf's Gun Shop Online. $220 for press, dies, primer feed, powder measure. Add calipers, decent scale, loading manual chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaning tool, primer pocket forming tool and you are nicely set up.

When I repopulated my loading bench in 2010, I calculated what it would take (to buy all new) to build what I consider ideal for me, loading 6 handgun calibers at the rate of 200 to 500 a month in a limited space. $700 and I lack for nothing.

I will post some links about building one's own kit a la carte next.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; March 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:38 PM   #18
GP100man

Where ya at Vinny , anywhere close to Myrtle Beach SC. ???
Old March 11, 2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Lost Sheep

Sticky-contains much general information.
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

Sticky-contains much general information.
thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

Thread entitled "Newby needs help." My posts 11 and 13 (A typical new reloader thread)
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391

Just bought my first press. Needs some info tho. (A typical new reloader thread)
thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=659358

I am looking at getting into reloading for the first time (A typical new reloader thread)
thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=658971

Considering reloading (A typical new reloader thread)
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488115

and this one, titled "Interested in reloading" (A typical new reloader thread)
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

My post, Minimalist minimal is the seventh post down.
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

Best starter kit?
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/3325...beginners.html

Informed by my 2010 repopulation of my loading bench (If I knew in '75 what I know now)
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

Thoughts on The Lee Classic Turret Press
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135951

Lee Precision videos
http://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html

Last edited by Lost Sheep; March 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Boomer58cal

If you really get into reloading you'll probably end up with more than one press. I always recommend starting with a single stage press but you don't have to. The thing I stress most is getting as many manuals as possible. Then read them and reread them until you fully understand them. Then come back here and confirm your finding with some of the knowledgeable people here. Manuals! Read manuals. I'm reading a new one almost continuously. Can't read to many. Can't know everything. Be safe over everything else. If your not sure about something then don't do it. I don't want to see you on the 6:00 news!
Old March 11, 2013, 09:15 PM   #21
shootalot523

Area

GP100 Man, I'm a long ways away. I'm from the horrible state of NY (Outside of Buffalo NY)