The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2012, 06:59 AM   #1
jwrowland77

Newbie Decisions Finally Made for First Loads

I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten with all my questions. I'm sure most of them have been beaten to death by newbies.

First load decisions:
Winchester 9mm 115gr FMJ-RN. Going to weigh to ensure consistent weights.
CCI #500 primers
Alliant Unique powder: using start of 4.9 and working up until charge I like up to max of 6.6(if I get there). Got these from manual.
OAL: going to take average OAL from 100 Wwb factory rounds.
Winchester brass: going to trim to make all the same length within recommended guidelines.

Plan on loading 10 of each powder charge to check and see which one I like the best and get the desired results.

Ahhh, ok I feel better. Does this sound like a good plan, or am I forgetting something?
Old March 29, 2012, 07:05 AM   #2
hammered54

I'd skip the trim part..... just load'em and shoot'em.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
bossman

I've never trimmed any of my pistol brass. Only a spot check on bullet weight just for the heck of it when I get a new batch in. Sure not going to weigh every bullet.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
jwrowland77

Let me ask, could the length of the cases affect accuracy? I plan to use my 9mm to start competing in Steel Match.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
bossman

I don't think there will be enough variation in case length or bullet weight to effect your accuracy. You can try to build 10 rounds exactly a like and run them over a chrono and you will get 10 different reading. Hopefully they will be close in numbers. Start low and work up till you find the most accurate rounds, a lot of the time low to mid range loads are the most accurate. My 9mm seem to do best with the 124 gr bullet.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:36 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

For 9 mm free standing shooting I doubt case length will have any effect on accuracy. With a mechanincal rest shooting out to 15 to 25 yards if it made any diffenrance it would be so slight you would need a dial caliper just to measure the differance.

Lets face it. More times than not regardless of case length hand guns are capable of greater accuracy than most of us will ever milk out of them.

Oh and for steels more thimes than not a heavier bullet will do more than anything else. I second the 124 grain recomendation. Mine do well with Berry's plated 124 grain hollow points.