The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 14, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
mukibetser

Selling Guns on Buds Gun Shop

I have my eyes on two new pistoles at Buds Gun Shop but need to thin the herd a bit first. I see that they accept trade ins, and from the prices given on their website they seem pretty fair. For example, a S&W Revolver that I want to trade, with around 350 rounds through it and in 98% condition, has a blue book price of $500, but my local gun shop only offers 50% of that price. I won't give it away. Buds has it listed at $375 buyback price, which I would take.

Does anyone have any experience selling guns to Buds, positive or negative? I understand they have the right to inspect before accepting, but I would at least want to know they will be fair and reasonable before I take the trouble to send it to them. I've had very good experiences purchasing from them in the past. Any input would be appreciated.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Tennessee Jed

I've been wondering the same thing, and am interested to see what feedback you receive.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Bob Knizner

I did a trade with Bud's last year.

They sent a label, I shipped my gun to them on a Monday, Bud's gun was at my FFL on THAT FRIDAY!

Perfect experience, no hidden costs or glitches.

Hope you have a similar experience!

Bob
Old February 14, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Also interested. I hate to ship them a gun without knowing the final price they will give me for it and I can't imagine they give one without seeing it. What happens if I mail it and they change the price?
Old February 14, 2012, 09:04 PM   #5
dancarpenter95

I have bought many guns from Buds and had a great experience. I have gotten better prices selling at the bun shows walking around. I think they offer fairly low trade ins and the unknown factor is not for me.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Last night i had a customer come over to pick up a gun. He told me he had just sold a Para 1911 to Buds and after he told them what he wanted for it, Bud's declined........and then offered him $150 more than he asked. He's happy

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 15, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
mukibetser

Thanks for the replies. For me, it's partially a question of convenience. I took my S&W revolver -- in 98% condition with around 350 rounds through it -- to a local shop in NJ. The guy was very honest with me and told me the blue book value is $500 but he could only give me 1/2 that, even on a trade in. I said no thanks, I'm not giving it away and he understood but that was the best they could do.

It looks like Buds will pay around 75% of the blue book value, either trade or cash. Could I get more by listing it on gunbroker? Probably. But personally it's not worth the bother and I like the simplicity of sending to Buds. I've only had excellent experiences buying from them, so I am assuming that their inspection will be reasonable and that they will pay the price we agreed in our emails unless there is a genuine problem or the gun is not as represented, which I'm not worried about. I will let you know what my experience is.
Old February 15, 2012, 12:19 PM   #8
ScotchMan

Other than trade-ins at local gun stores, I've sold two guns face to face locally. Advertise on a local gun forum, meet in person, both people feel good about the sale. It's also a good way to buy, you can test fire before buying in many cases.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:41 PM   #9
larryh1108

I've done a lot of business with Bud's. They are honest and have great customer service. I would not hesitate in dealing with them. They are a class act.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:25 AM   #10
KenLondregan

I just wanted to know if you followed through with the sale on buds, and if so, how did it go? I have the same dilemma you had. I have a 3rd generation Glock 22 that I want to upgrade. Shore Shot pistol range in Lakewood NJ offered me $250, buds offered me $325 in trade.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:08 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

PM me about that Gen 3 Glock 22. I am probably going to need to buy one for work.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Deja vu

I have bought guns from them on a few occasions. I have never old a gun to them. They have all ways sent me good quality guns.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 22, 2012, 10:47 PM   #13
B.N.Real

You can ask them yourself.

Go to their website and get one of the customer service numbers and call the guys.

They will guide you though what is necessary.

You should know that even if a gun is relatively new,because it must be resold and make the seller money,that fifty percent rule is pretty consistent.

All handguns lose value as soon as you pick the case up off the counter and walk away with it whether it was fired or not.

Now,you are getting into a deal where someone will have to pay to ship the gun to Buds.

Whether Buds will do that for free,I don't think they will-there is a rpomt on the front of their site at times talking about a $40 flat rate shipping deal top get your gun to them.

So you will already be out that amount from the price and your gun will definitely lose twenty five percent in value before you do that.

If you want to maximize your return on your gun,the best way to do that would to sell it yourself or find a local gun store that will sell it for you on consignment.

That is unless Buds will roll over some of the value in your gun into the price of a new gun.

Believe it or not,fifty percent is not an obscene rate of return on a gun that is used that is for resale by the gun store owner.

Call Buds-they'll be happy to see what they can do for you.

I have bought one gun from them and currently have another on three month laywaway with them so I'm happy with them too.
Old February 22, 2012, 11:18 PM   #14
s4s4u

Always try to sell outright before you trade. You will never get what you feel is fair, regardless of where you do business unless they are fools. If you intend to ship your gun to Bud's you must also take that cost into consideration.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:58 AM   #15
BigShep85

I SAY....

Send ma a PM with the guns and their prices and I bet I can beat buds OR list them here on the classifieds and I bet you can get more than any gunshop will give you.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #16
thursday66665

True I just sold one of my guns for an extra $100 than I was offered

Sent from my Droid Incrdible via Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2012, 12:32 PM   #17
pgdion

I follow Cheapshooters rule ... Never sell or trade anything.

My one thought, between shipping, & transfers, and all the other costs (on both ends), a gun has to really be cheap before I bother with an online purchase. factor in Buds mark up and I just have to imagine you aren't getting what you should. I'd rather keep the gun myself than basically give it away.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
AKsRul.e

I'm sure they DO give good trade in value.

If you happen to look at the USED GUN prices on Buds, they are

reeeeeeeeeeeally high.