The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Nathan

Hip Hugging Paddle or other Removable Holster

Does someone make a holster which fits as tight as a pancake type, but uses a paddle or snap on loops for quick on-off capability. I would like to go OWB as my gut is filling the IWB area!!!

Right now, I'm looking at this from James Dean:

or this from Wild Bill's:

Can you post pics of how your holster fits?
Old November 2, 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Nathan

bump for help!!! Please?
Old November 2, 2011, 06:50 PM   #3
JerryM

I don't have photos, but in my experience the snap loop stays against the body like a slot pancake. I think it is the tightest, against the body, of any type.

I have not found that the paddle stays as tight against the body. The design permits the gun handle to ride out from the body.

I have both, although not the best of the paddles, and there is no comparison as to which stays closest to the body. In addition, I find that the paddle itself tends to become uncomfortable after several hours as it is not the shape of the body and the edges dig in slightly.

I do not know anything about the James Dean holsters so cannot comment on their quality as compared with 5 Shot, Alessi, Ritchie, TT, or others. All those mentioned are top quality for the snap loop holsters.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4
scottycoyote

i bought one of the paddle concealment holsters from wild bills holsters at a local gunshow in the summer.....with a good belt this holster hugs your back really well, rides high so its easy to hide with a shirt or vest, i really like mine. Heres the site http://wildbillsconcealment.com/shop...y.aspx?catid=3
Old November 3, 2011, 01:43 PM   #5
JerryM

Don't forget that you have to access and draw the gun if needed. I do not like high ride holsters as it takes too much movement in my shoulder, and it is harder to get the cover garment clear of the gun.

My other objection is that a high ride holster has a greater tendency to ride out than a low ride holster. I prefer the ride of the Sparks I-BAK.
FWIW, and I know many will disagree, but one should try before he makes a decision.

I have not found a problem concealing a gun under a shirt worn outside the pants using a low ride holster.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old November 14, 2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Nathan

I went with the JS Holster. It should be here in a few weeks. I'll post a review.