The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 2010, 08:46 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Mosin bolt firing pin protrusion

I followed the bolt disassembly and assembly instructions from Surplus Rifle and everything seemed clear enough, however...can't really get the jist of how to increase or decrease firing pin protrusion. I have the correct calibration tool that represents the 75 for lowest setting and 95 for highest. I checked it and am pretty certain that the pin is in specification already, but it would be good to know how to change it if ever need be. Maybe I'm just missing something...
Old July 1, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
beadiebob

haven't messed with my nagant in a while but I went to You Tube and watched a guy do his
Old July 2, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
govmule84

Pull the bolt face off. Rest the pin on something that you don't mind getting damaged (A piece of 2x4 works well.)

Push the bolt toward the tip of the firing pin, carefully, against the 2x4, fighting the spring pressure. Spin the rear threaded portion in or out depending on whether you want more or less protrusion.

-L.
Old July 2, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

There should be a mark on the cocking piece which will line up with the slot in the firing pin when it is right. It the firing pin is off a half turn it should be obvious as it will be below or above the surface of the cocking piece. When the two parts are flush and the marks line up, the protrusion should be correct.

Jim