The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 17, 2009, 08:48 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
An arrow shot from a bow can be rigged to have high explosives on it which would be ten time deadlier than any gun on the market
Too much "Dukes of Hazard"?
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 09:18 PM   #27
Willie Lowman

Nice suppressed zip gun.

I have a buddy that collects pen guns and flashlight guns and such. Not my style but interesting conversation pieces none the less.

...On a side note there are a few posts in this thread that make me think some of our fellow TFL members have been breathing the canned air. Antenna arrays? High explosive arrows? The stuff in that can is for blowing dust out of your key board, guys. Stop inhaling it.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:54 AM   #28
rbb50

Ok I guess I may be the only one here that has seen an M80 tied onto an arrow and shot at a target

No telling what it would do if it were high explosives but I sure got an ideal when we were kids using those M80s

Let me also mention anyone trying that could make the Darwin Awards very fast if they tried it with dynamite

When they say kids will be kids you should watch those kids very close or you might find out they are no longer kids anymore when your at their funeral
Old September 18, 2009, 01:16 AM   #29
foggy

Neat piece! Does the bolt recoil rearward when you fire it?
Old September 18, 2009, 11:50 PM   #30
RAnb

Quote:
An arrow shot from a bow can be rigged to have high explosives on it which would be ten time deadlier than any gun on the market
Right. How far will this explosive laden arrow fly? Will it hit the broad side of a barn from more than 25 yards away? Make a video for us.

Ranb
Old September 19, 2009, 12:05 AM   #31
DrJerry

>
Quote:
Right. How far will this explosive laden arrow fly? Will it hit the broad side of a barn from more than 25 yards away?

I doubt it would hit the broad side of a barn if someone was locked inside it.
Old September 19, 2009, 02:58 AM   #32
rbb50

No one here has ever shot a 80# compound bow?

WOW that's amazing

I'm not sure how far they fly but far enough where you will never find that arrow again if you shoot it up and out into a field as it does disappear from your sight except when it has a smoking fuse on it and of course nothing is left of the arrow anyway after that

It seemed like it went about 100 yards or more before it exploded

That’s just with an 80# compound bow

I can not even imagine what a 200# crossbow would do

Last edited by rbb50; September 19, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Yeah that is dangerous
Old September 19, 2009, 12:08 PM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

80 pound bow is a bugger to draw... I think 74 is a ton!
since we are supposed to be grown folks or at least kids acting responsible as grown folks, I think this thread veer is not only silly but rather dangerous...

Back to the homer depot .22... Does the bolt recoil? how hard is it to extract the shell...
Brent
Old September 19, 2009, 02:00 PM   #34
rbb50

My point being that anything home made is very dangerous and you are looking at making the Darwin Awards by doing stuff like that

Other point being many parents have no clue what their kids get into when they have their backs turned.

Usually you hear about it in the news stories sometimes with the parents always saying, "He was such a sweet boy and we just cannot believe he would do such a thing as that"

Sometimes I look back and do consider myself lucky I even lived through my childhood or did not lose one of my three brothers also in someway such as that.

Take a look at your own kids real close and spy on them if you have to.

You might find they need more help than you imagined and are not such sweet kids after all as you originally thought
Old September 19, 2009, 05:29 PM   #35
KLRANGL

Something tells me that chamber is not SAAMI rated

Any chance of a video of it firing?
My guess is that you unscrew the end forward of the bolt (I guess you'd call it the barrel), load a round, and it is held in place when you re-thread the bolt back on. Therefore I postulate that the bolt does not indeed recoil...
Old September 20, 2009, 02:27 AM   #36
MGRacer

The bolt does recoil some and the round is usually partially out of the chamber when the barrel is unscrewed to remove the case. Thus, it is very easy to remove the case.
Old September 20, 2009, 07:02 PM   #37
Phil Ca

The coverted flare gun on duty in Vietnam.

(Approx 40 years and about two weeks ago)The day I got ready to leave our forward base in Vietnam the First SGt. asked me if I would interested in riding in the convoy headed to Di An where our 1st ID HQ was located. I told him I would prefer hitching a ride on a Huey and find my on way to HQ. He took my personal pocket S&W revolver out of th field safe wher it had been for several months and I showed him my export permit required for importation back to conus. The company mail clerk drove me to th air strip on the edge of Phouc Vinh and I started looking for a ride.

Two other soldiers had the same idea about catching a chopper ride. Soon we found a ride to Binh Hua AFB. It was surreal looking down on the defoliated jungle and looking at the shell holes from our arty rounds and the bomb craters from B-52's. We made the trip w/o incident and upon landing we made our way to a bus stop on base. A short time passed and a US civilian worker in an air force truck asked where we were going. He told us to pile our duffle bags and packs in back and two rode in front and one in th rear.

He dropped us off at the exit leading to Di An and we set up a three man defensive perimiter ith our loaded M14's at the ready. In about 15 minutes a jeep bearing a driver and a sceond lieutnant arrived. THe officer said his vehicle was an advance vehicle for th convoy bhind him a couple of clicks. He invitd one of us to ride in the jeep and I loaded my gear and sat in back with my rifle across my knees. As we proceded the Lt. pulled out a small silver cylinder that I recognized as a flare gun. It had been convrted to a zip gun in, get this, .25 ACP! He held it with the barrel pointed out th right side of th jeep. Ihad a loaded M14 and my .38 Special in the back. The Lt. bragged about his "zip gun" and as I had had enough of 2nd Lt's for the past year I said nothing. We made the short distance to Di An w/o the Lt. having to unleash his awsome "firepower".

Last edited by Phil Ca; September 21, 2009 at 05:43 PM.