The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Evyl Robot

Ported Barrels

Does anybody have any experience with ported barrels on shotguns? I've shot one Wilson 12-gauge that had holes in the muzzle, but I didn't notice that it felt any different than a regular 870. I've got a 20-gauge Winchester 1300 that I'm trying to make more friendly for my 10-y. o. to shoot, and would consider porting the barrel if I thought it might do any good. Of course, the primary thing I'm going to do to the gun is to put a shorter stock on it (or cut down the one that's on there). Anyway, input and opinions would be much appreciated on porting. Thanks!
Old August 17, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2
oneounceload

I have several shotguns that came that way - they are target shotguns. I would not pay extra to have them installed, but I'll not buy a gun just because they have them. They're noisier, especially to folks standing beside the shooter, and they also get gunked up. Proper fit of the stock to the shooter and use LIGHT target loads. Too many folks give a id a gun that doesn't fit and also give him hot loads - not conducive to good shooting
Old August 17, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3
RoscoeC

I have a Beretta A390 with a 30" ported barrel. My opinion is that I wouldn't have it done on a gun, but I wouldn't avoid buying one because it had it.

I have a number of shotguns, and in my opinion it is just a non issue. Lots of guys will say that the noise is horrendous. That has not been my experience or the experience of those I shoot with.

Shotguns do not produce enough pressure to make the porting very effective.

Like just about everything, some like it, some don't, some (me) don't particularly care one way or the other.
NRA Life Member
Old August 17, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
dalecooper51

Im not a huge fan of porting. I've shot a couple of ported guns and I haven't noticed much reduction of recoil. They did seem to be louder also. It must work though or you wouldnt see so many ported guns out there.

If your son can handle a little extra weight, you could try filling a couple of empty hulls with shot and put one in the magazine in front of the spring and one in the stock. I think adding a little weight would do more than porting. A good quality recoil pad would help too.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
mp25ds4

I havent noticed much difference in felt recoil, maybe a slight amount
Old August 18, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6
olddrum1

Contrary to popular belief, porting does not lesson recoil. The theroy is, if the porting is done correctly, it decreases muzzle jump for a faster second shot due to less muzzle jump in a competition shotgun.
My question is, this being the case, why port a single barrel trap gun? A 32 inch barrel will give you all the recoil that the shell will provide, and your not firing a second shot.
Old August 18, 2009, 04:21 AM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddrum1
The theroy is, if the porting is done correctly, it decreases muzzle jump for a faster second shot due to less muzzle jump in a competition shotgun.
My question is, this being the case, why port a single barrel trap gun? A 32 inch barrel will give you all the recoil that the shell will provide, and your not firing a second shot.
In high pressure guns, porting if primarily for recoil reduction. With shotguns, it does more to eliminate barrel rise which makes it quicker to get on your second target and may reduce some of the upward kick to the cheek. This gets back to 1-oz's comment on a proper stock fit.

I'm a fan of porting, and all of my comp guns have extra holes in them.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:07 AM   #8
BigJimP

I like having a ported gun in a 12 or 20ga / I don't think its a big deal in a 28ga or a .410....

I think the noise issue for other shooter is overblown / unless you're standing shoulder to shoulder in a duck blind, it won't be an issue. It isn't an issue on a "Trap" line, a Skeet field or in Sporting clays.

Like Zippy said, it isn't for reducing recoil - its to reduce muzzle jump, so you can acquire the 2nd target quicker. All of my "target" guns are ported - as well as a semi-auto that I use as an all weather gun / field shotgun - a Benelli Super Sport in 12 and 20ga. My single barrel BT-100 Trap gun is ported / and it might not be necessary - but that's how it was made - so its no big deal.

Ports are easy to clean - use cotton pipe cleaners... and it only takes a minute...