The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2009, 01:41 AM   #1
boatmonkey82

home made umm fire works ?

i have heard mixed toughts about this and i will admit that in my younger and dumber days as have many made our own home brew explosives . now i am quite sure that it is not lawfull but just for entertainment and non transport of such items what are the rules for this . our biggest one was heard over 20miles away at 230 am . i know you must have a class 3 to obtain dynamite and blasting caps here in nc . and i have also heard that potato guns are considered pipe bombs . i think i know the answers for these but just want to know the real facts and consequences of said black pipe and smokeless powder ? or feel free to slap me for posting this lol
Old January 20, 2009, 02:11 AM   #2
RedneckFur

Your best bet is not to even mention that you've played with such devices. Chances are, its illegal. If I were you, I'd stop right now, If you havent stopped already. Playing with explosives could potenially cost you many years in prison
Old January 20, 2009, 02:15 AM   #3
boatmonkey82

well how do the do pro fire work guys get by making similar devices . and i have long stop doing that stuff
Old January 20, 2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Williespeed

go here some you can get some you need a license for.
http://www.highqualitychems.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old January 20, 2009, 07:56 AM   #5
boatmonkey82

nice website , i may have to try some of the stuff that does not need a permit . maybe some thermite in the mix ? dad owns some towing companies and can think of a few cars to destroy
Old January 20, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
jfrey123

Thermite is bad juju amigo... The one you're going to want is TANNERITE... Search youtube for it and watch people blow up camper trailers, Geo Metros, etc.

Stuff is legal to possess and transport because it's not flammable and isn't considered a "true" explosive. However, a guy is in Federal Court for shooting a DUMP TRUCK full of it and setting off seismic sensors at a nuclear power facility.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:23 AM   #7
LucifersPants

Quote:
Stuff is legal to possess and transport because it's not flammable and isn't considered a "true" explosive. However, a guy is in Federal Court for shooting a DUMP TRUCK full of it and setting off seismic sensors at a nuclear power facility.
LMFAO...never underestimate the awesome power of stupidity.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:24 AM   #8
garryc

At one time you could buy thermite, I don't know if you still can. It came in two cans with aluminum powder in one and iron oxide in another. I believe it also came with a pack of magnisium strips. It was used for welding railroad track. A ceramic shoe was placed over the joint and the powder was placed in. When it burned at around 5000 degrees it would fuse the track together.

I did a job once in which we band sawed a bunch of aluminum castings. I collected the chips and then scraped off a bunch of iron oxide from rusty steel. I knocked the bottom out of a ceramic coffe cup and put it on a piece of 1/2" plate steel. Filling it up with the 50/50 mixture I lit ot off. That stuff went through that steel in short order!

I learned to make several incinerary devices and explosives back in my militia days. Of course that was a long time ago and the statute of limitations has passed several times.

By the way, my father has a pamplet put out by the department of AG, I think it's dated around 1954. It details how to make a diesel fuel fertilizer bomb. It shows how to set them to blow a stock pond. Now that would be a very big boom.
Old January 20, 2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Williespeed

http://www.americanpyrosupply.com/
http://www.skylighter.com/
http://www.pyropage.com/GettingLegal/GettingLegal.html
http://www.pyroinnovations.com/blog1/

herer are a few more good links to information on pyrotechnics, Skylighter has some good information on what they will and will not ship and why. found here javascript:showMsg(1); not sure if this link will work but if you look around there site they will have a new regulations link that will spell it out after some of the more volitale chemicals. use caution and enjoy.
Old January 21, 2009, 07:01 AM   #10
blume357

Poor Man's James Bond has a good section on making fireworks

at least I think it was that book or maybe the Anarcist cookbook not sure....

ether way, personally it's like making bread... a heck of a lot easier to go out and buy it. At least in S.C.
Old January 21, 2009, 05:46 PM   #11
boatmonkey82

yea but the cook book you almost need a phd to understand some of the stuff that is really worth making . we have a old boat with a 4.3 chevy in it and we pulled the head , place some smokeless in , converted the spark plug to hold a fuse and place the head back on . lmfao . it was no louder than a 22 but it busted the piston and the cyl walls . kind cool but soo not worth the effort. as far as the fuel and fertilizer goes i have been waaay to scared to make the stuff and have heard that you need any thing from blasting caps to dynamyte to set it off . class 3 any one ? i know a few old well that i would love to drop a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff down about 75 ft
Old January 21, 2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Are we discussing the legality of making your own fireworks and/or bombs, or are we discussing how fun it is (to play with such stuff)?

One or the other, folks. Care to guess which one I get to close?

I'll be checking this thread in the morning....
Old January 22, 2009, 10:21 AM   #13
boatmonkey82

i kinda think a improperly made firework would be more devestating than a small pipe bomb but then again when the kids who go on a shooting spree dont take homemade bottle rockets with them . i dont see the harm of it as far as laws go but it would be impossible to goveren say mr smith and his friends just having some fun and being responsible vs the local gothic kid with trenchcoat . i guess its like legalizing crack or pot , oh well
Closed Thread