The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 1999, 10:01 PM   #1
BronzeEmu

I figure eventually I'll have several different powders, but I have to start somewhere. My local shop has bullseye and unique so the question is which is best for a beginner? I will be reloading 9mm and .32acp, I have a perfect powder measure and a scale to check weights. CCI primers. Is the higher volume slower burning unique best for a beginner? Thanks for any input.

BE
Old November 19, 1999, 10:11 PM   #2
ARshooter

Both are good powders for the 9mm. Hornady liked the Unique powder over the Bullseye. It's a toss up in my book. Whatever you can get the cheapest. Try both and see which one gives you the best accuracy.

Couldn't find any specs on the .32 acp.

Old November 19, 1999, 10:28 PM   #3
Walt Welch

Here is how to answer questions like this. Go to 'Shooter's Gunlinks' (http://www.shooterslinks.com/), and click on 'product manufacturers, non firearm' then click on whichever powder company you want data about. Then click for reloading data. For Alliant Powder, you should end up here: http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/

You will find the latest data for any caliber you wish. Alliant lists loads for both Bullseye and Unique in each caliber you mentioned.

While Bullseye is, in general, a dangerous powder for a novice who is loading very light loads, due to the possibility of double charging, it should be OK for you. Both of the cases you are using are relatively short, and I doubt a 9mm. case would hold a double charge of Bullseye. I know it won't hold a double load of Unique. In fact, I switched from Unique in the 9 x 19 as the case was nearly full, and granules of powder would be knocked out of the case when my progressive loader rotated. Further, you will not be loading very light loads, as you must load to a level which will function your pistols. This further mitigates against double charging.

I would suggest Bullseye. If you are not using a progressive reloader, then Unique would be a good choice as well. Walt
Old November 19, 1999, 11:15 PM   #4
TheOtherMikey

The burn rate for powders has nothing to do with the reloader being a novice or experienced. You want a fast burning powder for small pistol cases like the .32 and the 9mm. Bullseye is one of the best all-around pistol powders available. Unique is OK but I think I would rather use Winchester 231.

Given your choices, go with Bullseye.
Old November 20, 1999, 05:53 PM   #5
Quantrill

Go with the "Bullseye". More reasons for it than agin it.
Quantrill
Old November 21, 1999, 06:46 AM   #6
Hal

If I recall correctly, Bullseye burns a little cleaner than Unique. I like the more for than agin suggestion, and tend to agree with it.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Old November 21, 1999, 07:52 AM   #7
plateshooter

Hi B.E
You said you have several powers around. Any Red Dot by chance? I've found it is a great all around powder for me, and according to C.E. Harris, it is much less position sensitive than most. I use it in my Shotguns, 9mm, 38 spec, 44 mag (plate loads) and 45 acp. It works for lead bullet loads in my 30-06 and 30-30 Winchester. I never loaded for a 32, so I don't have any experience with that round. You can check it out on the Alliant site as suggested by one of the earlier posters.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter
Old November 21, 1999, 09:39 AM   #8
Joe D

I dumped Bullseye and Unique after 30 yrs. of use for Hodgdons TiteGroup. It is the cleanest burning powder I have ever used. I must say that Unique is a very accurate powder,but it is like shooting black powder. You can order powder from places like Natchezss.com and others.
Old November 22, 1999, 04:33 PM   #9
sundog

do not overlook green dot. green dot, you say? yes! it is bulky and works very well in a number of pistol cartridges. i would tend to stay away from bullseye, by personal preference.

------------------
safety first
Old November 22, 1999, 11:27 PM   #10
Rod WMG

FWIW, I've never used Bulleye. I got started on Unique and have loaded everything from .32 ACP to .44 Mag and .45 Colt, and lots in between with perfect satisfaction. As the name says, it's very versatile.
Old November 23, 1999, 04:30 AM   #11
BronzeEmu

I should have known better than to expect a consensus. You guys sure can confuse a fella!

Got the bullseye, while at the shop I ran into a guy with the same type of press and a "buffet" of powders. He is going to help me get started and let me try some different powders. Reloaders sure are a friendly bunch! BE
Old December 1, 1999, 06:21 PM   #12
Kenneth L. Walters

The plus for Unique is its versatility. A very wide range of cartridges can be loaded with it. The downside, which I think is minor, is that it isn't all that clean burning. Still, for years on end I loaded everything I had with it and was more than satisfied.