The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 10, 2005, 12:51 AM   #26
gmatov

Remington Kid,

Happy to know you are near an old fart like me. I'm only a little older.

Happy to know I was just being stroked a little on the PC of smoking.

Steve, the guy who posted his big shpiel against Wonder Wads also had a link, I think, to Northern Hydraulics, to buy a set of drill press type cutters to cut them in no time. Spinner type cutters. Hundreds per roll.

Ain't it something, you got pennies change when you bought a pack of smokes? Now they just raise it a nickle or a dime. 5 dollar bills in smoke machines. Jesus Christ, we really are pariahs, aren't we?

Ah, well.

Did I mention that 777 does NOT smell like BP? Did I mention that the scratch on your ass matches, or as somebody above says, you can thumb scratch and ignite a real match? I liked that aspect of them.

Back tomorrow, roofer coming in the AM.

Cheers,

George

Old November 10, 2005, 10:39 AM   #27
Steve499

Speaking of being old, I had trouble seeing that narrow blade front sight on my 1858 Remington. Mine has no finish and there was too much glare and the earth's magnetic field shifted every time I looked down it, etc.
I used my wire welder to add a bead to the front sight which is big enough to fit the top strap groove. It really helps me tell where the gun is looking!
Hey, Mike! I was able to post the picture straight off of my computer so whatever problem TFL had in that area has apparently been fixed. My all thumb photography method is obvious but maybe the general idea can be seen.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington front sight.JPG (127.4 KB, 21 views)
Old November 10, 2005, 11:32 AM   #28
MPP1423

Good Lord! Im I The Youngest One On Here?lol.im Going On 36.i Remember Gas Being 79 Cents.lol.hey,dont Take Me Wrong,i Feel Blessed To Hanging Out With So Much Knowledge!!thats How You Learn Things Which Is Why Im Here.my Hats Off To You Older Guys,i Have The Upmost Respect For My Elders!!!i Had Some Damn Good Parents That Raised Me That Way.
Old November 10, 2005, 11:34 AM   #29
MPP1423

Hey Steve,i Get My Wads At The Possible Shop.you Get 100 For About 6 Bucks And They Are A Little Thicker Than The Ones At Bass Pro.i Just Got 300 From Him.his Name Is Don And Great To Deal With.
Old November 10, 2005, 12:21 PM   #30
Low Key

Quote:
Good Lord! Im I The Youngest One On Here?lol.im Going On 36
Well...not quite, I'm a little past 34 myself. Been feelin about 60 this week, busy, busy, busy at work and home.

Quote:
i Feel Blessed To Hanging Out With So Much Knowledge!!thats How You Learn Things Which Is Why Im Here.my Hats Off To You Older Guys,i Have The Upmost Respect For My Elders!!
Ditto! I've learned more over the last 2 months than the previous 2 years!
Old November 10, 2005, 01:43 PM   #31
Remington kid

Steve, That site bead really looks good! I got rid of the post on both of mine and had two matching drift sights but I needed to cut the dove tail in the barrels of my 58's. Then I slotted the dove taile to take a flat piece of Germman silver that I had left over from my long pole building days. Fastend that with silver solider and drove the sight in the dove tail slot. Sighted it in by filing down and rounding my new blade site and drifting left or right. Once it was right on I just placed 2 pein marks on the dovetail and it has never moved.
Got fancy on the other one and used a 1858 dime I bought on ebay, cut in half and placed in a slot on the dove tail and when I had to take it down a little I took the dime back out and took material off the slotted side. It really came out great! My boy has that one and he wont give it back,Lol.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:59 PM   #32
Remington kid

You youngens have taught us old dogs a few tricks too! Your never to young or to old to learn something.
Respect for your elders is a thing of the past for most kids today, glad to hear you guy's still have it.
My dad had a couple of friends who would come around our house now and then they were just striaght out drunks. All of us kids (4 brothers and a sister) still said "yes sir" and "no sir" to them or we would have been knocked accross the room.
Talked to a young boy not long ago and he was getting real mouthy with his Dad (A friend of mine) and I have known the kid all his life and his Dad and I have been friends for years. I asked him what the hell his problem was and why would he talk to his Dad that way? He was made at his Dad because he couldn't go ridding on his 4 wheeler by himself and he said his Dad was a JOKE!!! It was all I could do to keep from going to jail right there on the spot!. His Dad just doesn't say to much or touch the kids or his wife has a fit. She's raising them to express there own inner selves, YEA RIGHT?

Anyway, back to guns and good things I'm going to start playing a little more with some snake loads and see what gives me the best pattern at what distance. When shooting a black powder shot gun the way you load it or how you load it can make a big difference and I think we may find the same thing here. I'll play with that this week end If I can and get back to you. Mike
Old November 10, 2005, 03:06 PM   #33
MPP1423

Yea,my Dad Expressed His Innerself Too... On My Ass!!!!! Lol.thats Why Im The Way I Am Today.i Deal With These Little Punks Everyday And I Just Dont Get It.what The Hell Happened!!! I Dont Have Kids But If I Did They Would Not Act Like These Little S--- Heads Do Today!!
Old November 10, 2005, 03:14 PM   #34
Low Key

Same here, I got the switch across the rear more times that I could count and it didn't kill me. I'm glad that Dad took the time to "correct" me, and explain to me the right way to think and to do things. God gave us a well padded rear for a reason, cause He knows that kids get out of line and a little well timed pain makes a real point.
Old November 10, 2005, 07:47 PM   #35
Steve499

What's the deal? Have I fallen into bad company? I NEVER had spankings, being the kind of kid I was, you know!

MPP1423, I really intend to try some wads but am working on accumulating the stuff to make my own. THE KID gave me some good info about it. I made a wad punch but it is a little too big with the thick (3/16) felt I got at the hardware store. It says it's felt but it burns like some kind of plastic so I probably wouldn't use it anyway. I have some thinner felt that is more pliable and should work but I had to work for my Dad (78) today and couldn't mess around any with it.

REMINGTON kid, do you think your accuracy is improved by the wad? I used to use styrofoam wads to hold the powder against the primer when I was loading really light powder charges in a .38 special. I used them also in a 45/70 for the same reason. You would think styrofoam would just melt but it didn't. You'd find those things about 15 feet downrange with one side dimpled a little and the other side just like it was unfired. I thought I got a little better accuracy with them than without them , which I credited to having a consistant ignition. With black powder in a revolver, the ball is compressing the powder which should serve the same purpose, ignition-wise. Is the cushioning effect on the ball enough to make any difference?

Steve
Old November 10, 2005, 08:21 PM   #36
Remington kid

Steve, I believe anything you do to make a tighter gas seal has got to help. It would be hard for me to tell much difference but I'm sure some of the top shooters could tell you. The wad and a little grease over the wad or on the cylinder mouth really help that .454 ball slide home and the seal has got to be really great. It seems to me that when carring your gun in high hummidity , rain or cold it sure can't hurt to seal around that ball and over the powder as much as you can. Mike

Kevin, The fact that your used to pinching the #11 and having no problem doing it is great. Wish I could send you my #11's.
I like the tight snug fit and when the cap goes off it burst in the form of a pin-wheel, hangs on untel you cock it back again and then it falls clear.
Not all these nipples are the same and thats for sure. I turned mine in a drill press useing a file to smooth up the surface right after I got them and maybe that helped me. Mike
Old November 10, 2005, 08:52 PM   #37
MPP1423

mike,i dont have to pinch them on my ruger but i do on my 58's.i guess the nipples are different.i ordered new nipples for my ruger anyway cause of them not going off.after looking at them i think someone sat around abd dry fired this thing cause the top of the nipples are a little flat,or just wore out.i bought this off gunbroker from a gun store in somewhere,usa.lol.the gun is in near perfect cond but as i told you earlier the caps didnt go off till the second time around.i tried your idea of snugging the caps home but that didnt even work.hell,it wasnt but 13 bucks for brand new ones so thats what i did.

steve,im most likely going to try to make my own too.as much as i shoot these guns it gets a little costly buying these wads.
Old November 10, 2005, 08:54 PM   #38
Steve499

I used those no. 11 caps yesterday. They were loose and needed to be pinched a little for the first couple of cylinders, then fit about right after the nipples got a little fouled up. I still aim to go with the 10s, the no-pinch option is just better when you use a capper.

About wads, I was reading somewhere that the Whitworth hexagonal bored rifle someone had only gave mediocre accuracy until they started putting a .44 wonder wad over the powder, then it became a real shooter. Sometimes the least little thing can change the results quite a bit, guess that's why it's fun!

Steve
Old November 10, 2005, 09:03 PM   #39
MPP1423

well,im not a pro but i do think it helps with a wad.the biggest reason i use them though is to seal the chamber so as not to use the grease.that grease is messy.

i know mike,you'd like to smack the taste out of my mouth for putting down the grease ,dont ya?lol
Old November 10, 2005, 09:58 PM   #40
Steve499

The grease IS messy, Kevin, but if you use the right kind of grease I think it keeps the fouling soft and helps accuracy while keeping the cylinder turning. I always fill the chambers to the top over the ball and blow grease all over when I shoot. Gets all over your hands, coats the outside of the barrel and just gets EVERYWHERE. I love it.

I had a 45-70 Sharps a few years ago that I reloaded with black powder. It shot pretty good when it was clean but got really, really bad when the fouling caked up inside the bore. I never was able to keep the fouling soft enough with the bullet lube I was using, so finally just quit using black powder. If I get another one (and I just might) I think I can whip that problem by lubing with the same stuff I top off my chambers with. I use it (beeswax/olive oil) on my .58 minie balls now and can seat the 40th one almost as easily as the first. the fouling stays sludgy instead of making a hard cake in the bore. I've never fired a BP revolver with wads so I don't know, but if you aren't getting any deterioration in accuracy after prolonged shooting, your wads would seem to be working fine.

Steve
Old November 10, 2005, 10:10 PM   #41
MPP1423

steve i reload 45-70 too and i use 777 with the 44-45 pistol wads to fill the space and i have never had a fouling problem at all.i do the same with 45 colt .
Old November 10, 2005, 10:12 PM   #42
Remington kid

The amount of grease I use is not enough to get anything messy. Mine is Bees wax and bore butter melted togeatherand then placed in small containers. First the powder, then the wad and then just enough grease to form a ring around the mouth of the chamber. Try it some time , you will like how nice the ball loads and how clean the chambers are after you shoot. also like a little grease on the cylinder pin and cylinder pin hole and a very small smear on the star.
New name for Steve, Lol. "Greaser"
Old November 10, 2005, 10:15 PM   #43
MPP1423

well,i just might give it a shot one day mike just so i can say i did.how do you mix yours?how much of each?
Old November 10, 2005, 11:28 PM   #44
gmatov

That's all funny. The forum must be mostly old farts. Dragoon, you got me by a couple months.

Lucky Strike Green was WWII, for some reason they needed the green ink, so the packs were changed to white and never went back. "Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to War". Loved the taste ans smell of Chesterfields, just that I liked Camels better. Smoked them for 35 years till they hit near 5 bucks a pack, AND they made that big deal about additives. When they made them without the added stuff, thay tasted the same as the 3 buck generics, so went to them, then to Winchester little cigars, buck 35 a pack. Hey, I gotta smoke, don't have to go broke doin' it. They do stink, like the PC guy up there kidded me about. I did say kidded, don't take offence. I prefer George to gmatov, just the way I registered..

Did I mention that I just yesterday got my 58 Rem, the Cabelas Pietta model?

Have a Colt repro '51 and '60, the '58 is absolutely magnificent!!! Mebbe because it is my first new one, the others were Gunbroker buys, and them only because I bid a buck more, 3 days later I was told I won.

The .44 has been a blast. Love it. The .36, can't find .380 ball locally, haven't shot it yet. The .375 balls I bought fall into the chambers, not good.

Ah, well.

Cheers,

George
Old November 11, 2005, 06:05 AM   #45
Low Key

That bore butter and beeswax combo sound interesting as well as the beeswax and olive oil combo. Steve/ Mike are those 1:1 mixtures? I might like to try out each one and see which give me the best results.

I've been experimenting with different lubes on the cylinder pin and cylinder star,(bore butter, lard, rem oil, anti seize lube) and I've started experimenting with different powders to see which combo works best for me. So far my best results are (strangely enough) pyrodex ffg and bore butter . The pyrodex produces a lot more fouling than the 777 (it gets all over everything) but it seems to be a softer fouling than the 777. The 777 doesn't produce much fouling and you can spit on it and wipe it off, but while the fouling is dry it's a harder consistency than the pyro fouling.

I'd like to add these beeswax combos and also some fffg goex to the mix and see which one works the best for 24 shots for keeping the gun running smooth. Now if I can just find some beeswax...
Old November 11, 2005, 07:48 AM   #46
Remington kid

1/3 bees wax-2/3 butter. When you mix it just mix a little and let it cool to see if you like the consistency. If not then you can always ad more of one or the other to make it the way you want it. More bees wax will make it stiffer and less greasy, just sticky.
Low Key, Ask around work and friends about any bee keepers or people selling honey. Most bee keepers will be glad to give or sell you some. Also there are alott of traditional sites that sell it.
Old November 30, 2005, 08:39 AM   #47
SmokinTom

Just got 5, 1 pounders of 777 at the gun show for $50.Thats $10 a pound. At our local gun show 777 is always $21 a pound at the dealer tables.Boy,did I luck out.Always check out your local gun shows,its worth it.
Old November 30, 2005, 11:40 AM   #48
MPP1423

Tom,thats One Hell Of A Deal On 777!!its About 25 Buck At The Nashville Bass Pro.
Old November 30, 2005, 04:14 PM   #49
DimitriS

Hi,

I am new to black powder but it seems interesting so I have started saving for a EuroArms Whitworth rifle

Anyways I was just going around doing some rescreach and seeing that your discussing powders here what do you suggest I use ??

Any help would be most welcomed

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old November 30, 2005, 09:36 PM   #50
MPP1423

Dimitris,
I Use Triple Seven By Hodgon But Others Here Use Goex.its Real Up To You And What You Like And What Your Gun Likes.you'll Just Have To Play With It ,the Fun Part,and Find The Perfect Load.the 777 Works Great For Me And It Cleans Up With Hot Water.