The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Do you have a bijou reloading bench?

If yes, then I'd like a picture!

I am soon going to start building myself a reloading area at home, but it will be on the landing at the top of the stairs. This means that space will be a premium.

I need to take measurements, but I think perhaps 4 feet across. I also want to build it into a cabinet style arrangement so that when I'm not pulling levers and measure throats it will all sit discreetly behind a could of wardrobe style doors: it would avoid the kids putting fingers and noses where they're best not put and I also see no reason to advertise my hobby to visitors.

So any neat ideas you have for storage, disguise and space management you'd be willing to share with me for inspiration?
Old May 5, 2016, 05:22 PM   #2
michaeldarnold

Retrying for inline picture.

Last edited by michaeldarnold; May 5, 2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old May 5, 2016, 06:52 PM   #3
michaeldarnold

My bench measures 48 wide x 20 deep and could be adapted into a cabinet pretty easily.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2016, 06:53 PM   #4
michaeldarnold

Better full view. Less stuff on the bench.

Old May 6, 2016, 01:23 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Nice! Any rationale for positioning the press right on one side?
Old May 6, 2016, 01:37 AM   #6
michaeldarnold

I'm left handed, so I work left to right. Also as you can see in the first picture, it allows for me to spread my crap out across the rest of the bench. The press is mounted through the bench top with 6 carriage bolts and the base of the mount easily goes 3/4 of the length of the deck.
It truly becomes one with the bench when bolted down.

It's also removable and can be stored on the shelves if I need the entire bench for something.

I am also a wood worker so this bench doubles its usefulness and allows me a place to build, assemble, drill, hammer, glue, stain, etc. The deck of the bench is covered in peel and stick flooring tiles so it's really tough and resistant to chemicals and use.

Old May 6, 2016, 01:55 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
It's also removable and can be stored on the shelves if I need the entire bench for something.
Whilst I'm leaning toward placing the press in a more central location (benches edges will be up against either a wall or a bannister), I do like the idea of the press being removable.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:11 AM   #8
F. Guffey

Old May 6, 2016, 10:18 AM   #9
9x45

I only have a little corner in the laundry room. All made from scrap lumber.

Compact but efficient.

Old May 6, 2016, 10:20 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Old May 6, 2016, 10:23 AM   #11
F. Guffey

These cabinets have 7 drawers, , I have 5 cabinets.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; May 6, 2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:40 AM   #12
michaeldarnold

F. Guffey,

What's up with the toggle switch?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:11 AM   #13
Shenna9220

I have limited space indoors in which to load but I like to load in a controlled environment, being in Florida that's inside. I converted an old Microwave table and it sits in the corner of the office. So far it has worked out fine. The table slides out from the middle and I added extended legs on the bottom with wheels for stability. The wheels allow me to move it out to the center of the room to use as a cleaning bench. The tumbler and powder measure usually live in the closet when not in use

http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/sh...t.jpg.html?o=0

http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/sh...o.jpg.html?o=1
Old May 6, 2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

Some nice ideas, so far. The creative juices are rising!!
Old May 6, 2016, 03:11 PM   #15
hoghunting

9x45, great job for just a small space as everything is comfortably accessible.
Old May 6, 2016, 04:01 PM   #16
emcon5

I lived in an apartment when I was first starting out handloading. I made a simple bench out of scrap 2x4s that was about 20"(~50CM) square and a little over 2' (~61CM) tall. I boxed in the bottom of the legs and put it on a piece of plywood, so the bottom served as storage for dies and components. It was sturdy, yet small enough to fit in the bottom of a closet, and portable enough I could carry it wherever I wanted to work in my apartment.

I really wish I had a photo of it, and I kind of miss it. Sometimes it is nice to reload wherever I want, instead of the cold garage.

Google image search found me something similar, although this is larger then mine was, it is built the exact same way (well, the frame is the same, mine the shelf on the bottom was below the frame, made a nice storage area with sides, so crap wouldn't fall out when I was moving it around).

http://postimg.org/image/xlz0ngeb3/
http://postimg.org/image/55542zxpr/

If you do a Google image search for "compact reloading bench" and "Apartment reloading bench" you can get lots of ideas, there are a couple of what look like table-top benches people have made, a small box that you set on your kitchen table.
Old May 6, 2016, 09:25 PM   #17
SARuger

Mine is in my gun vault. I used kitchen counters on both sides of the room, one for reloading and the other for cleaning/repairing firearms. My gun vault is small, 9x8 and has safes in it as well so space is tight.

Old May 7, 2016, 01:36 AM   #18
Pond, James Pond

Wow. You've definitely exploited the strengths in the Lee Classic Turret design, there!!

I'm looking forward to getting re-acquainted with my Lee turret. For the last year and a half, a hand press in a warm living room has trumped a turret in a freezing garage.

I will say that my area will probably be about 2 thirds of the width you have there, maybe a little less. And with the slope of the roof coming in over the planned area, I'll have to think carefully.
Old May 7, 2016, 07:53 AM   #19
9x45

SARuger, you have the $$$ for a gun vault, but load on a Lee Turret? Or is that have you could afford to build the vault from the savings, instead of buying a dozen Dillon 1050's with bullet feeders.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Having a small area set aside in my basements den for my bench. Where I could also enjoy the family & TV was a key issue for me at the time due to working two jobs. Not having much free time back then I didn't want to get into building a bench in some dark corner of the basement. A Buddy of mine found me a decent looking free for the taking steel office desk having three deep draws on its right side and a small locking security tray.

A heavy desk it is. Had to un-bolt it down into two pieces and with help to carry it down the stairs to the basement. Otherwise a dolly is needed when its fully assembled. Been pleased with it so far. Lots of hidden storage for dies powders components and 50 lbs of assorted ammo. (< always pays to be prepared )The desk itself is deep/ large enough to stack small sliding draw cabinets that come in handy for labeled what-evers. Enough desks edge to permanently mount my__Lubsizer-2 __Rockchucker & Lee Progressive 1000 and too handle swaging which creates a huge amount of downward force & pressure not all reloading benches can handle. I would promote anyone interested in home reloading. Don't procrastinate about building a bench. It doesn't require a architect design. Just build it and get ta enjoying the art of making your own cartridges.
Old May 7, 2016, 07:10 PM   #21
SARuger

Quote:
SARuger, you have the $$$ for a gun vault, but load on a Lee Turret? Or is that have you could afford to build the vault from the savings, instead of buying a dozen Dillon 1050's with bullet feeders.
I wish, I bet I make less that 90% of the good folks on here. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and doing things myself. Took 3 weekends to build a 8x9 vault. It makes a good safe room too.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:29 AM   #22
9x45

What did you use for a vault door? The ones I looked at started at $1,600.

Old May 8, 2016, 11:22 AM   #23
SARuger

No, nothing like that. A good quality external steel door is fine. At least it will do for me.