The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
gspman

12 ga win aa hull

Went with my son today and shot a couple rounds of skeet. What a blast we had.I am in process of trying to sell my house so all my reloading and most my ammo is boxed up and i could not find my skeet shells ,so not to miss a opportunity to shoot with my son i purchased new win aa loads so i can reload them later for my heavy pheasant loads as i like to newer hulls in those loads.The range person said that the newer aa hulls have a seperate base wad in hull now.So tonight i got flashlight out and compared a new one with old one ,Yeh they look different at base wad.Im thinking i can load them the same but wondering what you guys think.GSPMAN
Old March 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #2
rg1

Winchester says they use the same data as older one piece AA hulls. Lyman's Shotshell manual 5th Edition says "loading data for the 12 gauge Winchester HS High Speed case will interchange with the Winchester compression formed case" one piece AA. You have to watch the new hulls as the lips of the wad when seated can hang on the top of the plastic basewad in the hull. Info I've seen is that shotshell loaders don't like the new Win hull as well as the older one piece compression formed hull and also they don't last as many loading as the old hull.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
myfriendis410

IMO the new hulls load more times than the old, dull finish AA hulls. Same load data, but the main concern with a two-piece hull is that it's possible to have the base wad separate and get lodged in the barrel so that a subsequent round fired would cause the gun to blow up. I haven't heard of this or seen it happen, but it's not possible with the old compression formed hulls. Load 'em up and shoot 'em like your other hulls, but be aware that you may have to change your primer seating depth (depending on the loader), as the base geometry is different.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
rlc323

The newer HS hulls load a bit different depending on the wads you use. Some wad companies have put now a slight bevel on the wad base to ease seating the wad. One tip that MEC put out when the HS hull first was giving folks trouble was to increase your wad pressure to 40lb. to make sure the wad seats properly. You may also have to adjust your crimp die up slightly and the precrimp down to close up the petals properly. I have used many different wads on the HS hulls and have virtually no problems with the Windjammer, and CB-1118 wads. The CB-3118 gives me the most fits, but my CB-3118 inventory is about 10 years old, so no taper on the wad base for sure.

The problem you will notice is a bulged ring and dent in the hull during the crimp stage if the wad does not seat properly.

The base wad separation deal was limited to some early production issues where the base wad was not seated in the brass correctly. I have never personally seen the basewad work loose, and I have reloaded hundreds of them. That said, I generally load a shotgun hull 3 times then pitch them.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
TheoShooter

I have reloaded and shot literally tens of thousands of the newer Winchester AA hulls and have never seen a base wad come out.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
gspman

THanks for the feedback.I will heed your advise when get my loading set up again.I just had the thought that maybe i have loaded some of these before without knowing it.do all of the high speed hulls as you refered to them have [hs] on the brass head like these do.Ive had my reloading stuff taken down for two months now and i really miss it.I would love to go downstairs and load something.i miss it like i do shooting.Thanks again GSPMAN