The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2012, 10:43 AM   #1
rhinonewshooter

O/U chokes - which one on top?

Does it matter where you put the tighter choke on your O/U?

I usually have sk/sk, so it doesn't matter. Shooting sporting clays and have an IC and IM choke. right now I have the IM on top, for no particular reason. But it raised the question in my mind - is there a rule of thumb, and if so, what is it.

My thought, again for no particular reason, is that in the various presentaitons, the first shot will likely be closer, and I would start with the lower barrel.

But I'm new to O/U, so was wondering if top/bottom choke selections had a particular rhyme and reason.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
BigJimP

Typically you want to fire the lower barrel first...( its more in line - with the center line of the gun ) ...less muzzle jump, etc...

.....so if I want 2 different chokes in the gun / I will put the more open choke in the lower barrel and the tighter one in the upper barrel.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
PawPaw

Generally, if I remember correctly, O/U have the open barrel on the bottom, while S/S shotguns have the open barrel on the right.

However, with the newfangled invention of screw-in chokes, you can have it to suit your particular fancy. Enjoy!

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 7, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Creek Henry

I always used to shoot U first, but I find it so much easier to reload O that I shoot the top first. With moderate recoiling loads, it doesn't matter much. Also, in the field where I might only shoot once (and reload one barrel, O is faster). If I know I'll shoot both (like for clays), it doesn't matter.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
oneounceload

I start with the open in the bottom and the tighter choke in the top. However, if I get to a station in sporting clays where I am only changing the open choke for one even tighter than the top barrel, it doesn't really matter.

SUPPOSEDLY, the bottom barrel is more in line for recoil and with the mass of the heavier barrel on top flips upward less. Whether there is any truth to that or if one can even tell, I couldn't tell you.

I do know that the high-end fixed choke pigeon guns all have the more open of the two chokes in the bottom barrel
Old June 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
zippy13

The geometry of an O/U gives the lower barrel less eccentricity about the neutral axis, so it will tend to rise less under recoil. Because of that, most folks shoot the lower barrel first and typically have the more constricted choke in the top barrel. That being said, there are exceptions: My trap combo is locked to shoot the upper barrel first because that is the barrel used when the single barrel is put in the same action.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
SUPPOSEDLY, the bottom barrel is more in line for recoil and with the mass of the heavier barrel on top flips upward less. Whether there is any truth to that or if one can even tell, I couldn't tell you.
Its obvious in my 682 that the recoil is inline with the bottom barrel.. It become readily apparent when trying to shoot a double with the top barrel first..
Old June 7, 2012, 01:35 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Whether there is any truth to that or if one can even tell, I couldn't tell you.
You can't deny the physics, but...
I shoot Skeet doubles with the lower barrel first and Trap doubles with the top barrel first. The Skeet gun is a little heavier and the trap gun a little longer and, as my friend 1-oz speculated, I don't notice any difference. Perhaps if I were shooting boomer duck loads, I'd notice a difference.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:56 AM   #9
olddrum1

Winchester made a 101 that was used in live bird shoots. Kind of gun of choice. It had screw in chokes for the lower and fixed full for the upper barrel. Used the more open choke for the close shot and then if the bird did not fall you had the full choke barrel for the second shot. Helps to know if the target is coming in or going out.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:40 AM   #10
rhinonewshooter

Ironically I am shooting a Winchester 101 - but it came from the factory with full/full set chokes. Prior owner sent it to Briley, and had them tap out for the thin walled chokes - and had it set up for a set of their tubes, all with removable chokes. I'll be using the 20 ga tubes tomorrow