The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 19, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1
NAVET

Ruger - SMith and Wesson

I know that SW's tend to outshoot Rugers but Ruger makes a stronger gun. What kind of work needs to be done to a Ruger to make them comparable shooters? I'm all about doing what I can do, but I also know my limits. Is the difference in the barrel quality / build quality?
I read the poor mans trigger job and that is right up my alley as well as marrying the seer.
Old February 19, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Slopemeno

Which Ruger?
Old February 19, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3
NAVET

Sorry. Blackhawk in .41Mag.
Old February 19, 2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Not much. I found a guy years ago who had a technique of doing a 90 degree sear on a Blackhawk and he could get the triggers *very* light with zero issues; look for a smith who does something similar. The CAS shooters probably have a smith who does that. All the po' boy trigger jobs work, but a trigger done properly is head and shoulders better.

As far as human engineering, I'd probably have the smith who does the trigger job also do a free-spin conversion on it at the same time. It makes loading under pressure quite a bit easier IMHO.

After that, maybe a Bowen rear sight. Beyond THAT- learn to reload and practice, practice, practice. The Blackhawk is probably the most performance-per-dollar-spent you can buy. +1 on getting it in .41 mag, BTW. I always wanted to do one in 4-5/8", with an aluminum grip farme and ejector rod housing to keep the weight down.
Old February 19, 2008, 02:26 PM   #5
NAVET

The work will get done later. I was just wondering why SW's shoot better out of the box and what may need to get done to my Blackhawk to get it to shoot better.
Part of the reason I got my Ruger was because of the value. SW may be a better shooter but you also pay a LOT more, almost twice as much. That and there were no SW's in .41MAG to be had.