The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 11, 2006, 09:52 AM   #1
40CalGuy

Albuquerque Varminting

Hi all! I've killed many a computer, many a hard drive...and the Mac G3 was just excellent! However, I am looking for something more of a challenge. I will soon have a .223 varminting rifle to take to the range. What I am looking for is someone within an hour or two drive of Albuquerque, NM that has land...and a varmint problem. I am not quite sure how to address this proposition, and therefore, must state that I welcome all inquiries and requests. I just want to be safe, and develop a mutually pleasurable relationship with a landowner that needs some help on the weekends. I have exhausted my personal contacts here in town, and have come away with nothing so far. Any responses or inquiries would be appreciated! Thanks for the help!
Old May 11, 2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Scorch

Go to the local feed store. Pick up some of the farming papers. Put an ad in the papers. Sit at home and hope.

OR

Go out and meet the farmers in the areas you want to hunt. Get out, talk, shake hands, tell them what you are looking for. Stop at the greasy spoon restaurants where ranchers and farmers go in the morning (this means 4:00 AM or so to ranchers). Buy a cup of coffee. Sit. Talk with the ranchers. Sooner or later, one of them will tell you about someone they know who might be having some problems. Go, find the man, help him out.

Most ranchers have no need for people to be shooting on their land, so don't ask if you can shoot on their land. Ask if they know anyone having problems with squirrels, prairie dogs, or whatever your game of choice may be.

Most ranchers are very familiar with firearms and treat them with due respect. They expect you to do the same. If you shoot up their cattle, irrigation equipment, dogs, rocks, or whatever else you weren't there to shoot, you will likely be asked to leave and not come back.
Old May 11, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
40CalGuy

Good advice

As an initial side bar, if I was to be shooting at varmints, and went about shooting at other things, I might just as well expect to get shot at. I wouldn't ever do such a thing, but I do appreciate the information. Maybe it will come in useful for someone that is reading this, or will read this post. Good idea on the feed store, and greasy spoon restaurants. Actually, one of my favorite places to eat is a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Murphy's Mule Barn, and it's right next to a feed store. Hehe, not a better combo to be had in my neck of the woods, I don't think! And also, thanks for the tips on not asking to go shooting on a ranchers land. I have known my fair share of ranchers in the past, but at the time, had no ambition of going varminting. They are a respectful lot, and generally appreciate their downtime, and quiet. I can see how someone in his mid-20's looking to blow up some fuzzy bastards may not be the ideal situation for a quiet guy in his mid-50's to put up with. All I can do is try, right? Anyone got a line on a sure fire rancher in need?
Old May 11, 2006, 04:10 PM   #4
taylorce1

Varmint hunting is a good way to show the landowner that you respect his property. So when you want to hunt something larger they might just give you exclusive rights to hunt or at least the first option if you want it. Offer to help out on a weekend or two around the property fixing fence or cleaning a barn this goes a long way with earning the respect of the land owner. Remember it is always a two way street when hunting on private land.