The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 12, 2017, 10:39 AM   #1
rjinga

1st Range Trip with Contacts

What a difference contacts make! Now, instead of a grayish blur beyond my front post, I see a really small shape. (Still working on hitting it, but at least I can see it better now.)

The rifle: PTR 91 GI with the standard iron sights. Ammunition: MEN 16 (first 40 rounds) and German surplus (last 20 rounds). I shot everything, except for the last target, from a table with a gun rest. There were some wind gusts (my target stand blew over once before I put a rubber mat on the base).

The first two shots at 25 yds (white circle at 9:00), and then I adjusted my rear sight for windage (it had become loose), and fired the third shot (1” diameter pink bulls-eye):

Dog target at 25 yds (simulating a full-size target at 100 yds); 49 out of 50, with five shots inside of, or touching, the 1.25” diameter V bulls-eye:

Red Dawn sniper at 50 yds:

Dog target at 50 yds (simulating a full-size target at 200 yds); 45 out of 50, with three shots inside of the 1.25” diameter V bulls-eye:

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 12, 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
rjinga

Cont.

Red Dawn observer at 75 yds:

Dog target at 75 yds (simulating a full-size target at 300 yds); 42 out of 50, with one shot inside of the 1.25” diameter V bulls-eye, and another touching it:

Red Dawn observer at 100 yds:

Dog target at 100 yds (simulating a full-size target at 400 yds); 20 out of 50:

Red Dawn full-size at 100 yds. I fired these shots while standing and using my sling. It was not snap-shooting, but it was a quicker pace. I think the missing shot went low (so it still could have struck him in the crotch or leg):

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 12, 2017, 01:20 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

How were you shooting without contacts?!?!?
Old May 12, 2017, 04:18 PM   #4
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16
How were you shooting without contacts?!?!?
I was wearing my prescription (from three years ago) glasses.

Old May 12, 2017, 04:55 PM   #5
2damnold4this

It is important to be able to see the front sight when shooting irons.
Old May 12, 2017, 07:34 PM   #6
FITASC

I went the other way. I am nearsighted but shoot a lot of clay target games. I got contacts decades ago for distance and peripheral vision. However, I also have an astigmatism in my dominant eye - works great for far targets using a shotgun, but sucks trying to shoot a pistol. Tried my bi-focals so I could peek at the front sight and then shift my head for the front sight - didn't work so good either. Started trying to shoot without any correction - front sight is crisp, target a little blurry. Shooting a rifle with a scope (to keep this on track), I found that set-up to work better too.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 15, 2017, 09:27 AM   #7
PlatinumCore16

FITASC That is certainly interesting, but it definitely makes sense with your astigmatism. You might try contacts out again, the technology has changed a bit from even 10 years ago. But at the same time, if it works for you, don't change a good thing.