The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 19, 2014, 07:52 AM   #1
rdtompki

Trigger Reset and Target Transition (IDPA)

Following my first IDPA match last week I've been thinking about trigger reset and trigger control when engaging multiple targets from the same position. I didn't think about any of this during the stages, but I'm assuming that following the last shot on a target the best approach is to hold the trigger back and start moving the trigger to reset as the sights are aligning on the next target.

There obviously are many different techniques: release to reset immediately after target engagement, complete release following engagement. What works best for most folks?
Old June 19, 2014, 10:21 AM   #2
g.willikers

Allow the trigger to move forward to the reset position while heading for the next target.
Takes quite a bit of practice, though, to be able to do it without thinking about it.

Last edited by g.willikers; June 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:39 AM   #3
RickB

What would be the benefit of consciously holding the trigger back, if that's what you are planning to do? That is, you have to let the trigger reset, and you have to transition to the next target, but why would you "wait" to reset?
If you are talking about "follow-through", continuing the press after the sear has released the hammer, then yes, that's a good idea.
I don't think swinging the gun with the trigger still depressed makes any sense. Get the trigger reset during recoil, and be prepping for the next shot as you transition.