The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Beagle333

The mailgirl arrived! (and it's raining...)

And me with a new mold too. I am really hoping for a break in the clouds!
This is the Accurate Molds 359-162V. I liked the 158 grainer they had in the catalog and asked if he could bump it up to 162 grains and widen the nose to a .290 meplat. This one looks like easy casting and lubing (1 groove) and the flat nose should make it a good thumper!

And if it ever quits raining... I'll post pics of the castings!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Well there ya have it....

My wife said I am banned from reading your post, well sort of, but only after I had 4 new molds picked out and blamed it on you..... Common rain, rain, rain....

I was looking at several of them a couple of weeks back myself, but I figured since I had the MP 358-640 with the different pins I was good for now. That one there looks like a winner for sure though, I bet it would be great poured up in something around a 10-12 BHN, greased up real good with some Carnuba Red, and trotted out to a deer at about 1100fps.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Beagle333

I like it!!!

I really like the nice flat nose on this thing, and this is 50/50 pure/WW, with just a smidge of tin. I really want to see how nice it'll look when I bump the tin to 2%. They drop at .3595 reliably with this alloy.
I varied my casting temps to see how it liked the alloy, and as usual, right when I hit the perfect spot with best fill-out, the temp was 810-820. (I checked it 4 different times during casting) That's what my other molds like too, but I had always been using isotope alloy before.

Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; July 29, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old July 29, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
LAH

Those be pretty.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
lee n. field

Bullets look like the Lee 158gr LSWC.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "